Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: leader strength and baits for coho  (Read 1910 times)

Chum Slayer

leader strength and baits for coho
« on: August 08, 2022, 07:07:14 PM »

I know it's a bit early however I just can't wait to go coho fishing again, there nothing like walking the vedder on a crisp october afternoon to go drift fish for some silvers. However, since I haven't fished for coho for a few years I was wondering what you guys use for your leaders. I myself usually run 10 pound fluorocarbon and beads however this year I am going to try six after some advice from an old-timer. Also on a side note, I was wondering what recipes you guys use when curing salmon eggs for bait.

roeman

Re: leader strength and baits for coho
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 09:03:42 AM »

Your wishing away the summer. 
everyone has there own favorite way of curing eggs.  All kinds of info on youtube, pick what suits you best from there.
Leader strength all depends on style of fishing and water height and clarity.
8 - 10 is more that enough if just targeting coho.
Are you fishin or catchin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 11:55:49 AM »

There are many factors that determine the appropriate leader diameter; size of the fish, the bait or lure (including flies), water clarity & fishing pressure are a few. Some experienced guide claim it doesn't matter as coho are not leader shy. Personally for chucking flies or lures I use #10 maxima green for coho and steelhead at least in the Fraser Valley. For a long time #8 was the go to for drifting bait. Six lb sounds a little light but some people  like a challenge. Most coho are about that weight or less in any event
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 04:20:47 PM »

......personally would never use 6#......could be OK in low clear pressured conditions ..... if the bait gets swallowed 6# + teeth  = bye bye ..... 8# flouro maybe better bet .... personally use 10# maxima and 10# flouro lightest is 8# maxima...plus the wack is likely to be polluted with whites this year so.....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Chum Slayer

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 06:33:59 PM »

are the white springs good for eating if I were to accidentally catch one?

canucksfan233

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 06:42:16 PM »

Depends. They STINK A BUNCH, but I feel like its half and half on the population that like/dislike white springs. Don't know if you like one until you catch one and try it I guess?

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 07:21:55 PM »

Lots of your favourite marinade  :)

Phronesis

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2022, 07:35:06 PM »

Remove the skin and dip the fillet in milk for about 10-15 mins (can use milk powder) to remove the stinky smell
An alternative is use all purpose flour and vinegar in some water (into watery form) and dip the fillet for some time

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2022, 10:39:44 PM »

10 pd test leader Maxima green about 18 inches long. 8 pd test Seagur Fluorocarbon if the water gets low and clear.

Aki

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2022, 11:46:30 PM »

In clear conditions I use 8lb leader (mostly Maxima ultra green); in slow water use longer leader; in faster water use a shorter leader. I also go down to #4 hooks and use very small hard beads (4 or 5 mm) or larger soft beads. In terms of white springs; I use the back of the knife to scrape off the slime that provides the smell, before I take the fish home. White springs smoke up wonderfully; with the fat they are just great! I don’t can them; i do pressure cook cohos which are good for canning, but nothing beats sockeyes for canning.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 07:38:08 AM »

are the white springs good for eating if I were to accidentally catch one?

IMO and of quite a few others they are very good however they lose flavour quickly as they colour up. Be sure to take ones that are silvery or at least somewhat silvery. Don't take the ones where the belly has turned grey or brown. I can't comment on smoking them  when they are coloured as I have never done that.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:34:22 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.