Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

My spinning reel (Abu Garcia Revo X40)I use primarily for Coho and Pinks is approximately halfway down on the spool.  What would you do in my scenario?

Pull it all off, re-spool fresh 30-40lb braid
- 4 (21.1%)
Take the extra 30lb Spider Wire, double uni knot to existing and spool it on
- 8 (42.1%)
Pull it off, spool on some of the 65lb braid as a backing, spool the existing back on
- 1 (5.3%)
Same as option 3, but use 20lb mono for backing instead
- 2 (10.5%)
Something else (please elaborate)
- 4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Half full spool on spinning reel  (Read 3525 times)

chille51

Half full spool on spinning reel
« on: October 03, 2021, 09:50:44 AM »

Currently has braid on it, can't recall exact weight as had it spooled at the store at time of purchase a few years back but probably about 30lbs.  I'd like to fill it back up.  I have about 100 yards of Spider Wire 30lbs on a spool handy, as well as a bunch of PLine 65lb on a bulk spool I don't even remember why I have.

stsfisher

Re: Half full spool on spinning reel
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 05:25:26 PM »

Pull it off and start with fresh line appropriately sized to the type of fishing you will be doing. Anything over 15-20lb test is over kill in my opinion.

4x4

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 06:23:00 PM »

Pull it off and start with fresh line appropriately sized to the type of fishing you will be doing. Anything over 15-20lb test is over kill in my opinion.

X2.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 07:33:30 PM »

My strategy is to keep backing on my reel and then just add fresh braid whenever I need it.

On my salmon spinning reel (Shimano Sahara 2500) I have it about 2/3 full of backing. I tie onto that 75 yds of 15 lb Power Pro. I can get two reel refills out of a 150 yd spool (or 4 refills out of 300)

The backing stays on my reel year after year and I just add my working line to that.

chille51

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 08:29:53 PM »

Agree with that, but have always understood that you generally go a little heavier with braid, since it is so much thinner compared to mono.  30lb braid like I have on there being equivalent to roughly 8lb mono, in terms of diameter.  And that if you go too thin with braid it can start to be finicky to work with. That's always been my understanding anyway.

chille51

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 08:33:00 PM »

My strategy is to keep backing on my reel and then just add fresh braid whenever I need it.

On my salmon spinning reel (Shimano Sahara 2500) I have it about 2/3 full of backing. I tie onto that 75 yds of 15 lb Power Pro. I can get two reel refills out of a 150 yd spool (or 4 refills out of 300)

The backing stays on my reel year after year and I just add my working line to that.

Thanks. Backing with what - 10lb or so mono?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 09:21:59 PM »

what's the capacity of your reel? If you've got a reel that takes 150 to 200yards of 12 to 15lb mono then it will take whole whack of equivalent braid to fill it. If half of the line is gone that means you have much less than1/2 half the original capacity as more line is on the outer diameter of the spool due to the larger circumference. Better to use a backing that is at least the same breaking strain as the main line. 30lb dacron makes good backing and is relatively cheap compared to braid. Consider spooling the braid off onto another reel or empty line spool. Load on backing then add the braid back.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 10:43:10 PM »

Thanks. Backing with what - 10lb or so mono?

I currently use Dacron fly line backing just cuz I had a bunch and wanted to put it to use. But I have also used braided line. IMO It doesn’t really matter as it’s just filler for the lower half of your spool. Having said that I do like a brightly coloured backing (ie Dacron) as it easily shows through your wraps on the spool when you are getting low on your mainline.

Ralph has some good suggestions, or you can leave the 30 lb braid on as backing and just add a new mainline.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 09:00:30 AM »

Ralph has some good suggestions, or you can leave the 30 lb braid on as backing and just add a new mainline.

you could just take it back to a shop and ask them to full it back to the top with whatever #test braid you decide on.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 09:35:55 AM »

double uni or a better suited braided knot, on some 8 to 12 lb mono, overspool it slightly, get some wind knots, cut some back and fish the season happily. repeat next year. Ive tried braided in a similar situation but went too light and had issues as mentioned above. May try again for laughs on my back up reel this year idk

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 12:16:01 PM »

I run 30 lbs braid with a 3-4 foot bumper of 10 to 15 lbs mono depending on water clarity.  I personally would just add the spider-wire with a good double uni, until the spool was almost full.  Don't overfill, because if a loop drops off it can cause quite the tangle.

chille51

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 07:41:12 PM »

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions and votes.  Based on the poll doesn't sound like just double-uni knotting on and using the rest of the leftover spool of braid I already have is a horrible idea.  I'll probably go with that this time, and then next time spool it up from scratch with some backing as suggested.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 12:50:38 PM »

X3

tworivers

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2021, 05:34:17 PM »

X4

colin6101

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 07:56:27 PM »

I would opt for lighter line on a salmon spinning combo as well. I run 12lb braid with a 8lb flouro leader.