Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any suggestions for good quality chest freezer?  (Read 3437 times)

Phronesis

Any suggestions for good quality chest freezer?
« on: August 08, 2022, 10:43:03 AM »

Hi folks,

My wife and I are having a fight over the freezer space :D So here I am, in the market to buy a chest freezer (around 7 to 9 cu ft) that goes below -21 C. This will be mainly to store some of the fish I catch (hopefully) I caught two red springs and my current freezer is full already along with other stuff.

Budget is around 800$ - looking for some good quality and long lasting ones

Let me know your recommendations

Thanks

bravo252

Re: Any suggestions for good quality chest freezer?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 11:57:58 AM »

Go check costco. Danby 10cu for $450 before tax.
My 7cu danby is serving me more than 10 years without any hassle.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 02:35:39 PM »

Second the Costco recommendation. Why -21 in particular? Eating sashimi? ;D

I bought a vacuum sealer (Foodsaver brand) years ago at Costco. Wasn't sure if we'd use it much, or if it would be one of those things you sell a few years down the road after having used it twice. We've wound up using it a ton for fish processing... eating fish that's been in the freezer for 12 months and tastes the same as the day it went in. We also buy the giant packs of meat at the store, then divide it into smaller bags and freeze it. Would recommend looking into those units, if you don't already have one!

bravo252

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 02:54:58 PM »

I bought a vacuum sealer (Foodsaver brand) years ago at Costco. Wasn't sure if we'd use it much, or if it would be one of those things you sell a few years down the road after having used it twice. We've wound up using it a ton for fish processing... eating fish that's been in the freezer for 12 months and tastes the same as the day it went in. We also buy the giant packs of meat at the store, then divide it into smaller bags and freeze it. Would recommend looking into those units, if you don't already have one!
X2

Phronesis

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 03:08:32 PM »

Go check costco. Danby 10cu for $450 before tax.
My 7cu danby is serving me more than 10 years without any hassle.

Thanks - will definitely check it out

Phronesis

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 03:16:24 PM »

Will check Costco recommendation.
Thats right - I love Sashimi, and would like to have it even after the salmon season. I just got vacuum sealer :D Never had a fish in freezer for longer periods of time, will try sealing them for the rest of the year. Thanks

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 03:23:50 PM »

One word of advice for the vacuum sealers: be careful handling the packages before and after freezing, because the pin bones in the fish will sometimes poke an invisible hole in the bag that ruins the seal. Every time we get a piece out for dinner, I always check to see if any bags have been compromised (the plastic gets a bit loose) and then use that one first.

Spot prawns are the worst for poking holes in the bags. I found that wrapping them in parchment paper and then sealing them works pretty well to prevent punctures.

Phronesis

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 03:59:40 PM »

One word of advice for the vacuum sealers: be careful handling the packages before and after freezing, because the pin bones in the fish will sometimes poke an invisible hole in the bag that ruins the seal. Every time we get a piece out for dinner, I always check to see if any bags have been compromised (the plastic gets a bit loose) and then use that one first.

Spot prawns are the worst for poking holes in the bags. I found that wrapping them in parchment paper and then sealing them works pretty well to prevent punctures.

Oh wow thats a good point, never thought of it and thanks for the great tip. I am too lazy to remove the bones so wrapping it would definitely help.
Was looking up Costco online - How does Frigidaire compare with Danby?

Roderick

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 04:00:53 PM »

My Danby just keeps going and going even in this heat  :D

For long term storage, make sure the freezer is not frost free.  Not only are regular freezers cheaper, your stuff lasts easily twice as long. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Phronesis

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 04:34:40 PM »

My Danby just keeps going and going even in this heat  :D

For long term storage, make sure the freezer is not frost free.  Not only are regular freezers cheaper, your stuff lasts easily twice as long.

Danby it is then.
Didnt know about frost free freezers until you mentioned it, only makes sense, thanks

blueback

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2022, 03:07:51 PM »

I've had my Danby upright freezer for 17 years now and still works well (knocks head and crosses fingers).

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2022, 03:10:39 PM »

Something I learned the hard way - don't EVER plug your chest freezer into an extension cord, even if it is one "for appliances". That was the only reason mine died, and it was an instant death.

Phronesis

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2022, 05:53:47 PM »

Interesting, all my appliances are connected directly to wall socket. It makes sense to have appliances connect directly since some can draw more power at times like during startups

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2022, 06:18:02 PM »

Interesting, all my appliances are connected directly to wall socket. It makes sense to have appliances connect directly since some can draw more power at times like during startups

Interesting. Why not ?

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 09:10:48 AM »

Something I learned the hard way - don't EVER plug your chest freezer into an extension cord, even if it is one "for appliances". That was the only reason mine died, and it was an instant death.

I had no problems with it. Why do you think your extension cord killed the fridge?