Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder Canal Red Springs  (Read 15952 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Vedder Canal Red Springs
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2022, 07:05:36 AM »

there are nets in the Fraser. Both FN nets and test fisheries. The Albion test has been operating for a month or more and the Whonnock and Cottonwood test fisheries have been in operation for weeks.

Virtually all the harvest that occurs in the Sumas- Chilliwack system is by recreation anglers. The FN take is a tiny % of the total.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2022, 08:08:53 AM »

there are nets in the Fraser. Both FN nets and test fisheries. The Albion test has been operating for a month or more and the Whonnock and Cottonwood test fisheries have been in operation for weeks.

Virtually all the harvest that occurs in the Sumas- Chilliwack system is by recreation anglers. The FN take is a tiny % of the total.

Sorry if asked before; but do the nets negatively impact the fishing for reds on the vedder.  I was thinking about driving up on the weekend. It's a long drive for low percentage chances lol

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2022, 08:50:40 AM »

So which fishery is harder right now? Vedder Summer Reds or Capilano Coho?

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2022, 09:47:54 AM »

With Netting effect on vedder It all depends  …. Many of the anglers catching the most are seasoned fishers that have been doing it for a really long time . I helped a younger angler this season that has been trying to catch a red spring salmon for 2 years and no luck . I was able to help him get his first which was fun to watch . He was not a bad fisher by any means .  And on years where the fraser netting is very prolific ya it hurts the vedder returns. I was told there has been lots of spring and early summer opportunities on fraser this season  but the high water has made it more difficult which of coarse helps us in the vedder with our returns  .

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2022, 10:04:36 AM »

I’m just standing with my angling community .

I'm standing with the fish for both communities which should be spending more time working together than speculating what each is doing. What you've said, I can almost repeat word by word with a few changes to recite what they have said in the last few years.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2022, 10:07:11 AM »

I'm standing with the fish for both communities which should be spending more time working together than speculating what each is doing. What you've said, I can almost repeat word by word with a few changes to recite what they have said in the last few years.

Absolutely! Well said Rod!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2022, 10:08:50 AM »

Sorry if asked before; but do the nets negatively impact the fishing for reds on the vedder.  I was thinking about driving up on the weekend. It's a long drive for low percentage chances lol

I had the same question :D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2022, 11:08:38 AM »

ask someone else as I don't have a specific answer regarding nets.

Number of other anglers i have some ideas but not the nets. I don't believe anyone does since there is what, including this one,  2 or 3 seasons of experience? IMO a reasonable person would think there is no way a responsible answer could be provided...but reasonable persons have been in short supply for more than a few years, so you might have to wait a while before one has the guts to hazard a guess.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2022, 11:50:10 AM »

Thank you for standing with my community Rodney. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2022, 07:48:24 PM »

Today, I was invited to attend the opening ceremony for Sumas First Nation's 2022 Conservation, Guardianship and Harvest Plan. This is a five year long project which includes experimenting different harvesting methods for the summer and fall salmon stocks in the Chilliwack River, and stock assessment by various innovative techniques.
If you have been fishing the Chilliwack River lately, you might have noticed the tent station set up by the Vedder Crossing Bridge. This is the sonar operation site, monitored by the Sumas First Nation to determine how many fish are passing through that section of the river. The technology provides realtime images, allowing monitors to manually count the number of fish swimming by.

Other organizations which attended today include City of Chilliwack, City of Mission, City of Abbotsford, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, BC Wildlife Federation, British Columbia Federation Of Drift Fishers. Rod Clapton from BCFDF said to me afterward that it was very gratifying to hear Sumas First Nation acknowledging the support & interest from the recreational fishing sector in their initiatives & cooperation of anglers. I agree. This type of collaboration will be the solution to the many fishery challenges we are dealing with at the moment.

GENERAL-SHERMAN said that no matter how much information I provide, it will not change his views (on the indigenous fisheries). I think that's unfortunate. I go into this with an open mind so I can both learn what I do not understand and provide what others may not already know. This does not mean I will always agree with whatever is being presented, it just means I want to take the time to confront these difficult conversations, to not only secure the future of salmon for recreational fishermen, but for all communities.

I'll share some thoughts on the logistical aspects of this project soon. Have a great weekend.

danielk

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2022, 08:57:53 AM »

Well said Rod :).      It would be cool to see some of the sonar pictures!!!  Do you know how many fish they have counted so far this year ?

Paulo

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2022, 10:38:08 AM »

Well done indeed Rodney..

Hey, they're in my spot  >:( ;D

ern

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2022, 10:04:03 PM »

Here's a spot that aired on Global today - sonar imagery looks good!
https://globalnews.ca/video/9010675/sumas-first-nation-uses-sonar-to-monitor-salmon-stocks

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2022, 11:17:08 PM »

I'm very excited for my trip to the river tomorrow. Will update with my results. 8)
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2022, 09:23:53 AM »

GENERAL-SHERMAN said that no matter how much information I provide, it will not change his views (on the indigenous fisheries). I think that's unfortunate[/quote]. I go into this with an open mind so I can both learn what I do not understand and provide what others may not already know. This does not mean I will always agree with whatever is being presented, it just means I want to take the time to confront these difficult conversations, to not only secure the future of salmon for recreational fishermen, but for all communities.

I’m sorry if you misread my post Rodney but as I stated I disagree with this particular fishery as it stands, not First Nations right to salmon and ceremonial traditions  as a whole (fisheries implies First Nations across the boards ie. Fraser and tributaries and wild runs throughout  the fraser watershed ) which is not what I said  . As I stated before I am First Nations . And while salmon and hunting is a large part of our heritage this fishery is a hatchery based operation of which is being funded solely by the recreational sector . I would love it if further funding would be approved by government  to bolster the hatchery as stated before which would create opportunists for the sumas band . As I said you will not be able to sway my beliefs with what you have provided thus far. I may of miss spoke if I implied ever and I apologize for that . How much has vedder summer salmon affected your family Rodney ? I know my family relies on it . Something I have been a part of for the better part of 25 years .  This is a one off high water season and the poor netting results are a clear distinction of that . Is there a number of fish that can be established for retention so we can assure that everybody can share in the harvest ? Obviously 50 fish as stated by a select few is too little . So please answer this question, what is the appropriate amount that the sumas band should be harvesting ?please give an accurate number or percentage so the angling community can know what to expect . This isn’t an open ticket . Could excess numbers of  red spring smolts or fry be released into say  McKay creek. It is already spawning grounds for( chum and cutthroat trout  ) it’s upstream of barrowtown sumas dam which would allow First Nations to net upstream away from anglers and sturgeon spawning . Most of the spawning sturgeon is from the mouth of the vedder to the yellow gate approximately half way between mcdonald park upstream of barrow town. I really don’t know if this is viable as I’m not a biologist. There has to be better solution for everybody to prevent further conflict and improve access for sumas band  .I know I am not alone as 90 percent of the fishing community shares my views . I’m not about the woke sentiment and standing on any side as i said I am First Nations, but actually solving a problem not complicating with more restricted access to a fishing community is a better solution. This has been the  better part of a decade abiding by rules and regulations and closures watching fishing fade away without any hope in sight. And as the loss of the fraser river has had a huge affect on us aboriginal peoples it is not unfelt by the rec sector as well as you know .
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 10:07:16 AM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »