Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 77799 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 11:11:42 AM »

Not sure where your info is from but here's the final document from PSC for 2018:

https://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/fraser-river-panel-weekly-reports/#73-580-2018-1530130611

I had originally pulled my 13 million number from the pre-season estimate (first report) - just over 12 million in 2018.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 11:15:59 AM »

That 12 million was the run sized adopted on September 21st 2018, not the final run sized adopted, which was somewhere around 10 and 11 million fish.

https://watershedwatch.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/2018_Fraser_Sockeye_Summary_Near_Final-G_Taylor.pdf

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 07:29:27 PM »

Id imagine its going to open mid-late august as the summer run is predicted to be the largest component.  Who knows tho

There will be first nation commercial fisheries above mission if the numbers are their so i see no reason not to open it for rec fishing.

Those affected by the big bar slide. Long range weather forecasts are for hot dry weather for the next  month or more. River levels will drop improving slide passage but rising temperatures could increase mortality. Wait and see, my expectation is the floss fishery won't happen. However I don't have a particular  expertise in this area & it's just a layman's guess.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

armytruck

• Old Timer
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Phronesis

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2022, 09:22:01 AM »

Interesting
https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/highlights/alaskan-fishers-intercepting-bc-salmon-at-jarring-rate-4943714

Catching few was understandable but more than half a million fish being harvested that was headed to BC is a crime ! People here put everything to protect and the Alaskan commercial fishermen take everything .....arghhh

if there is a political involvement from BC to stop these fishermen I would happily participate / sign.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 02:20:45 PM »

Two week opening starting on the 13th?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 05:35:50 PM »

apparently current test fishing returns indicate a lower return at about the p25 level.

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=262905&ID=all&fbclid=IwAR0STQYm1U4ekn8VDXzGrmZ5Og7tGcEdxD2PbOhGRhCIvOJoCRyqfILzJN0

The Fraser River Panel met August 2, 2022, to receive an update on the migration of the Fraser Sockeye run to date and review the status of migration conditions in the Fraser River watershed. The marine test fishing catches in Johnstone Strait continue to be variable but overall have been low, with the highest catches being observed in the Area 13 purse seine.

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=262951&ID=all&fbclid=IwAR1sVort2FRW7kcLrrUr39jE3Wpse1iRONzIQSgpo4ou2hvTbBkLA2wWHpg

Although information is very preliminary, to date the Early Summer Run Sockeye appears to be either late or tracking between the pre-season p25 and p50 forecast levels.   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:38:15 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 06:54:22 PM »

There is a good report on Sockeye every Friday at the PSC: https://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/fraser-river-panel-weekly-reports/
The one tomorrow should tell the current story - I tend to pay attention to PSC over DFO.

Port Hardy is "Round Island (area 12)"
Just north of Campbell River is "Area 13 seine"

All the numbers in this area (Johnstone Strait) will be lower since the diversion rate is 19% to the inside (See the July 29 report above).
The "San Juan" numbers show the real counts on the fish - area 20 being the main one.

From that report: Catches substantially picked up in Area 20 in the last two days, remained
relatively low in Area 12 and were variable but showed signs of increasing in Area 13.

Interesting quote from your first link: Gill net test fishing catches in the Fraser River have been moderate to high over the last few days, with the highest catches being observed at Brownsville Bar and Qualark.

Early summers are not the target run.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 06:56:32 PM by Easywater »

mikeyman

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 08:57:57 PM »

Only a matter of time before you can buy your sockeye on the side of the road. Along with Chinook that are closed until Sept 1 at the fraser mouth. Same old crap every year. We might get an opening when the run has already passed and been netted up and sold. Shame.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2022, 07:32:31 AM »

There is a good report on Sockeye every Friday at the PSC: https://www.psc.org/publications/fraser-panel-in-season-information/fraser-river-panel-weekly-reports/
The one tomorrow should tell the current story - I tend to pay attention to PSC over DFO.

Port Hardy is "Round Island (area 12)"
Just north of Campbell River is "Area 13 seine"

All the numbers in this area (Johnstone Strait) will be lower since the diversion rate is 19% to the inside (See the July 29 report above).
The "San Juan" numbers show the real counts on the fish - area 20 being the main one.

From that report: Catches substantially picked up in Area 20 in the last two days, remained
relatively low in Area 12 and were variable but showed signs of increasing in Area 13.

Interesting quote from your first link: Gill net test fishing catches in the Fraser River have been moderate to high over the last few days, with the highest catches being observed at Brownsville Bar and Qualark.

Early summers are not the target run.

The numbers are all the same as are the comments. By treaty, interpretation of the results is done by the PSC panel which includes both FOC personnel, US personnel and other non government people. The report you quoted was a few days older. The comment was based on test results in the marine approaches and not in river and it related to the number of summer fish in the marine approaches plus that few early summer fish were still in the approaches. Overall more than 50% of fish taken at the test sites are summer fish

You should re-read the last of the two quotes.

As I recall this happens almost every summer when people who track the test results focus on the catch at one test site. The panel has over the years become far more conservative since in the past they allowed over harvest for much the same reasons; over anticipating returns based on good early or isolated results only to have later returns flop and come in below the 50% mark.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2022, 11:47:21 AM »

Things are tracking below the p50 level its still early but its looking like it probably below p50. Though its possible to have a big push of fish tho we haven't seen that many times exect this year with the skeena and stamp.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.psc.org%2Fwp-admin%2Fadmin-ajax.php%3Fjuwpfisadmin%3Dfalse%26action%3Dwpfd%26task%3Dfile.download%26wpfd_category_id%3D656%26wpfd_file_id%3D14698%26token%3D%26preview%3D1&embedded=true

My understanding is they will open in river between 15-24 somewhere in there.

Mission escapements gotta increase tho have to start seeing 100k plus days.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 12:06:55 PM by wildmanyeah »

cdjk123

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2022, 05:59:05 PM »

Has anyone noted that the shore fishing spots are going to be extremely limited to non-existant this year because of the height of the Fraser?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2022, 01:26:03 PM »

Before we start worrying about shore fishing spot access lol... Let's worry about how the rest of the stocks which everyone hopes to target are doing so far.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2022, 01:35:46 PM »

Before we start worrying about shore fishing spot access lol... Let's worry about how the rest of the stocks which everyone hopes to target are doing so far.

:-X :(
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

roeman

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2022, 02:26:48 PM »

Bouncing betties and sockeye corkies for sale.
50 bucks for a bag of 10 betties and 10 corkies.
Guaranteed success. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 10:01:35 PM by roeman »
Are you fishin or catchin