Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Assault by jetboat operators on a fisherman on the Vedder  (Read 19756 times)

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
Re: Assault by jetboat operators on a fisherman on the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2022, 11:29:02 AM »

Just close the river to motorized boats above the highway bridge, already. Jeez. It's baffling to me that jet boats are still allowed, let alone choose to go ripping up the river during peak swimming/floating season.

Someone's going to get their head taken off by a boat and that'll be the catalyst needed to institute a ban or restriction. What a world it would be if we would act before the inevitable accident, rather than after.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2022, 11:47:50 AM »

Or the boat owners reaction could solely be based on too many Budweisers and a couple of girls in the boat to impress. Just as likely as the rocks thrown situation. All speculation right now. Sad situation either way.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2022, 01:36:25 PM »

The Fraser Valley Sport Fishing Advisory Committee has been bringing up this issue at numerous meetings since two years ago. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened. We're just fortunate that there hasn't been a collision or fatality, yet. Since the incident, we've identified the individual who assaulted the angler, it's an angling guide, which makes it that much worse. Email communications have been going around since yesterday between DFO, the province, members of the SFAC, Transport Canada on pressing for some degree of restrictions on motorized boats upstream from KWB so this type of conflicts can be eliminated. Yeah the river is for everone for sure, but realistically certain activities just can't be mixed with others for safety concerns. That's why we have designated trails for horseback riding, mountain biking and hiking, so users can access them without worrying about collision or other accidents. This incident leaves a black mark on tourism in Chilliwack. We got so many positive things happening here, and it just takes a few bad apples to ruin it.

avid angler

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2022, 01:39:57 PM »

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2022, 01:42:11 PM »

How badly did the guy get hurt? I saw there was a video but not interested in watching it. Pretty depressing.

avid angler

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2022, 01:48:06 PM »

There was a fair bit of premeditation in this case and intimidation; one guy assaulted the angler & one of his mates stood by to block intervention.

However the few times I have been present in such a situation all it took was to tell the people in the confrontation to take it easy or calm down. Warning them it was being recorded on video may have made a difference.

I'd also say they are not justified to thump the guy because someone through a rock out in the river. BTW there was at least when I read it no verification a rock was thrown. No witness said they saw that.

There will be more of these confrontations as it usually takes years to change maritime regulations if it happens at all. FWIW roaring up and down the river is technically legal.

The angler who was assaulted admitted to throwing the rock and I personally spoke to witnesses about an hour after the incident that said he was throwing rocks.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2022, 01:56:33 PM »

The angler who was assaulted admitted to throwing the rock and I personally spoke to witnesses about an hour after the incident that said he was throwing rocks.

Well technically throwing rocks into the river is not illegal. Just like bombing up and down the river in a jetboat is not illegal.

Did a rock strike the boat or the jetboat driver? Since you were there and talked to people. Did a rock hit anyone.

Because if throwing items into water as a boat passes as justification for assault then any fisherman casting a spoon deemed "too close" by the boat operator...what precedent is that? it's grounds for a beating? 

And why didn't the operator of the jetboat just stay and call the RCMP to report his boat being hit. There were witnesses, as you say to back him.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 02:01:00 PM by dennisK »

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2022, 02:17:39 PM »

the fact that this was guide makes it that much worse. how can you have no hull registration numbers and used the boat for guiding. he should know better. hopefully transports canada gets involved. thats a 200k boat new.

avid angler

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2022, 02:21:31 PM »

You sound like Saul Goodman

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2022, 02:30:28 PM »

You sound like Saul Goodman

Your honour the witness is evading the question lol.

Love that show.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2022, 02:56:58 PM »

with all the stupid going around these days i wish i became a lawyer. no shortage of work.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2022, 02:58:00 PM »

He admitted it to you or did you just hear it from someone else? I guess we have to wait for it to go to court, if it does.

from the article:

More than one person contacted The Progress to claim that someone on the shoreline threw a rock at the boat prior to the assault, but the two witnesses did not report that.

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2022, 03:26:26 PM »

I don't understand why it took 15 minutes to realize someone threw rocks before turning around to come back  ???
Regardless, its terrible .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

avid angler

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2022, 03:49:11 PM »

He admitted it to you or did you just hear it from someone else? I guess we have to wait for it to go to court, if it does.

from the article:

I have the screenshot

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2022, 04:06:37 PM »

I have the screenshot

of what? Do screenshots have audio? I can't see what point you are making.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.