Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assault by jetboat operators on a fisherman on the Vedder  (Read 19742 times)

avid angler

Re: Assault by jetboat operators on a fisherman on the Vedder
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2022, 04:12:13 PM »

Of rufus admitting in writing that he threw the rock

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2022, 04:22:26 PM »

I've been on the phone and emails with my SFAC colleagues, DFO, mayor's office, Tourism Chilliwack all afternoon regarding this as we are all appalled by the incident and know the urgency to deal with it right away. After some further discussion, it appears that there already is a speed restriction for the river and the issue appears to be enforcement and users choosing not to abide by the rules. The rule, within Ministry of Transportation legislation states that a 10km per hour speed restriction is in place on all waters within 100m from the shoreline. The City of Chilliwack has already assisted MOT by affixing a speed restriction sign to the Keith Wilson Bridge for all watercraft to see, none of us were told when this happened. Now that we know, it will be well publicized and more proper signages will go up at key locations. Expect a more formal media release next week on this particular incident and the issue.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2022, 04:36:23 PM »

Of rufus admitting in writing that he threw the rock

Oh "Rufus"... so you know his name as well? Sounds reliable.

In the absence of anything more definitive I am skeptical.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2022, 04:38:23 PM »

Only you Ralph… He’s a pretty recognizable dude…. I’m also not defending the boaters. I just think everyone should face the consequences of their actions

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2022, 04:41:31 PM »

Rod I believe power boats are not supposed to be operated in areas where bathers are in the water...I'd think that includes anglers & tubers.

Over the years, I have been  buzzed by power boats at 5 , 6 or more times that speed on many location within 50 to 100 feet of the shore including some well known guides and fishing personalities.

The best solution is to stop the use of power boats on most of the river.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2022, 04:43:10 PM »

Only you Ralph… He’s a pretty recognizable dude…. I’m also not defending the boaters. I just think everyone should face the consequences of their actions

Yes I could see from the video he is recognizable. As I said and I don't on the face of it put stock in what you claim to have or have seen [a screen shot]. I'll leave it at that.

avid angler

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2022, 04:43:50 PM »

I don’t know how to post it

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2022, 04:47:19 PM »

Are you referring to the screenshot of him admitting to throwing a rock into the water and then throwing another in self defence.

avid angler

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2022, 04:49:28 PM »

The one I have just says threw a rock doesn’t say it was into the water.

Phronesis

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2022, 05:06:16 PM »

Rod I believe power boats are not supposed to be operated in areas where bathers are in the water...I'd think that includes anglers & tubers.

Over the years, I have been  buzzed by power boats at 5 , 6 or more times that speed on many location within 50 to 100 feet of the shore including some well known guides and fishing personalities.

The best solution is to stop the use of power boats on most of the river.

Totally agree, On my last trip I saw kids running away from the shore when they saw the speed boats approaching (there were 3 of them in line)
like everyone said its a matter of time when an accident happens before someone decides to take action

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2022, 05:29:03 PM »

Don’t think you can operate a jet boat at less then 10km, so that would effectively close it.

Not sure continuing to beat someone after they take a knee is showing someone a lesion think your getting into sociopath territory, or maybe it was just all the beers

sumasriver

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2022, 05:37:09 PM »

Do fishing guides need to have a clean criminal record ?

This guy should not be working in the industry with that kind of anger / violence / dangerous operation of a power boat issues......

Can the BC guide association take action against his guide license?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2022, 05:43:04 PM »

Are you referring to the screenshot of him admitting to throwing a rock into the water and then throwing another in self defence.

Seen lots of stuff posted online about this including the screen shot I’ve seen someone claim there was rocks thrown but they all missed, seen some claim he fake threw rocks, seen someone claim the operator of the boat is a guide.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2022, 05:52:37 PM »

Do fishing guides need to have a clean criminal record ?

This guy should not be working in the industry with that kind of anger / violence / dangerous operation of a power boat issues......

Can the BC guide association take action against his guide license?

"The following criteria must be met in order to proceed with an application for an Angling Guide Licence:

Must be nineteen (19) years of age or older.
    Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada (i.e. a landed immigrant).
    Must satisfy the Regional Fish and Wildlife Manager, within the region you intend to operate, that you have a working knowledge of the Wildlife Act and Regulations. This is done through the successful completion of the Angling Guide exam.
    A person who is an angling guide must have public liability insurance, in an amount of no less than $2 million, that is:
        a. Applicable to his or her angling guide business, and
       b. In effect during the period for which the angling guide will operate."

from: https://portal.nrs.gov.bc.ca/web/client/-/angling-guide-licence

I don't see any requirement for licensed guides to be members of the  BC guide Association so I can't see that they can take any action.

BTW unless it's changed Guides can employ assistant guides who are not licensed and can take anglers out fishing on their own...without a Licensed Guide present.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 05:57:50 PM by RalphH »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2022, 05:56:02 PM »

Just close the river to motorized boats above the highway bridge, already. Jeez. It's baffling to me that jet boats are still allowed, let alone choose to go ripping up the river during peak swimming/floating season.

Someone's going to get their head taken off by a boat and that'll be the catalyst needed to institute a ban or restriction. What a world it would be if we would act before the inevitable accident, rather than after.

I agree, the foreseeable problems that could occur are only fixed once its too late. A block away from my old high school there is a LOT of construction going on and loads of trucks coming in and out. The block where lots of kids walk home after school didnt even have a sidewalk and its been complained about so many times and earlier this year a 14 yr old afghan refugee was struck and killed by a truck.  Its always they wanna fix the issue after a tragedy has happened.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin