Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fresh water van island chinook  (Read 1277 times)

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
Fresh water van island chinook
« on: August 08, 2022, 09:07:26 PM »

Hello all, I will be on the island next week for the week and was wondering if there were any fresh water opportunities for chinook? Or summer steel. I was reading about the somass for chinook but finding if the timing was OK was harder. And I also read about gold river for steel but I read the gold has seen some dire days of late, and I don't want to put undue stress on a dire run. If you have any wisdom or tips to point me in a direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In advance all!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Fresh water van island chinook
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 10:54:49 PM »

A tad early for the Somass. Mid September and October

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 08:38:44 AM »

In my limited experience some of the rivers see some chinook in mid August but it so many years ago now i don't know if it's still valid. August was a good time for steelhead on the Heber River but I have read numbers of fish have dropped significantly like they have for most steelhead on the Island. Most of the other steelhead rivers will be too low and warm for good fishing unless you are heading to the North island. Now would the time to fish pinks in the mid- lsland beaches; Nile creek, around the Oyster and Campbell River. The Campbell itself should be excellent. By next week coloured fish should be more common but it should still be good for clean fish.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:50:40 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 01:48:24 PM »

Thanks for the info RalphH. I looked into the herber and in the regs it says no fishing in red, so I don't think that's an option, but the gold is open to catch and release of steel, so maybe I can try for em below the confluence of the two.