Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sunshine Coast Fishing  (Read 10720 times)

gmoney

• I'm going to try to catch a fish!!
Sunshine Coast Fishing
« on: August 12, 2004, 01:26:17 AM »

marmot: where exact did you fish for the pearch?  Since I have no luck with salmon I might as well fish for something that bites and keeps my lines tights besides snags at herrling.  Im willing to pay the $30-40 ferry to catch perch, What is the limit you can keep for perch?  Where you fishing from the cliffs, dock?  Last time i went to sunshine coast I finish from the ferry terminal which is banned for fishing now,  A lot of rock cod and ling cod therre before,  Tons of shiners which i would use for bait.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
Re:sunshine coast trip
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 11:14:52 AM »

That brings back a few memories.  I grew up on the water on the Sunshine Coast (Egmont) and spent many a summer day fishing perch.

There may be better methods nowadays, but this is how we used to do it.  As their name (pile perch) implies, they like to hang around underwater structures that have lots of feed and shelter such as pilings and docks.  They are cagey and have small mouths, so we'd use a small single hook (#12 or so IIRC) and small leader, with little or no weight (maybe a split shot).  We'd grab a handful of mussels off the piling or dock.  If there was a seaworm in there, then great, cut that up & use it.  If not, just use mussel.  The soft bits work great but don't last long; the heart & gills last longer.  Or you can thread a whole small mussel on the hook then crush it.  It's important to hide the shaft of the hook.  Drop it down & watch.  When they suck it in, set the hook.

That's what made it fun I think - you are watching the whole thing & it's a battle between you & the fish.

As for where to go, I would think you should be able to find them anywhere there are pilings at a government dock.  If there are any public government docks in West Vancouver that would work.  Or Snug Cove on Bowen Island, the government wharf in Gibsons, Porpoise Bay, Halfmoon Bay, Madeira Park, Garden Bay, Egmont etc. etc.

Good luck & have fun.  As you mentioned, the hardest part is keeping shiners off the hook.   :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 11:32:33 AM »

A tiny piece of beef works well. It's tough and stays on the hook a long while and catches fish.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 11:45:53 AM »

Ya, I was just looking for underwater structure, like boulders and ledges, thats where all the big ones go anyways.  You'd have to take a couple ferries to get up to saltery, thats the drag.  Turns out to be about $100 with you and a buddy for both.  I imagine there are spots right near Van to get them too though....anyone aware of any?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 01:02:04 PM »

The Stanley Park seawall produces perch.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 02:13:03 PM »

interesting.....under the lions gate bridge area?  Somebody at Ambelside told *may* have mentioned something about that...not sure though... still cant beleive how tasty they were.

must try.

Yopesco

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 09:38:47 PM »

I have got perch at Belcarra and Barnet Marine Park. Pretty funny there, people look at you like you are a freak when they see you keeping such small fishes. Once you get a few in 10-15 minutes, they realize you'll have a meal there and suddenly everything make sense for them. Still a good time.

My favorite bait for perch is a tiny piece of chiken, it stays in the hook very nicely if you put it rigth (have got up to three fish with the same piece of bait). I have also use scallops (stay OK) and shrimps (horrible).

Best perch-fishing place ever for me: Halfmoon Bay in Sunshine Coast. ;D

Yopesco

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 12:34:54 AM »

You can catch perch, rock cod, lings, dogfish, flounders, tommycods, bullheads (goes without saying) and the occasional cohos off the seawall. Most of the oldtimers who fishes down there use sea worms

otto

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 05:06:30 PM »

if you cant eat the oysters becasue of toxins (redtide), but you use them for bait, are you not at risk from the toxins when you eat the fish that ate the oyster???

just wondering if any scientist types out there could answer this.

JigHead

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 01:38:38 AM »

if you only know how to cook the soles/rockfish marmot ... if you only knew :P hehe  

go fish at ambleside so i can bug you...

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 08:38:25 AM »

Try a small piece of chicken skin. I like to dye it red. It will stay on the hook forever.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2004, 09:33:53 PM »

haha, jighead, youre funny!  I don't have to know how to cook them, just catch them, my girlfriend is an awesome cook.  I might actually be heading out to ambelside area to try for a coho, have you ever caught any there, or do you just like the tiny flounders? ;)

As for toxicity of eating fish that ate red tide oyster, im not too concerned.  I'm still alive!  I'm honestly more concerned about my mercury levels since I eat so much sushi.  By the way, you'll find some of the best sushi in town at Toshi sushi, on 16th and main. mmmm
still best right off the hook though...

and, uh, where would one go on the seawall ?  any places better than others?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2004, 09:40:23 PM »

The turnoff to Georgia Street before Prospect Point

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 11:14:49 AM »

thanks dude!!!

gmoney

• I'm going to try to catch a fish!!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 01:06:22 PM »

what ime is good? mornings? evenings? anytime? low tide? high tide?  

Squid would work well too since they are rubbery and stay on the hook, but smell like a that thing swirling the toilet bowl.......when i flushed it.  ;D ;D