Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Koi carp in Sproat river Vancouver Island!!?!!!  (Read 1550 times)

Phronesis

iblly

• Old Timer
Re: Koi carp in Sproat river Vancouver Island!!?!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 09:08:10 PM »

Nope probably not good

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 12:02:08 AM »

Well that sucks. Hopefully there aren’t enough of them to establish a large population. I also wonder what part of the Sproat this is at because they *might* not be able to make it past the falls of it’s in the lower section. I’m almost certain they can’t make above Stamp falls though so the spawning grounds there are likely safe. In any case, it would be a good idea to make sure these carp don’t stick around because a LOT of salmon are in this system.
Someone was here

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 12:22:50 AM »

Obviously these fish shouldnt be here and were released by unresponsible pet owners. Though how much damage would they really do other than maybe eat some eggs.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 07:30:38 AM »

Obviously these fish shouldnt be here and were released by unresponsible pet owners. Though how much damage would they really do other than maybe eat some eggs.

The story I heard (that might very well be wrong) was that a really bad flood a few years back that allowed these fish to swim out of a private pond. As far as eating eggs, they could definitely do a lot of damage to the trout and salmon stocks if they made it to the spawning beds in sproat lake and it’s tributaries
Someone was here

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2022, 08:09:16 AM »

Accidental release from a nearby pond is certainly a possibility. Infestations at locations like Dragon Lake have been linked to the Buddhist festival Vesak day where it is traditional to release or free captive animals. Apparently BC Fish and Wildlife has been working to educate the Buddhist community about possible issues with the practice and make them aware it is illegal!

Koi are just common carp and after a few generations return to the natural coloration. carp are common throughout the Lower Mainland and yet there isn't a carp problem in the Chilliwack (they are abundant in the Sumas) or other rivers. So it remains to be seen if the Sproat and Somass. Stamp system is suitable habitat. They are bottom feeders and prefer sediment river beds and not gravel and rock. I suspect they don't cope well with heavy flushing from floods like many of our rivers get.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Old Blue

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 07:22:35 PM »

Anyone got a spear gun, should be easy pickings for an invasive species like that