Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vacation gone wrong- I need help and suggestions  (Read 1669 times)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
Vacation gone wrong- I need help and suggestions
« on: August 01, 2022, 07:40:29 AM »

Alright.  So,  I convinced our family that we are renting. A lakeside home for our vacation towards the end of august.  My daughter is working now and getting the days off were so hard for her but she did it.  The plan was as follows-

My kids love to swim. When they weren’t swimming they would come out and fish.  I was going to bring my boat and do some fishing while they were swimming and my wife was going to hang out at the cabin. It was perfect and everyone was happy. 

Well. Here comes reality.  I just found out the lake has “swimmers itch” in it.  We don’t want the girls to catch it.  I know it’s nothing major but I don’t want them worrying about it and also getting rash just before getting back to school

So on to the FWR network.  Does anyone know anything for rent or have a place they would rent out and is lake front.  Will allow swimming and fishing.  It doesn’t have to be trophy fish.  Just somewhere we can wet a line and get the kids swimming. 

Internet and phone is a big plus.

Thanks guys
see ya on the river

hammer

Re: Vacation gone wrong- I need help and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 11:22:49 AM »

I grew up swimming in Okanagan lake and some beaches had swimmer's itch. I believe it's from a organism found in duck and geese poop. I remember one way to limit it is to towel off quickly after getting out of the water. If you "air dry" it gives the little beastie a chance to get into your skin. Many beaches have it, I do remember the towelling off being fairly effective.
I would imagine there being some higher elevevation lakes that would fit your needs. Maybe Lac La Jeune?
Good luck and avoid the itch.
Hammer

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 03:03:37 PM »

Thanks Hammer.   

calling a few places... not sure what to do.  ugh~~~
see ya on the river

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 04:18:50 PM »

swimmer's itch is cause by a parasite carried by some species of aquatic snails. If one showers with soap immediately after getting out of the water & the parasite won't have a chance to fix to the skin.

Info: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/swimmersitch/faqs.html
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 05:28:13 PM »

Ya.. I hear you Ralph....  this aint gonna work..lol... especially that the kids are in the water soooo much.
see ya on the river

jwilliamson

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 06:21:18 PM »

I grew up summering and swimming in Okanagan Lake just outside of Peachland. Swimmers Itch was always present. Baby Oil (not the best for sunny hot days and burning) or waterproof suntan lotion (type you rub in) is what we used. And definitely towel dry as soon as you are out of the water.

redside1

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 06:52:34 PM »

try Sheridan lake resort or Loon Bay resort both at Sheridan lake on hwy 24.
Both have "affordable" cabins in today's world.
Swimming areas roped off for safety.
My wife has swam there for many years with zero issues.

Either resort offers lots for kids to do  be it swimming, volleyball, etc. There are boat, Kayak & paddle board rentals to be had.

Fishing can be good

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 11:38:07 AM »

we are going to explore Powell river.   a bit of a different place but... ah..what can you do
see ya on the river