Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 77784 times)

cdjk123

Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2022, 03:15:12 PM »

The way Fred's has them displayed at the front of their store, your be convinced an opening was imminent lol

cdjk123

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2022, 03:20:56 PM »

Before we start worrying about shore fishing spot access lol... Let's worry about how the rest of the stocks which everyone hopes to target are doing so far.

I mean, considering most of the bars and fishing spots no longer exist, you can't blame a guy for wanting to do his homework just in case an opening does occur. Last thing I'd want is to be looking for spots on my 1 day off

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2022, 03:24:23 PM »

No fot sure. My point is that I think the likelihood of an opening is disappearing quickly now.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2022, 06:15:22 PM »

Before we start worrying about shore fishing spot access lol... Let's worry about how the rest of the stocks which everyone hopes to target are doing so far.

Early Stuarts are more than double the preseason forecast.

Good story in the Sun: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/strong-sockeye-salmon-runs-bode-well-for-famed-fraser-fishery

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2022, 06:17:36 PM »

The way Fred's has them displayed at the front of their store, your be convinced an opening was imminent lol

Fishing stores get advance notice of openings (or are part of the discussions on openings).

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2022, 07:02:58 PM »

Early summers are looking horrible but the summer run is looking between p25 and p50 and I beloved there is still commercial TAC at the P25 level. So even if only 5 million return there is still likely to be an opening.

The thing that’s not really in any of our control thos is of numbers are poor do we really want to harvest this return down to minimum escapement levels.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 07:15:03 PM by wildmanyeah »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2022, 09:14:52 PM »

Fishing stores get advance notice of openings (or are part of the discussions on openings).

No they don't. :) I get the same information as Fred and others, which is pretty much the same as what the public is getting, except maybe one or two days earlier. There have been no discussions on potential openings.

We are now talking about stocks that may or may not make the P25, P50 pre-season forecast estimates, when these same stocks were returning at exceptionally high numbers four, eight and twelve years ago. I'm not sure why so many are still excited about pushing for openings.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2022, 10:14:50 PM »

You're working late, Rod.

It was an off-hand remark that I shouldn't have made (I couldn't remember the details).
My comment implies that they have more than a week's notice but as you said, it is more like a couple of days.

But what if there are 20 million fish?
The Sun article mentions the 30 million return in 2010.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2022, 10:19:47 PM »

You're working late, Rod.

It was an off-hand remark that I shouldn't have made (I couldn't remember the details).
My comment implies that they have more than a week's notice but as you said, it is more like a couple of days.

But what if there are 20 million fish?
The Sun article mentions the 30 million return in 2010.

At some point around ten plus years ago, we'd get information a week or two before any potential openings. Not information on definite openings, but more on what was being worked on etc. This arrangement allowed us to provide feedbacks, an actual dialogue process was happening. In the last three or four years, I'd say we pretty much get the information at the same time as the general public when the fishery notices are released.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2022, 07:57:30 PM »

Marine test catches are very low but the in river ones are decent,

Gonna make it tuff for managers

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2022, 03:59:34 PM »

New run size has been adopted by the Fraser River Panel for the early summer group - 760k fish, half of the pre-season forecast at P50.

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=263502&ID=all

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2022, 04:11:12 PM »

I find it interesting that only 10% of the fish are taking the inside passage now. Also, the report noted that the Thompson component of the Early Summer group comes in later, so that part is unknown. Water conditions are good, and the amount of Summer fish already seems to indicate a very strong run overall (but they won't say so).

canucksfan233

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2022, 08:32:51 PM »

Just saw this on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/100007804059034/videos/622292052559746/

Delete if not allowed, but I find it kind of annoying that they choose to build it during the summer during the sockeye run where so many groups are dependent on it. I guess the water level is lower, but right in the middle of the sockeye run? Would March not be better (Ice?) due to freshet not quite hitting yet and very minimal salmon (if any) in the river at that point?

Who knows, I don't work in oil and gas 🤷‍♀️

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2022, 10:35:18 PM »

What exactly is it we we are looking at here on the video link?

Cyanescens

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2022, 08:44:15 AM »

DFO, in their infinite wisdom, has set the construction window for instream works to a couple weeks in August, saying that this is the window of least impact. This is for all construction projects in the lower mainland at least. They do not appear to consider that different watercourses may have different run timing.