Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: 2021 Tidal Fraser River pink salmon fishery opening and updates  (Read 33253 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: 2021 Tidal Fraser River pink salmon fishery opening and updates
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2021, 04:55:05 PM »

During the Panel call today the run size of Fraser River Pink salmon was increased to 6,000,000 Pinks with an Area 20 peak timing of August 19.

Flood tides are switching to the morning later  so get out in the morning!! Peak is now so next 5 days is prime for lower Fraser main.

danielk

« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2021, 08:27:50 PM »

Just seeing how everyone did tonight.   I went on a scout to a few places.after work    Stayed abut a hour  in each spot.  The first 2 spots I went to on the surrey side.  People told me they had 1 big hit at 4-5 I just missed that one !!! Each spot I went to after that I asked how they did and they all  said the same 4-5 was on fire then nothing.      Same with  A island the 3 spots I went to.  The channel by Burnett river was slow also tonight.  My friend was there for 3 hours   Nothing
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:33:23 PM by danielk »

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2021, 09:23:44 PM »

Just seeing how everyone did tonight.

I tried the middle arm this evening after work, and because it's 5 mins from my place. I was the only one fishing there and I'm guessing there was a reason for that, lol.

Tried the south arm about an hour before sunset but either too late or not much happening there either, as it seemed folks were wrapping up. Nice night though.

I fished the south arm yesterday as well, and regret not bringing the fly rod, as they were quite close to shore in the afternoon. Interestingly, they were schooling in the area I was fishing for about an hour but only 1 guy in the area brought a fish to shore during that time. Saw 3 others break off in as many hours, so maybe they were onto a different colour. 

I'm lake fishing in the Interior next week (vacation) but will try the next few nights after work. I had a BIG one on the other night that spat the hook right near my feet, so I'm hoping for redemption.  ;D

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:26:48 PM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2021, 09:08:59 AM »

This thread is one of the most wholesome thing I've seen in a while re: local fishery.

The pinks is one of those things that seems to bring out the better part of people; generally good attitudes, sharing, and etiquette, which they (hopefully) take to other fisheries. It's not all about the meat, unlike some of the other fisheries around, which seem to bring out the absolute worst.

It's really the perfect gateway fishery. Low barrier of entry for beginners and families, and lots of easily accessible water. Decent chance of success, and no impact on stocks of concern. Nothing else quite like it.

I've been going back and forth in communication with various staff at the department to see how it's going. So far all the feedbacks have been positive. Compliance has been good overall, lots of people out fishing on the long weekend and majority of the participants were all very positive despite of the low catches. Resource managers are now seeing the social and economic benefits from this particular fishery and I'm really happy to see all the effort going into making it successful this year.

It's encouraging to hear managers are keeping open minds and seeing the benefits. Though the lower Fraser pink fishery has pretty much always been the same, so that fact that this is newsworthy seems to illustrate why progress can be slow. Sounds like it takes a lot of advocacy to get buy-in on what would seem obvious to us...

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2021, 09:27:27 AM »

Here it is.  Let the Gong show begin  ;D

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=250025&ID=all

Waters: Chilliwack/Vedder River (including Sumas River) (from a line between two fishing boundary signs on either side of the Chilliwack River 100 m from the confluence of the Chilliwack River and Slesse Creek downstream including that portion of the Sumas River from the Barrow Town Pump Station downstream to fishing boundary signs near the confluence with the Fraser River).

Waters: Harrison River (from the outlet of Harrison Lake downstream to the Hwy 7 bridge).

Waters: Stave River (downstream of BC Hydro Dam to the CPR Railway bridge).

Effective immediately until September 30, 2021:
- The daily limit for Pink salmon is two (2).

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2021, 11:30:02 AM »

Strange why they wouldn't open the Harrison down to the confluence to the Fraser ? .  ??? Is there a reason why ? . Is there not boundary signs at the mouth of the Harrison maybe , I cant remember seeing any or I am just blind .  :P
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2021, 12:03:21 PM »

A few fish on the spoon this morning, a few fish on the jig. Water clarity was not great. There wasn't a whole lot of fish surfacing, but enough to get some bites until the tide peaked.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2021, 12:49:04 PM »

Strange why they wouldn't open the Harrison down to the confluence to the Fraser ? .  ??? Is there a reason why ? . Is there not boundary signs at the mouth of the Harrison maybe , I cant remember seeing any or I am just blind .  :P

I just got a confirmation that it was a mistake. It should be from Hwy 7 bridge down to the confluence. A revised notice is being worked on now.

danielk

« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2021, 09:42:03 PM »

What’s up people.  Hope all is well.    Just some more reports from my travels.     I stayed local to new west.      Hit up sapperton.     From 445 -645.    Fish got bonked.     A big push came through at 5-530. 
After 6 it was over.    I managed to get one on second cast my friend also picked up a nice girl.a few guys got 4 in the 20 mins !!!    Hope everyone else had a good night.  Tomorrow I think I’m going to head down to burnaby.   Maybe check out foreshore park see if anything is coming up that passageway

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2021, 10:29:59 PM »

After 6 it was over.

Yeah I fished in Richmond from about 5-7pm without a sniff. Must have just missed them. Got excited at one point with some surface action, but it turned out to be a wounded(?) salmon swimming around in circles upstream. Heard the morning tide was better. Just can't catch a break some days, much less a fish  ;D  ;D Nice evening though. Not too many people out.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2021, 09:18:39 PM »

Lots of pinks still moving through.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2021, 09:37:45 PM »

Lots of pinks still moving through.
moving and not a lot biting 
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

santefe

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2021, 10:02:27 PM »

Spent about four hours at the sand heads today.  Has two shakers.  Of about 35 boats out there appeared to little happening.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9