Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kyuquot Sound, July 7th to 10th 2022  (Read 4378 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Kyuquot Sound, July 7th to 10th 2022
« on: July 13, 2022, 10:17:48 AM »

We were in Kyuquot fishing with Dave Murphy again this past weekend and as always, it was a very enjoyable trip. After two years of COVID restrictions, it was nice to be able to dine in together with all other guests instead of having packed meals. That made a huge difference to the experience. :)

The fishing was excellent. The average weight of the chinook salmon seemed to be a bit smaller compared to other years, but I managed to land one just over 20lb, while the rest were in the 10 to 15lb range. There was a high abundance of coho salmon in the area, which has never happened for us whenever we were there during this time of the year. They were also quite big for this early in the season, which is a good indication that it may be a good fall coho salmon year.

During the first evening, while trolling for salmon, I managed to hook a halibut (in this pic). My had a sore back for the rest of this trip.

Here is a few photos, will show more later. :)

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Kyuquot Sound, July 7th to 10th 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 10:13:39 AM »

Great report, looks like a fun trip and hit the timing right!

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 10:27:52 AM »

We were fishing just north of you, a few days earlier, and must have passed you on the road! Our group was fishing out of Winter Harbour/Quatsino Sound with Oli's from July 2-5.

It was only my second time fishing WCVI (last year we went out of Tahsis) http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=44160.0

We fished from Solander Island/Cape Cook, north to San Josef Bay.

We were on the early side for the salmon, so fishing was fair to good for springs to the mid 20's and coho. What I enjoyed the most was jigging for lingcod. While trolling for salmon, or anchoring up for halibut, is fun, I much preferred to have a rod in my hand, jigging, feeling for the bottom, feeling the fish hit 200 feet down, and setting the hook hard.  Fishing for big lings to 28 pounds was fast and furious.

One the more memorable experiences was this young humpback that breached over and over, seemingly non-stop.

We could see him breaching from a distance as we approached, he breached multiple times while we tracked him, and he was still breaching as we left.  The guide had never seen that behaviour before. We were close enough to hear the thump as he hit the water. Very cool.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 11:59:33 AM »

Great stuff! Nice to see everyone out and about again.