Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rivers that allow bait?  (Read 2454 times)

chille51

Rivers that allow bait?
« on: September 19, 2021, 10:13:50 AM »

So my understanding is that natural bait is banned in rivers in BC for the most part.  Maybe I am misinformed.  But it is allowed in some or certain sections of some.  How does one know which rivers this is the case?  For example, here on the Island I know where in the Stamp/Somass system it is allowed, but only because the regs specifically state what sections it ISN'T allowed.  Which is typical in my experience - the regs focus on what you can't do, not what you can. 

For example - reading the Region 2 regs (which isn't really where I fish but where most of you do)

Capilano - Says Bait Ban Aug 1 to Oct 31 - correct interpretation it is allowed outside those dates?
Squamish River - Bait Ban Apr 1 - Mar 31 - so just not allowed period then. 
Stave River - Says nothing about bait.  Does this imply it is allowed since it does not specifically say no like the Squamish, or that it is NOT allowed as part of a general province wide reg?

For the record, I play it safe and fish without bait unless I am 100% certain it is legal.  So most of the time, I am fishing without which is fine - but also don't want to miss out on opportunities to try a different tactic just because I don't get the regs.

Thanks in advance.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Rivers that allow bait?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 10:16:37 AM »

Cap - yes

Squamish - total bait ban

Stave - can use bait if it is not stated the regulations

chille51

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 10:27:18 AM »

Cap - yes

Squamish - total bait ban

Stave - can use bait if it is not stated the regulations

Thanks Fish Assassin!  So, does that imply that any river that doesn't specifically say Bait Ban (such as the Stave example above) it is legal?  If so, that's a lot more rivers than I previously assumed.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »

So my understanding is that natural bait is banned in rivers in BC for the most part.  Maybe I am misinformed.  But it is allowed in some or certain sections of some.  How does one know which rivers this is the case? 

For example, here on the Island I know where in the Stamp/Somass system it is allowed, but only because the regs specifically state what sections it ISN'T allowed.

Capilano - Says Bait Ban Aug 1 to Oct 31 - correct interpretation it is allowed outside those dates?
Squamish River - Bait Ban Apr 1 - Mar 31 - so just not allowed period then. 
Stave River - Says nothing about bait.  Does this imply it is allowed since it does not specifically say no like the Squamish, or that it is NOT allowed as part of a general province wide reg?

There is no province wide bait ban in streams, but there may be regional restrictions (ie region 1). The Stamp is listed because it's an exception to the regional regs. You can look in the region specific sections to see what regs applies to that region.

Region 2 does not have a general bait ban, but any exception will be listed in the regs.

chille51

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 10:53:04 AM »

There is no province wide bait ban in streams, but there may be regional restrictions (ie region 1). The Stamp is listed because it's an exception to the regional regs. You can look in the region specific sections to see what regs applies to that region.

Region 2 does not have a general bait ban, but any exception will be listed in the regs.

DanL - exactly the reminder I needed, thanks!  I had been looking all over at the provincial regulations level, turns out it was region specific all along.  I picked up salmon fishing in the rivers about 5 years ago on moving to the Island, and must have got the "bait is banned" thing in my head at that time, but forgotten it was region specific.  Mystery solved.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »

Glad you got it sorted out.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 10:51:15 AM »

Good question and good replies.

..... except for the Capilano River, where although a bait ban is in effect until October 31, 2021, it is often openly and brutally flaunted, apparently because it is a hatchery river  ::)   >:(

One thing to remember, when a bait ban is in force, such as on the Squamish, Mamquam and Cheakamus, this also includes artificial products that are purposefully scented, such as worms and soft beads (i.e. containing fish oil, shrimp, anise etc.).

chille51

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 01:57:00 PM »

Yep... well aware that scent is considered bait too, but worth mentioning in case anyone else reading this isn't.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 02:35:06 PM »

Thanks for clarifying this. I too always thought (except for salmon) bait was banned in region 2 rivers. Apparently not - unless stated otherwise. :)