Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Tidal Fraser River pink salmon fishery opening and updates  (Read 33288 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: 2021 Tidal Fraser River pink salmon fishery opening and updates
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2021, 05:50:54 PM »

I fished on Saturday for three hours. the guy to my left caught 12, the guy to my right caught 7. I got zero
The left guy used a tiny spinner, the right guy used a pink wedding band. I only have a bunch of coho spoons and crocs spoons. Drove me crazy changing around and nothing worked.

roseph

« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2021, 06:11:33 PM »

Man I thought I was the only one.  I fished saturday using pink crocs between me and my son.  Nothing for two hours then switched to fly and hooked 6 in 20 minutes.  Also saw a guy killing it with a wedding band and another guy killing it with a dink float on the fraser.

Lesson learned for next time.

chironomidking

« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2021, 06:20:06 PM »

Fished Derby this am from 8:30 to 11:30.  Upon arrival there were lots of fish surfacing, looked promising.  As the current shifted and started to move in, I was hopeful for at least one good push of fish.  Proved to not be the case, as the water came up the surface went quiet.  Amongst 40 or so fishers, I think there might have been 6-8 fish caught all morning. 

I fished 6:30 to 8:30 and hooked 2 does on the fly. Guy beside me got 2 bucks on a spoon.  That was it.    Lots of fish but very few takers.  Once the low slack is done, time to go home - I have seen this happen on several occasions.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2021, 08:00:37 PM »

I fished 6:30 to 8:30 and hooked 2 does on the fly. Guy beside me got 2 bucks on a spoon.  That was it.    Lots of fish but very few takers.  Once the low slack is done, time to go home - I have seen this happen on several occasions.

Do you use float line or intermediate?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2021, 09:47:45 PM »

I fished on Saturday for three hours. the guy to my left caught 12, the guy to my right caught 7. I got zero
The left guy used a tiny spinner, the right guy used a pink wedding band. I only have a bunch of coho spoons and crocs spoons. Drove me crazy changing around and nothing worked.

Yep.  Those wedding bands are killer.  Even on the Vedder they work well.

I'm making some as we speak.

chironomidking

« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2021, 07:10:26 AM »

Do you use float line or intermediate?

Type III sink tip

Angler2214

« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2021, 07:44:19 AM »

Newbie here, any luck for tidal salmon in Richmond or Ambleside areas? Tried a few recommendations from Rod’s site (link below) in Richmond this weekend including No 2 road pier, Dump Bar (no 6) and River Road (New West) and didn’t have much action myself or from those fishing there.

Anyone else catching? Thank you!

https://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/tidal_fraser_river.html

essyoo

« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2021, 09:29:23 AM »

Have been hitting Derby Reach area for most of this run and doing pretty well on each outing. As others have said, incoming tide is where I've had the most success. Usually the hour or two before it peaks for me.

Another thing I've noticed is that most aren't letting their lures sink long enough before retrieving and reeling much too fast on the way in. I change up my count until I find what works but a reaaaaalllly slow retrieve has been the most consistent winner for me.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2021, 09:31:50 AM »

The tidal will probably start to wind down now. As long as your playing the rising tide that will be maximizing your chances. But from here on out the pickings are going to be slimmer.  Casting spoons and then using a slow retrieve is a good easy way of catching, make sure to have your rod tip down and pointed towards the spoon so that you know it's making the right movements.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2021, 02:16:12 PM »

The tidal will probably start to wind down now. As long as your playing the rising tide that will be maximizing your chances. But from here on out the pickings are going to be slimmer.  Casting spoons and then using a slow retrieve is a good easy way of catching, make sure to have your rod tip down and pointed towards the spoon so that you know it's making the right movements.

with almost 6 million now past mission the tidal portion is done. Still can scratch some uo but its pretty much done.

im very thankful DFO opened it before the peak and gave all the family's an opportunity.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »

It's been fun the post couple of weeks, that's for sure.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #116 on: September 15, 2021, 09:40:37 AM »

It looks like it'll be more than 6.6 Million pinks estimated, though the run is slowing down for sure.

373,800   HA   5,648,900
289,600   HA   5,938,500
248,600   HA   6,187,100
250,300   HA   6,437,400

spoiler

« Reply #117 on: September 15, 2021, 11:03:07 AM »

psd1179
the last time I fished for Pinks in the Fraser I used a spoon made by Les Davis called "the hotrod"
 it's hot pink with a white lightning bolt on one side and silver on the other side.
super effective like a fish a cast at times.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #118 on: September 15, 2021, 01:26:43 PM »

I have that spoon hanging on my wall of old fishing lures in my garage. Was my dads.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2021, 01:32:44 PM »

psd1179
the last time I fished for Pinks in the Fraser I used a spoon made by Les Davis called "the hotrod"
 it's hot pink with a white lightning bolt on one side and silver on the other side.
super effective like a fish a cast at times.

Unfortunately they don't make them anymore. I still have a few left. There's a knockoff by Gibbs called the Megawatt. Not the same though.