Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BC trades away outdoor recreation rights to continue industrial encroachment  (Read 4167 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

Please watch this important message from Jesse Zeman on a development that affects all resident hunters in British Columbia. Our press release follows, and there is information below that on how you can take action

https://bcwf.bc.ca/peace-region-hunting-regulations/

As a result of the Blueberry Band court ruling last year which stated the BC government infringed on their rights, the same government just made a back door deal with the band which allows them to continue with the resource extraction in the band's territory - in exchange for limiting hunters/anglers/campers/hikers (and more) access to the areas in question.

This is wildlife management by social pressure not science. The NDP has once again sold out the general public for their own gain.

This is a massive blow that completely undermines the entire science-based wildlife management model.

However, a response campaign has been organized, letters are flowing, and meetings being set up with MLA's around the Province to express our concerns. I am hopeful this will get their attention. If this is a cause of concern for every one of you reading this, I strongly suggest at least a letter to your own MLA. A template letter is presented on the BCWF link above.

I am also hopeful that should they try and proceed that we have legal grounds to pursue the matter further (being investigated now).

Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

My presentation to the Alberni Fish & Game Club went very well. Better than I had hoped for.
I will be sending along more information to them shortly, and helping design a template letter.
They are taking this matter to the Region One BCWF meeting soon as an urgent matter of discussion and action.

I would like to suggest that any who can attend the local Fish & Game Club meetings in your Community, and enlighten them on developments in this regard. If you need, I can and will provide a copy of what I presented last night.

Given the political atmosphere that is predominant in this community, it was a pleasant surprise.

I very much hope others will follow suit and inform their local clubs of what is occurring here...

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Their form of "consultation" is now up and running.

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/content/close-peace-caribou-hunts-and-reduce-peace-moose-hunts-region-wide

This is nothing but the government using us as pawns and selling us out in order to continue, and actually escalate the industrial environmental damage being done in this area. Note there is zero mention of the increase in industrial permits these actions have and will allow going down the road, simply a focus on us - the low hanging fruit as it were. Also note than when the Province walked away with the related tentative agreement in hand, they immediately granted 193 more Industrial Permits within the area in question.

Hunting was not even mentioned in the court's proceedings and findings whatsoever.

Not acceptable.

Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

A draft template letter to note your concerns:

Date

To (select your MLA here https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/members ),

I am writing to express my extreme concerns regarding your Government’s response to losing the Yahey vs BC (Blueberry River FN decision) wherein the Supreme Court of BC found that the Blueberry River First Nation’s treaty rights to hunt, trap and fish in their territory have been breached by allowing industrial development in Blueberry’s territory at an extensive scale.

Instead of focusing on wildlife management and habitat restoration in the region, and addressing the impacts of industrial activities while providing support for on-the-ground actions that benefit wildlife and habitat in Treaty 8 territory, your government decided to engage in secret backroom deals with the intent of punishing hunters & other recreational users of the area in question.

There is nothing in the court proceedings, findings and decision that specified that resident hunters are or were a problem whatsoever.

The proposed outcome of those secret dealings is to reduce moose hunting opportunities by fifty percent in Region 7b, make most of the area a Limited Entry Hunting Zone, and to completely eliminate all caribou hunting with the Region. Additionally they propose to increase the Guide Outfitter’s share of the remaining quota up to twenty-five percent from the stand nine percent in BC, representing a drastic increase in their allocation and further reducing resident hunting opportunities. This represents wildlife management by social decree, and about as far from scientific management as you can possibly get.

Note that the Peace region has the highest density moose populations in the province. The province’s own data indicates hunting is sustainable and that licensed hunter harvest is extremely low. Caribou populations in the area are also noted as “stable or expanding”. There is no conservation rationale for your government’s approach. It has now become obvious that your Government is willing to negotiate licensed BC hunters’ and recreationists’ opportunities away in favor of Site C, logging, and oil and gas.

This is a an extremely unsettling move by your government, using hunters as pawns and selling them out in order to continue, and actually escalate the very kind of industrial environmental degradation and damage that was the heart of the court case itself. The fact that your party is willing to sacrifice our access and ability to feed our families simply so business can proceed as “normal” is unacceptable. It has come to my attention that after the tentative agreement was in hand, the NDP Government immediately granted over one hundred and ninety industrial permits with the area in question. That I consider both disingenuous and intolerable.

Given your Government’s stated drive to harmonize hunting seasons and numbers in all of Northern BC, we are expecting this same type of secret dealings will occur in Region Six and elsewhere. In fact the Tahltan have already stated they will make sure of that. They also noted the desire of government to harmonize the seasons for moose and caribou in Northern BC, suggesting they will also soon seek a cessation of caribou hunting and a gross reduction of moose harvests by resident hunters.

The Yahey vs BC (Blueberry River FN decision) was about industrial activity, not hunting, and it is extremely inappropriate to punish hunters for the cumulative effects of industrial activity.

The type of division these types of deals create will not help with your stated goals regarding Reconciliation, but rather further fan the flames of distrust and anger between Indigenous and Non Indigenous groups.

Reducing or stopping hunting will not restore fish, wildlife and habitat resources. That takes money and political will, not regulation changes.

The historical BC wildlife / habitat funding graph line is flat as it moves right, and has been for too many years. When adjusted for inflation and growth it actually represents a significant decline in available resources dedicated to properly managing these resources. That level of funding is beyond inadequate, and very much represents the fact we are “managing to zero” in this province.

Finally I would like to note that Together for Wildlife and the Ministers Wildlife Advisory Council were  not consulted while the 7B caribou closure and moose reductions were being negotiated. Together for Wildlife and the Ministers Wildlife Advisory Council were  briefed on the proposal last week when it was publicly presented. The Minister and her staff failed to follow the procedures that the NDP  government itself has set out for wildlife decision making. Instead it strongly appears she simply acted unilaterally...

As a British Columbian, I am  deeply concerned that the province is negotiating away opportunities for sustainable hunting instead of   confronting the cumulative effects of unsustainable resource  extraction.

I am writing you today to  directly pose this question: Will you please confirm that you and your Government will act now to protect resident hunter access in Region Seven and beyond from this serious infringement? Further, I directly  request an answer to this pressing query.

I am looking forward to your timely response.

Yours sincerely,

CC:
Premier John Horgan
( premier@gov.bc.ca )
PO BOX 9041 STN PROV GOVT VICTORIA, BC V8W 9E1

Katrine Conroy Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
( FLNR.Minister@gov.bc.ca )
Room 248 Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC V8V 1X4

Mike Farnworth Ministry of Public Safety & Solicitor General
(PSSG.Minister@gov.bc.ca )
PO Box 9282 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria BC V8W 9J7

Murray Rankin Minister of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation
(IRR.Minister@gov.bc.ca)
Room 323 Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC V8V 1X4

Nathan  Cullen  MLA for Stikine  Minister of State for Lands and Natural   Resource Operations & Chair of the Environment and Land Use   Committee
nathan.cullen.MLA@leg.bc.ca
Room 027 Parliament Buildings                                           
Victoria, BC  V8V 1X4               
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:56:27 PM by IronNoggin »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

More interesting developments:

Together for Wildlife and the Ministers Wildlife Advisory Council were not consulted while the 7B caribou closure and moose reduction was being negotiated.

Together for Wildlife and the Ministers Wildlife Advisory Council were briefed on the proposal last week when it was publicly presented.

The Minister and her staff failed to follow the procedure that the NDP government itself has set out for wildlife decision making.

Instead she simply acted unilaterally...

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

A little incentive for the fence sitters was added today...

"as some incentive/reward for actually exercising our voices. I put together a giveaway from Kifaru, Mike Jones knife & tool, tyto, mtngear and a few other that are confirming what they are sending. It’s on our home page www.wildernesslocals.net

if you’ve already opposed this like everyone here so far. Go ahead and just click. You can still enter. Trying to create more buzz for those on the fence / a little lazy."

Hope more realize it is time to stand up for ourselves NOW!

Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Received a reply from Peter Milobar - MLA Kamloops - North Thompson - Finance Critic

Thank you for your email expressing your concerns regarding the hunting closures being proposed in Region 7b.
As Official Opposition we are also concerned with how things are happening and our MLA's from that area have taken the lead on this issue. They have recently sent a letter, which I have attached for your information. I will make sure to let them know that this issue is also impacting many people from my riding and that they fully understand this.

Thank you again for taking the time to email me.

LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
of BRITISH COLUMBIA
BC Liberal Official Opposition
Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC V8V 1X4
T: 250-356-6171
BY EMAIL

Honourable Katrine Conroy
Minister of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development
Parliament Buildings
Victoria, BC

March 4, 2022

Dear Minister:

British Columbians are concerned about declining ungulate populations. Decisions surrounding
wildlife management in the province of British Columbia must be science-based and not
political. The vast majority of hunters support science-based wildlife management and are
willing to see reductions in wildlife harvest levels to help ungulate populations recover as
needed.

Constituents concerned with the decision to significantly reduce moose hunting opportunities
in Region 7B in north-eastern British Columbia have written to the Official Opposition, asking
for clarity on the government’s decision-making process. You will find these letters enclosed.

When decisions are made behind closed doors, rumours thrive. When wild salmon returns are
down, all invested parties see restrictions on what can be harvested. This is done publicly and
transparently so that everyone can understand the steps that are being taken. In a similar
fashion, the management of ungulate harvest levels should see reductions across the board
when science demonstrates it is required. It is incumbent on the government to be transparent
with British Columbians and provide the rationale for its recent decision. The Official
Opposition calls on the government to:

• open, meaningful conversations about wildlife management to all concerned parties;

• assure British Columbians have fair and equal access to ungulates similarly as to how
wild salmon populations are managed;

• disclose the data surrounding ungulate populations in the area;

• provide a list of stakeholders the government consulted prior to making the decision;

and

• disclose any economic impact studies on the local area resulting from a reduction in
moose hunting.

The right to hunt and fish by Indigenous Peoples is enshrined in the Canadian constitution. It is
important to uphold these rights so that transparent, science-based decisions regarding
ungulate populations can be supported by all. Thousands of British Columbians rely on hunting
to feed their families and hunters are well-aware of the need for strong wildlife management
practices to ensure wildlife populations are healthy and sustainable for the future.

We look forward to your prompt response.

Sincerely,

John Rustad, MLA Nechako Lakes
Dan Davies, MLA Peace River North
Mike Bernier, MLA Peace River South

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

The Wild Sheep Society of BC Steps Up:

"The Wild Sheep Society of BC is disheartened to learn that wildlife is once again being used as a bargaining chip. It has come to our attention, along with many concerned stake and title holders across the province that the BC government is making secret deals, with the end goal of putting the entire Region of 7B Peace under moose limited entry, and a complete closure of caribou hunting.

These proposed decisions have been made in blatant contradiction to the Vision, Principles & Goals of Together for Wildlife, the Provincial Wildlife Management Strategy. It is unacceptable that in the adolescence of the Strategy’s implementation its Vision, Principles and Goals are being disregarded in decision making. Instead of upholding these, the proposed decisions are being made under social values, instead of science and evidence-based management and dealing with the cumulative effects of resource extraction.

The WSSBC maintains that it is our intent to recognize and support the rights and title of First Nations in the province and has and will continue to work alongside them on projects.  The province needs to put an immediate stop to using wildlife as a pawn in social management decisions that only fuel divisiveness. The division created when we only manage access to wildlife, rather than manage wildlife is unacceptable when the province is committed to implementing Together for Wildlife.

This agreement goes farther than hunting.  This affects everyone that uses the outdoors, including hikers, anglers, campers and all who love to embrace the beautiful backcountry. It is imperative to the sustainability of wildlife and habitat, and outdoor recreation that land use decisions, and their associated management plans do not occur in the shadows.

It is critical to sound, successful stewardship that the province supports organizations like ours in building bridges between Stakeholder, Non-Governmental Conservation Organizations and First Nations in pursuit of bettering shared values, rather than place us at ends with one another.

We encourage everyone that is concerned by this to engage their MLA and voice their thoughts in a rational and intelligent manner."

https://www.wildsheepsociety.com/actnow/

They have links to the engagement survey, and present another opportunity to send letters through them to the appropriate MLA & Ministers.

I suggest we all use their suggestions and send them a loud THANKS!

Nog
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:03:26 PM by IronNoggin »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Add to your cc / distribution lists:

Nathan  Cullen  MLA for Stikine  Minister of State for Lands and Natural   Resource Operations & Chair of the Environment and Land Use   Committee
nathan.cullen.MLA@leg.bc.ca
Room 027 Parliament Buildings                                           
Victoria, BC  V8V 1X4

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Note that the government survey states that comment will be shut down at midnight on the 23rd of March.
However, their own backgrounder and other related pages mark that as the 22nd.

Time to get on with submitting your comments folks.
And it would really be beneficial if we all fired off a letter or two as noted above...

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Both the Blueberry First Nation (all 197 of them) and the government did note what they were going to do with regards to their reaction over the court findings. Oddly enough the vast majority of that simply slid off the table:

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021IRR0063-001940

Three days remain to get your comments into the government survey:

https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/content/close-peace-caribou-hunts-and-reduce-peace-moose-hunts-region-wide

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

This will not only effect us, but those we take along from other parts of the Country...

Permit to Accompany Non-Resident or Non-Resident Aliens to Hunt Big Game

Due to proposed regulation changes in Peace, Skeena, and Omineca regions, Permit to Accompany applications for moose and caribou in these regions are not being reviewed. We recommend submitting applications for moose and caribou after June 1, 2022.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/hunting/permit-to-accompany

Note that Region Six has already been included...

TWO Days remain to get your comments in!!

PLEASE DO!!

Matt

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Seems we have been granted a day's grace!
The government site actually appears to still be open for comment!

Inside sources have noted "The government engagement page was bombarded with comments the last few days. Over 98% want the proposal gone."

So Folks, if you haven't already, please take advantage of the one day's grace...

Cheers & Thanks!
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

I would like to extend my personal THANKS to everyone that took a moment to try and defend our outdoors heritage by commenting on the government survey, sending emails through the various platforms that were offering such, and most especially to those who wrote actual letters and sent them in.

Some little time remains to do the latter, as well as hitting the sites offering their form emails.

Your help in this matter was and is Greatly Appreciated!

Let's now hope someone with at least a little common sense is listening on the receiving end...

Cheers,
Matt

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

Proposed changes to moose hunt not being welcomed

A wave of opposition over a proposal by the provincial government to cut the number of moose that can be harvested in Northeast B.C. is gaining steam.

“Honest to goodness, there has not been a bigger issue that has come across my desk. This is even bigger than Covid,” says North Peace MLA Dan Davies. “The number of calls we’ve received in this office. The emails. I think we’re well over a thousand emails alone,” and that’s from across the province, states Davies.

“This (government decision) is impacting families. Families are that are living off the land, teaching their children to live off the land and being environmental stewards.”

“People are definitely concerned with the lack of consultation. They feel like it’s just being thrown at them,” says Szoo, an avid hunter, who’s also sat in on several public advisory committee meetings. “Something that also has to be cleared up, this is something that is not being asked for by First Nations. This is purely government. There is no user group that has asked for this.”

“Let’s be frank, this is not about the science,” reiterates the area’s MLA. “I was just on a call with FLNRO (Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resources Operations) who said this is not about the science. It’s a social science decision, and we know that.

https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/fort-st-john/proposed-changes-to-moose-hunt-not-being-welcomed-5190390