Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Tidal Fraser River pink salmon fishery opening and updates  (Read 33297 times)

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: 2021 Tidal Fraser River pink salmon fishery opening and updates
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2021, 08:32:54 PM »

Get off my forum. You’re not welcome here anymore. I don’t care if that was meant to be a joke or not, what a juvenile, irresponsible, dangerous thing to say.

Yup. Well done Rod.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2021, 08:55:08 PM »

Well that was awkward ..

Hopefully people don't feel the need to bottom bounce for pinks (they bite!) and can remain civil on the rivers.

I actually snagged a buck by the dorsal fin today. I think it might have been fair game (because tidal and accidental), but I've just always let foul-hooked fish go. I don't know, seems weird.

Going to put in a full day tomm, as the tides are timed nicely, and see how it goes. Will be my last day fishing pinks this season so hoping to hit at least one school that's biting. Been a pretty slow week.

Good luck everyone!
A rig out of water catches no fish.

danielk

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2021, 08:57:51 PM »

Wow.    All I can say.   One bad apple.        Anyways.  How did everyone do today.  I haven’t been able to get out. For 2 days.   I’ll be back from a 4x4 trip Monday      A friend that’s never caught a fish and wants to get into fishing soooo I’m hoping Monday won’t be to late.   For him to get the fishing bug. And hopefully catch a pink.       

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2021, 09:29:15 PM »

Alot of fish moving through yesterday. Not today. Saw only 1 pink hooked but lost. Talked to a few friends who reported the same from Richmond right up to the Port Mann bridge.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2021, 07:12:36 AM »

Just a quick follow-up on this. Just waiting for approval for both Harrison and Vedder retention opportunities, fishery notice should be out very soon.

The fish seem to be more bitey this morning from the reports I received.

One quick note that Garry Point Park is in fact closed to salmon fishing during this opening, as it falls in sub-area 29-9 which is closed to salmon fishing. This item is going to be revisited this fall at the SFAC to have the area rezoned as managers now know how important it is to have opportunities available for shore anglers in that area.

I've been going back and forth in communication with various staff at the department to see how it's going. So far all the feedbacks have been positive. Compliance has been good overall, lots of people out fishing on the long weekend and majority of the participants were all very positive despite of the low catches. Resource managers are now seeing the social and economic benefits from this particular fishery and I'm really happy to see all the effort going into making it successful this year. And I've only caught one so far this season lol!

I'm just gonna show you a couple of screenshots which were relayed to the department earlier today. These are just some of the testimonials which were sent to me (there were a lot more in my inbox...) from first time participants of the fishery. This has never been about getting the allocated biomass to harvest, but to have opportunities and create experiences like these. Most people are just happy that they are able to catch one salmon on their own.

12 more days of happiness, get out there and enjoy it.

Are pinks open for retention on the Vedder ? There was a bunch in the lower yesterday. Just curious.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »

Had some good fishing at Derby yesterday.

Perfect timing on the tides is necessary for success.
I was camped in Edgewater campground in order to figure out the timing of the run - watched it all day.

My theory on catching pinks is fishing at the low slack through the incoming tide.
Pinks tend to wander close to shore during each of the slack periods and there will be moving fish during the incoming tide.

Yesterday, the low tide was around 3:00pm at New West, making low tide at Derby around 4:00pm.
Low slack occurs around an hour later so prime fishing would have been between 5:00pm and 7:00pm, which it was.

It will be different at different spots - the deal with Derby is you have to be able to cast to the fish which are too far away at high tide.

Got my limit in about 40 minutes around 6:00pm.
The top fish in the pic is a huge doe - largest I've ever caught.

Alomar

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2021, 12:02:06 PM »

How long is the seine opening for on Monday??

tfishy

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2021, 01:55:33 PM »

https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=250278&ID=all
2 seine boats, 7am - 8pm  September 12 - 14.

In the US,

UNITED STATES FRASER RIVER PANEL AREA WATERS

TREATY INDIAN FISHERY:
Areas 4B, 5, and 6C: Open for drift gillnet fishing from 12 p.m. (noon), Saturday, September 11, 2021, through 12 p.m. (noon), Monday September 13, 2021.
Areas 6, 7, and 7A in the area southerly and easterly of a straight line drawn from the Iwersen Dock on Point Roberts in the State of Washington to the Georgina Point Light at the entrance to Active Pass in the Province of British Columbia: Open for net fishing from 5 a.m., Saturday, September 11, 2021, through 9 a.m., Monday, September 13, 2021.

ALL CITIZEN FISHERY:
Area 7: Open to reefnet fishing, with non-retention of sockeye, from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, September 11, 2021 and 5 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday, September 12, 2021.

zabber

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2021, 02:22:57 PM »

My theory on catching pinks is fishing at the low slack through the incoming tide.
Pinks tend to wander close to shore during each of the slack periods and there will be moving fish during the incoming tide.

Nice! I noticed this last weekend too .. Fish were close to shore in the hundreds about an hour after low tide. Was more fish than I had seen at any other time (i.e. +/- 2 hours of high tide).

Might head out now and put this theory to the test! Maybe the rain will also make it more appealing for the fish, but not the anglers  ;D ;D

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2021, 04:10:43 PM »

.. Fish were close to shore in the hundreds about an hour after low tide. Was more fish than I had seen at any other time (i.e. +/- 2 hours of high tide).

as the river gets faster and narrows above about the Vedder mouth, it can be like a continouss stream of fish just a few feet out from shore for hours on end!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 08:55:55 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2021, 06:16:02 PM »

Has the mouth of the vedder been hot for anyone? I've noticed it seems to be calming down around derbies reach over the past couple days.

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2021, 09:19:09 PM »

When for a look at the Fort Langley area bars this morning. I've fished there for years and I have never seen so many fishers as I did today. Pretty much shoulder to shoulder in spots. Did not see a lot of bent rods.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

zabber

« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2021, 10:26:42 PM »

I fished for about 4 hours this afternoon on the south arm. A good number of fish pushing in just after slack tide, but not interested in what I was casting (spoons, buzz bombs, flies). Very few people out where I was fishing, and much of the same.

A father/son team did well between 7-7:30, with the 6 year old landing a nice doe and the father having a couple of fish on. Was nice to see the dad let him reel it in himself. The kid was over the moon. On the way out I asked him if that was his first salmon, and he replied with just "first one .. today!" Sounds like he's had a decent week!

That's about it for me for this pink tidal season. Probably my slowest one since 2011, but I caught a handful and learned some things.

Hope you are able to tie into a few this week!

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2021, 12:35:48 PM »

Fished Derby this am from 8:30 to 11:30.  Upon arrival there were lots of fish surfacing, looked promising.  As the current shifted and started to move in, I was hopeful for at least one good push of fish.  Proved to not be the case, as the water came up the surface went quiet.  Amongst 40 or so fishers, I think there might have been 6-8 fish caught all morning.