Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any suggestions for good quality chest freezer?  (Read 3411 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: Any suggestions for good quality chest freezer?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2022, 10:09:27 AM »

I had no problems with it. Why do you think your extension cord killed the fridge?
Everything I have read specifically warns against it, and the death was instant - as soon as I plugged it in with an extension cord, it was dead. Worked fine before that. I was rearranging my garage and thought I could move the freezer 3 feet to the left. I was wrong.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2022, 10:28:54 AM »

Everything I have read specifically warns against it, and the death was instant - as soon as I plugged it in with an extension cord, it was dead. Worked fine before that. I was rearranging my garage and thought I could move the freezer 3 feet to the left. I was wrong.
I may have gotten away it with because I have the smallest Danby Upright model.  If I had room to squeeze in a bigger model, I would have bought it.

GordJ

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2022, 07:04:45 PM »

As someone who was an electrical journeyman for about 45 years this is the first that I have heard of this. I can’t imagine that there is any way that the freezer can tell that one of the thousands of pieces of wire between it and the generation source is an extension cord. Or why this one piece of copper wire is verboten. I can’t speak to your experience but I have had freezers plugged into extension cords since the Beegees were number one with no issues at all. Sorry but it doesn’t pass the smell test in my opinion.

Phronesis

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2022, 11:22:07 PM »

As someone who was an electrical journeyman for about 45 years this is the first that I have heard of this. I can’t imagine that there is any way that the freezer can tell that one of the thousands of pieces of wire between it and the generation source is an extension cord. Or why this one piece of copper wire is verboten. I can’t speak to your experience but I have had freezers plugged into extension cords since the Beegees were number one with no issues at all. Sorry but it doesn’t pass the smell test in my opinion.

Several articles and manuals say that one should avoid connecting multiple appliances to an extension cord and reason is due to possible voltage drop, this could definitely kill an appliance. For references just google

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2022, 07:00:01 AM »

Extension cords 101: https://www.electrical101.com/extension-cords.html

the issue is with high wattage/amp drop

"Extension Cords with High Wattage Appliances

Certain high wattage appliances should not use an extension cord when possible (check the owner’s manual). Using an extension cord on these appliances could cause excessive heat and voltage drop, this could damage the appliance or motor.

Some high wattage appliances have a short cord to minimize voltage drop, and should be placed near a receptacle. Vacuum cleaners have a long cord and should not need an extension cord.

If an extension cord is absolutely needed, use one with the proper rating (derated by 125% when necessary) and as short as needed. You can find an extension cord specific for window air conditioners.

Below is a list of high wattage appliances that should not use an extension cord when possible.

Hair dryer
    Electric space heater
    Window air conditioner
    Garbage compactor

Countertop microwave
    Electric tea kettle
    Toaster / toaster oven
    Coffee maker"
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

GordJ

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2022, 07:39:12 AM »

For references just google
I don’t think I need to google anything. I understand electricity quite well. Ignoring people with experience and “googling” is how we end up with anti vaxers, flat earthers and Illuminati haters. An extension cord is just a piece of wire and freezer compressors just use ordinary electrical motors. Use a piece of wire that is rated for the load and forget about it.No voodoo, no special needs.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2022, 09:17:47 AM »

I can't think of a single way that even an inadequate extension cord would mean instant death for a freezer. There must have been another wiring problem or in the freezer unit itself. as i understand it if the cord isn't adequate it may get hot. Likewise the freezer motor may be damaged over a period of time - like hours. I also defer to Gord as it's his profession.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2022, 09:28:08 AM »

I don’t think I need to google anything. I understand electricity quite well. Ignoring people with experience and “googling” is how we end up with anti vaxers, flat earthers and Illuminati haters. An extension cord is just a piece of wire and freezer compressors just use ordinary electrical motors. Use a piece of wire that is rated for the load and forget about it.No voodoo, no special needs.

Absolutely, nothing beats experience, but are they right all the time? probably not
Most people, including me, would not calculate load for each appliance that goes into the extension. So its easier to tell common people like me to just avoid connecting multiple appliances to an extension than explaining all the technicalities.

Nothing wrong with googling as long as you know the right articles/sources you are referring from.

Roderick

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2022, 06:58:34 PM »

On the other hand, moving a freezer, especially an old one, can cause problems. Just a thought. 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

GordJ

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2022, 08:53:17 PM »

Absolutely, nothing beats experience, but are they right all the time? probably not
Most people, including me, would not calculate load for each appliance that goes into the extension. So its easier to tell common people like me to just avoid connecting multiple appliances to an extension than explaining all the technicalities.

Nothing wrong with googling as long as you know the right articles/sources you are referring from.
I guess you’re right and I’m wrong. Go with the internet guy, he’s an expert. But who brought up multiple appliances? We are talking about one freezer on an extension.

ern

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2022, 12:13:44 PM »

Maybe a fuse? My first thought was voltage drop. Introducing additional resistance caused by the extension cord (its gauge and length) will result in a voltage drop that will in turn cause the fridge to draw more current to perform its normal function (ohm's law). I'm sure there will be some wiggle room depending on the fridge, but basically more current drawn will result in increased heat which can stress out the compressor motor.

Although overly simplistic, I like this article as it clearly explains some potential hazards that may be encountered when using an extension cord with a fridge. It also provides guidance if you do want to use one.
https://101appliance.com/can-you-use-an-extension-cord-for-a-refrigerator/

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2022, 07:23:12 PM »

thx
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 09:19:53 AM by dennisK »