Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC trades away outdoor recreation rights to continue industrial encroachment  (Read 4168 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

Dear Premier,

I am exceedingly disappointed that you have chosen to simply ignore my repeated requests for clarification in this matter.
I was under the impression that you and your Government works for us, and are therefore accountable to us to some degree.
I can now clearly ascertain that is not the way you understand it to be.

This is a very serious matter, especially so given the stated concerns of the involved First Nation, outdoor enthusiasts and many more.
It very much appears to be trading away the opportunities of the majority of those groups in order to proceed with further environmental damaging industrial developments. It also very much appears you and your Government did so unilaterally without the explicit consent of the involved First Nation, in direct contrast to what You yourself have stated you will be adhering to now and into the future.

I am now aware of several organizations that are investigating the potential of litigation should this proposal be implemented.
Due to the refusal of yourself and many of your Ministers to provide clarification / justification on the matter, I will be supporting those initiatives as strongly as I possibly can should this proposal be implemented.

Sincerely,

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Joint Statement from Chief Judy Desjarlais and Ministers Conroy & Rankin:

https://blueberryfn.com/statement-from-chief-judy-desjarlais/

Some may infer FN support for this initiative, however I am quite doubtful of that. Not what the Chief said at all: "Blueberry River First Nations has not come to an agreement with the Province on any wildlife measures, including any changes to wildlife regulations".

She does go on to note that: "We believe moose have been affected by over-development and that some temporary measures are required in some areas. As long as wildlife management and habitat restoration are managed sustainably, there can be a healthy hunting industry in future for everyone in northeast BC"

My interpretation would be that the BC Government took what they were alluding to, and ran willy nilly with it, imposing the restrictions over a MUCH LARGER area than that influenced by the FN in question. That they did so unilaterally. That they did so in the face of stable or increasing moose & caribou populations. And that they did so in order to continue with actually increasing the exact same type of environmental degradation / destruction that drove the court case in the first place.

Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

More "Confidential Discussions" ramping up:

West Moberly First Nations, BC Hydro enter “confidential discussions” on Treaty 8 violation claims over Site C

MOBERLY LAKE, B.C. – A trial that was supposed to begin in March between West Moberly First Nations and BC Hydro over claims that Site C violated Treaty 8 rights has moved to closed door meetings.

West Moberly’s lawsuit filed in 2018 against BC Hydro and the provincial and federal governments was expected to lead to a 120-day trial this year, however, the infringement claim was adjourned.

The update comes from BC Hydro’s annual progress report, stating the “parties to the litigation are continuing confidential discussions to seek to settle this litigation.”

https://energeticcity.ca/2022/03/31/west-moberly-first-nations-bc-hydro-enter-confidential-discussions-on-treaty-8-violation-claims-over-site-c/

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Hunters rally behind BC Liberals on proposed moose hunt changes

“I’ve been hunting that area for decades. The moose population is doing fine. The caribou population is doing fine,” said Port Alberni’s Matt Stabler on the first video call of the night. “This is simply a trade-off of our hunting privileges so that development can continue and environmental degradation and destruction will be accelerated.”

“That was the main thrust of that court case. Period. There’s no other way to read it,” added Stabler. “This is a direct trade-off of our privileges.”

https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/fort-st-john/hunters-rally-behind-bc-liberals-on-proposed-moose-hunt-changes-5217035

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Of the dozens of letters & Emails I sent out in this regard, the only one that responded was Heyman:

My response:

You are the Minister of ENVIRONMENT!!

The BC Supreme Court Case which initiated these draconian actions by your party was focused entirely upon Environmental concerns.
Period.

Your attempt to "pass the buck" in this instance is beyond infuriating.

I demand an answer as to your involvement with these matters, and further that you take immediate steps to rectify the stripping away of hunting privileges in order to continue with increased environmental degradation / destruction.

In other words: DO YOUR JOB!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Long since past the date when the new Regs should have been out.

Questions going unanswered.

A bit of a hint was just posted on the BC Hunting FB site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/therealbchuntingandfishing/

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

This just in:

May 12, 2022

Sean Olmstead, President
Scott Ellis, Executive Director and CEO
Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia
103-19140 28th Avenue
Surrey, British Columbia V3Z 6M3

Dear Sean Olmstead and Scott Ellis:

Thank you for your letters of March 11, 2022, and March 28, 2022, regarding the Peace Region hunting regulation change proposals that had been open for public engagement. The Province of British Columbia appreciates the efforts made by guide outfitters in advancing reconciliation with Indigenous Nations, and the contributions made by guide outfitting in generating economic activity for our rural and remote areas.

The engagement process has now concluded, and we are preparing for a decision which will be finalized shortly. I am aware of the operational challenges your members are facing in the interim. Please appreciate that this complex work is part of meaningful reconciliation with Treaty 8 First Nations and we are ensuring they have input into wildlife management decisions on their traditional territory.

The hunting regulation changes are an interim measure and part of a broader package of actions to improve wildlife stewardship, uphold Treaty rights, and enhance habitat conservation. Over the next two years, the Province and the Treaty 8 First Nations will work together to develop an approach to wildlife co-management that improves our shared understanding and management of the wildlife resources in a manner consistent with the Together for Wildlife Strategy.

Thank you for your continued engagement with David Skerik, Director, Strategic Initiatives, on this file; we are grateful for your input. If you have further information to share, please email David.Skerik@gov.bc.ca.

Again, thank you for writing to share your concerns.

Sincerely,
Katrine Conroy Minister
Ministry of Forests Office of the Minister Mailing Address:
PO Box 9049 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC V8W 9E2
Tel: 250 387-6240
Fax: 250 387-1040

pc: Honourable John Horgan, Province of British Columbia
Mike Hykaway, A/Assistant Deputy Minister, North Area, Ministry of Forests
David Skerik, Director, Strategic Initiatives, Northeast Region, Ministry of Forests

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21/281187782_380526757351337_4087182055865043035_n.pdf/269888-response.pdf?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-6&_nc_sid=0cab14&_nc_ohc=bavWElihho0AX_gqqSs&_nc_ht=cdn.fbsbx.com&oh=03_AVJNfCNcj0TPe5GZM109usFVbZ6r2UGke_rCDMNmLmPdbg&oe=62853EFE&dl=1&fbclid=IwAR3a4THM3cW_bJGPKty9P5jeagII9CrNLtL9QZ3HPDN01ORRsx3EyTb66is

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Hunting closures, regulation changes announced in Northeast B.C.

https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/fort-st-john/hunting-closures-regulation-changes-announced-in-northeast-bc-5389458

Lawyer says Lock & Load...

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Politics not science driving moose hunt changes

B.C.’s hunting and wildlife community says politics, not science, is driving the province’s changes to caribou and moose hunting regulations in the Peace Region.

The government announced last week it was scrapping open season on moose hunting in the Peace – traditionally from Aug. 15 to Oct. 31 – and implementing limited entry hunting rules that would include full closures in August and early October. Caribou hunts in the region were closed entirely.

But wildlife stewardship and habitat conservation aren’t the government’s primary consideration, said Jesse Zeman, executive director of the BC Wildlife Federation.

https://northernbeat.ca/opinion/politics-not-science-driving-moose-hunt-changes-say-critics/