Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Frustrated B.C. chiefs unload on cabinet ministers over fate of salmon  (Read 1789 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

Frustrated B.C. chiefs unload on cabinet ministers over fate of salmon

Chief Arnie Lampreau of the Shackan First Nation talked about spending money for the first time last year — $750,000 — to buy fish for eight Shackan communities, when he could recall being able to fish for ample salmon at their doorsteps decades ago.

Lampreau said he could recall having the same conversations about the need to protect wild salmon when he sat on fisheries committees in the early 2000s, and “the only thing that has changed is that we have less fish in our rivers.”

“I see that we need to take these guys to court,” Lampreau said. “Let’s not sit around waiting here before it’s too late. If I’ve got to pay $750,000 a year to buy fish for my people, I’m going to spend that much money in court when our families can no longer go down to the river and fish freely to exercise their rights.”

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/frustrated-bc-chiefs-unload-cabinet-ministers-over-fate-of-salmon

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....