Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis Chinook  (Read 2756 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Chehalis Chinook
« on: August 14, 2022, 11:34:19 AM »

Is this time of August still worth heading out to try and catch a chinook or is it too late similar to vedder at this time? What about the summer steelhead? I see the Little Campbell is open starting monday for one hatchery chinook a day. Anyone have any experience in these fisheries? Little campbell people were saying the place its open is on native land? Couldn't find too much info so thought I would ask. Thanks in advance.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Chum Slayer

Re: Chehalis Chinook
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 12:10:50 PM »

On the Vedder right now you can hook chinook around the top fishing jigs and prawns or a good chunk of roe, on the Chehalis it's the same except you will have to walk more. It's the twilight hours of summer salmon season, so if you are going out to either of those systems, now is the time to get out. not sure about the little Campbell.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 02:28:31 PM »

Please don't take this the wrong way, but just as an FYI it's best not to discuss smaller systems on an open forum like this. Now I haven't been to the Chehalis this year at all, but I'd rather find out for myself than have someone post on here about this system. In years past, whenever someone posted about the Chehalis, it turned into a complete gong show. It still may. Anyway, it's always best to go for a hike and look for yourself. It's not always about catching fish. Pre-scouting can pay off dividends for the upcoming Fall run.  ;)

As for timing, it is getting quite late for the summer chinook on our local systems. You can always catch fish, but you will be likely weeding through lots of dark fish if you find them.

Just my 50 cents worth. Otherwise, post away at your (and other's) peril!!!  ;D ;D ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 03:29:49 PM »

there isn't any sort of summer steelhead run in the Chilliwack though stories are heard about the odd fish being caught. The Chehalis was stocked modest numbers of summer runs but that was stopped a few years ago.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Chum Slayer

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 05:18:12 PM »

there are some summer runs on the Chilliwack There pretty small though only about 4 to 6 pounds. Both I and my father have long-lined released them.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 05:30:44 PM »

Just my 50 cents worth. Otherwise, post away at your (and other's) peril!!!  ;D ;D ;D

That attitude is the reason it took me years to find out about the Mill Lake pike fishery. Not everything has to be a secret.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 06:19:42 PM »

there are some summer runs on the Chilliwack There pretty small though only about 4 to 6 pounds. Both I and my father have long-lined released them.

does that mean you never saw or had a good look at them?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Chum Slayer

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2022, 06:34:21 PM »

I sight fished for them they were 100% summer-run steelhead.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 10:37:12 AM »

Thank you all for your advice.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 10:56:08 AM »

That attitude is the reason it took me years to find out about the Mill Lake pike fishery. Not everything has to be a secret.

WHAT??? There's a pike fishery at Mill Lake? OK everyone - let's go!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 06:35:05 PM »

.................Not everything has to be a secret.
.........but some things do.....   :-X
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 09:07:55 AM »

As someone who has fished the Chehalis for 35 years I can tell you that river is not a secret.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 10:33:04 AM »

As someone who has fished the Chehalis for 35 years I can tell you that river is not a secret.
X2
It has been well known as the place to go when the Vedder was blown out since I have been coming up to BC to fish for almost 30 years. Unfortunately, access on that river has gotten much worse, so i can imagine that crowding is worse.