Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Canal Red Springs  (Read 16235 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Vedder Canal Red Springs
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2022, 10:23:06 AM »

I’m not about the woke sentiment and standing on any side as i said I am First Nations, but actually solving a problem not complicating with more restricted access to a fishing community is a better solution.

What do you think I've been doing these past two years at the meetings lol...

I miswrote in the last post. I meant that you were saying no matter what I present, it's not going to change your views on this initiative, so I am not that motivated to keep repeating what I've written when most of the questions you asked in the last post have already been answered.

Federal salmon hatcheries are not funded by recreational fishermen btw, we do not have sole ownership of this resource. Here's how DFO defines our hatchery program:

"Salmon hatcheries play a key role in our efforts to conserve vulnerable salmon stocks; provide recreational, commercial and Indigenous fishing opportunities; and support stock assessment."

I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but majority of the responses I've received are very supportive so far. Not "let's give the Sumas more fish!", but "great to see alternative approaches are being attempted."

I go into this not because I feel sorry for the Sumas, but because I was concerned that my fishing experiences would be affected. Those concerns will always be there, but I am a lot more confident on the success of this now than two years ago.

Have I not presented the hatchery return numbers from the past five years? There are more than enough fish for the Sumas to catch without impeding anglers' experiences.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2022, 11:02:48 AM »

Thanks for all your hard work Rodney  … I really appreciate what you have done for the fishing  community and the access and polarization of alternative fisheries to help bring kids into the sport through your videos .

Despite what my views on this topic are I know they’re are lots of people like yourself advocating for anglers and First Nations alike.  I just don’t understand why we can’t get more funding for these programs . If more parties are to participate more effort needs to be put out . Does the sumas band have no netting opening for springs on the fraser at all or has there been openings this season? So there is literally no other avenue other than hatchery programs ?I’m actually ignorant to this as information regarding fisheries and openings is hard to find without deep research and direct involvement in these meetings .

I can’t really comment on definitions of hatcheries and interests as I can only comment on the experience of spending my whole life in the lower mainland and watching the salmon slowly become extinct .

What number of fish do you think is fair for sumas band ? Percentage or number ? 150-200? 2000?
Another question I have is how many fish are being turned into animal food and or for human consumption through the soowalie(sorry don’t know the spelling.) reserve program? . An actual number might give a better idea of how many are not being harvested or utilized for brood once the rec sector is done angling . 

Also the news video portrays the vedder red salmon return of more than 10000 annually.is that an accurate estimate ? I would have thought the return to be more likely 2500-3500 on a poor year  to 7-12000 on a really good year with the median return number being 3-6k
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 11:25:35 AM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

Chum Slayer

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2022, 11:37:43 AM »

McKay creek needs hatchery chum and coho to restore it a lot of the streams around Abbotsford used to have good coho and chum returns now a days you're lucky to see a spawning pair. On the trout side of things, a lot of these creeks are ok however there is room for improvement.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2022, 11:46:32 AM »

Agreed… huge room for improvement .  McKay creek had a decent return of chum a few seasons back the creek was quite full . and the cutthroat spawn varies year to year . Mink and otter have been a problem around the creek the last few seasons a Iv noticed a big presence and lots of fish dying pre spawn .  Be good to see some trapping around the creeks and less dogs swimming and jumpin and digging in and around spawning grounds certain times of the year . Just ignorance on the owners part though .  One of the only access points along that dyke to play fetch and let them swim  . Maybe a sign to inform people might help .
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 11:49:36 AM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2022, 11:49:19 AM »

Thanks for all your hard work Rodney  … I really appreciate what you have done for the fishing  community and the access and polarization of alternative fisheries to help bring kids into the sport through your videos .

Despite what my views on this topic are I know they’re are lots of people like yourself advocating for anglers and First Nations alike.  I just don’t understand why we can’t get more funding for these programs . If more parties are to participate more effort needs to be put out .

I can’t really comment on definitions of hatcheries and interests as I can only comment on the experience of spending my whole life in the lower mainland and watching the salmon slowly become extinct .

What number of fish do you think is fair for sumas band ? Percentage or number ? 150-200? 2000?
Another question I have is how many fish are being turned into animal food and or for human consumption through the soowalie(sorry don’t know the spelling.) reserve program? . An actual number might give a better idea of how many are not being harvested or utilized for brood once the rec sector is done angling . 

Also the news video portrays the vedder red salmon return of more than 10000 annually.is that an accurate estimate ? I would have thought the return to be more likely 2500-3500 on a poor year  to 7-12000 on a really good year with the median return number being 3-6k

Thanks. So the reason I get involved has a lot to do with just my interest on fishery management (that's my academic background) and I like how I am able to do my own work (website, videos), while almost treating this as a pastime. I see a problem and I can't leave it alone lol. I do wish more young people in the sport fishing sector would get involved. This is what I have observed in the past two decades... When I first started getting involved, I was in my mid 20s and the youngest one among those who are involved. In the last twenty years, I've only seen a few new young additions to the group. Today, I am pretty much still the youngest one! Some of the guys who are still involved are now in their 70s or even 80s! Meanwhile, I've seen a clear shift within the representations in the First Nation bands. Twenty years ago, the elders who were involved were not very receptive to new ideas. Today, taking Sumas for example, I am seeing a team of young individuals who are thinking progressively, and coming to the meeting with new ideas. It's refreshing, and people need to get behind it to make this work finally.

Anyway, going back to some of your questions. I'm not really sure if I could be the judge on how many fish is "fair" for Sumas. When this first started, the proposed quotas were quite high, and I was kind of shocked. They've been reduced since then and I personally am pretty happy with it. I have to dig these numbers up again later so will just provide a rough picture for now.

For the summer red chinook fishery, the proposed harvest is in the hundreds, not thousands. The total number of fish arriving at the hatchery each year is a lot smaller than you thought. In a low year, it's in the hundreds. In a good year, it's in the thousands, never over 5,000.

The hatchery release target of summer chinook is 500,000 juveniles. In 2015, the number of fish returned to the hatchery was around 500. 2016 was a low year, around 300. 2017 and 2018 both had around 800 to 900 fish. 2019, 1,500 fish. The returns in the last two summers were around 2,500 fish. This year should be the same as the last two, or maybe more. That increase in the past three years is most likely due to the drop in harvest in the ocean due to closures. Conservation concern isn't really an issue here. The hatchery only needs a few hundred fish to meet the brood target. So far the harvest by Sumas in the past two years has been way below 100 each year. This year will most likely be even lower unless catch results improve this week. The proportion of harvest between the two groups is pretty one sided and doesn't look so good on paper (rec group is open daily and has access from Vedder mouth to upper boundary, while Sumas is open from Thursday to Sunday, from Vedder mouth to KWB).

The fall returns are much bigger obviously due to the much larger production. Right now, we produce 2 million fall chinook juveniles each year, and around 800,000 to 900,000 juvenile coho each year. Last year, 12,000 adult white chinook salmon returned to the hatchery (a lot of these were jacks). This year, we will see an even bigger return because these are offsprings off the first year when they doubled the production from 1 million to 2 million. 32,000 coho salmon returned to the hatchery last year, which is also a huge number considering the hatchery only needs a small % of those for broods. The remaining fish become part of the ESSR (excessive salmon to spawning requirement) program which involves Soowahlie contracting a fish buyer to take the fish. The fish are sorted and sold, could end up at your local Superstore, or as animal feed, depending on the grade of the fish. The number of fish for this program is in the 10,000s. This is why I always tell others that it is ok to keep your hatchery coho salmon and white chinook salmon, don't waste them, enjoy eating them. If they are not retained, they'll just end up being sold.

The number of hatchery coho salmon being proposed for harvest by Sumas originally was in the thousands. This would not have made a difference on the stock based on the numbers I presented you above, but if that many coho are taken out beween September 20th and October 20th below Hwy 1, I'm sure you'd see a change in rec fishing experiences. Right before the season started last year, that number was reduced to a few hundred. A total of one coho salmon was caught last fall by Sumas.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2022, 11:59:43 AM »

Sorry I meant total run return or 2500-12000 ish not what came back to the hatchery  after all is said and done .I would agree that return is in the hundreds not thousands up top to the hatchery annually . I’m not surprised innthe last 3 seasons including this one as the returns have been abnormally high.Kind of helps paint a picture for upping the program for summer fisheries to create more opportunities if the mean hatchery return is less than 1000..I wonder what the annual take home is on the  vedder for recreation anglers . I would estimate maybe 500-1000 max . I guess the run is smaller than I thought . With the estimates of sumas bands 1 -2 percent of the total harvest(on a good year  last year being 50 ish ) with normal flows . I would bet 500 to be fairly accurate number for rec anglers and 50 salmon to be closer to 10 percent of the harvest   .
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 12:10:52 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2022, 12:11:49 PM »

What is the actual proposed number ?. A few hundred doesn’t really answer it exactly .

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2022, 12:13:35 PM »

Yeah total number arriving at the river prior to any harvest would paint a better picture, and the only way to achieve that is to establish an actual counting/reporting system in the recreational sector. 500 to 1,000 being retained would be my guess too but in reality we don't really know, and we really should if we want to be taken more seriously when talking to other sectors about allocations and impacts. And that's kind of the reason of Sumas spending all the money on this. The band is frustrated that there isn't that accountability in the rec sector and DFO doesn't do any creel survey in this summer fishery. I'd be annoyed too if FSC harvest is not available for me while the fishery is open to the public without knowing just how many fish get harvested etc.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2022, 12:20:00 PM »

What is the actual proposed number ?. A few hundred doesn’t really answer it exactly .

Here are the proposed target at the start of 2021. They have changed since then but I'll have to find the info later.

7.1 Interim Goal Chinook (Ages 3/4/5): 1000, Estimated for gear-effort: 50-250.
7.2 Interim Goal Coho (Aggregate): 7500, Estimated for gear-effort: 150-750.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2022, 12:25:47 PM »

Here are the proposed target at the start of 2021. They have changed since then but I'll have to find the info later.

7.1 Interim Goal Chinook (Ages 3/4/5): 1000, Estimated for gear-effort: 50-250.
7.2 Interim Goal Coho (Aggregate): 7500, Estimated for gear-effort: 150-750.

What is gear effort is that rec anglers or fn angling ?
I would assume the lowered number is somehwere around 500 now representing 25-50 percent of the take home and 1/4 to 1/3 the average return respectively .

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2022, 12:34:06 PM »

Those numbers in the end of each sentence are not referring to rec. They're predicted/estimated harvest by Sumas.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2022, 01:35:02 PM »

Those numbers in the end of each sentence are not referring to rec. They're predicted/estimated harvest by Sumas.
Ah makes sense . What is the sumas bands accountability issue with the recreational sector seeing as its new to this fishery ?  . Is it an access problem? … This has been a sustainable fishery thus far and I’m curious the expectation for the sumas band for the rest of  us if we are to share? Keep in mind we as anglers are all inclusive . Lots of fn take part in this harvest in the past with rod and reel including soowahlie.

I have seen this run move through in 1-2 weeks and be very slow fishing in the last week of July on the mid and lower ,to the last few seasons with the better than average returns more fish lingering in the lower sections being more accessible to rec anglers. Fish trickling through the system into Aug . How can the run timings be predicted so that a sustainable harvest can be achieved with such varied returns and water heights ?  Certainly they were trapped in the lower last season not the rec anglers fault by any means  . 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 01:43:39 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

VictorBai

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2022, 08:22:10 AM »

I'm very excited for my trip to the river tomorrow. Will update with my results. 8)

How did your trip go Darko? I've been waiting for your results. :D

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2022, 10:26:16 PM »

How did your trip go Darko? I've been waiting for your results. :D

unsuccessful Victor, it was my first time there since the floods and when I went to some of my old spots they were completely different or unfishable. I thought people were being overdramatic when they were saying its like a new river but now I believe. I didn't actually even see any fish tbh besides some small trout and fry.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2022, 07:47:49 AM »

unsuccessful Victor, it was my first time there since the floods and when I went to some of my old spots they were completely different or unfishable. I thought people were being overdramatic when they were saying its like a new river but now I believe. I didn't actually even see any fish tbh besides some small trout and fry.

...and perhaps that plus the high water year and a smaller return of fish may explain the lack of success some anglers have experienced so far?

All those anglers and not one of them steps in to help that man. WTH ?

that was about as shocking as the attack itself.

BTW there were some reports an angler had tossed a rock at the boat and that provoked the incident.

Anyone else notice the boat had no visible registration numbers?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 07:51:34 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.