Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Tidal Fraser River pink salmon fishery opening and updates  (Read 33230 times)

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
Re: 2021 Tidal Fraser River pink salmon fishery opening and updates
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2021, 10:00:43 PM »

Went out all day and didn't hook up till about 5pm. After 5pm I limited out and lost 6 in about an hr and a half . Definitely picking up.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2021, 02:39:20 AM »

I published these on my Facebook page yesterday.

JustPuttsin

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2021, 06:22:05 AM »

I was out in glen valley,yesterday, from the start of tide change until nearly dark. Not lucky enough to get one but a few were caught.Weird the way these fish bite...One minute nothing.....The next minute one after the other and then complete stop in bites again. Should have taken my kayak with me.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 06:24:04 AM by JustPuttsin »

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »

Went out all day and didn't hook up till about 5pm. After 5pm I limited out and lost 6 in about an hr and a half . Definitely picking up.

Nice! I fished for a couple of hours in Richmond yesterday evening but only got into one fish around 6:45. Seemed slower than Saturday, and others were citing the commercial opening. Didn't really see any surface action until right before I tied into that fish.

Weird the way these fish bite...One minute nothing.....The next minute one after the other and then complete stop in bites again.

My understanding is that the fish push up in schools. If a school is there you (and others around you) have a good chance of hooking up. You can often see them porpoising and jumping when the fish are passing through. If no one is catching anything it's just a waiting game.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Aurora

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2021, 01:46:35 PM »

Was out for entire morning in Langley.  Lots of people.  Fun watching how people were reacting to this group in the middle of the stretch of water we were fishing.  Seems no one else was catching anything.  The group in the middle limited then continued fishing but passing rod to others.  People either crowded them or discreetly walked by and tried to figure out what they were doing. 

Took me 5 hours to land two bucks.  Lost all the doe's.  Story of my life.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2021, 02:08:50 PM »

Over 1 Million Pinks moved through the last 2 days.  They must have moved through while I was at home  ;D

511,500   HA   2,275,600
501,200   HA   2,776,800

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2021, 06:25:54 PM »

Caught 1 fish on River Rd on Friday - fairly slow with not too many fish surfacing.

Went to Langley on Saturday, Sunday and today - 2 on Saturday, 3 on Sunday and lost all 3 today.
Huge crowd there today with a bunch of school aged kids out.

Need some rain which is coming in the next couple of days.

knotbadman

« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2021, 07:20:14 AM »

I fished at Glen Valley on Sat and Sun. Nothing on Saturday but got into a lot of fish on Sunday. Kept 3. It was one of those odd days where I was hooking up lots and so was the guy next to me but no one else was. (Usually the other way around for me) As I was leaving someone enquired what lure I was using. I replied that it was an Orange and Silver Koho spoon. He told me that you're not allowed to use "orange" for pink salmon. I am fairly certain this is not true and I reread the regs. Can someone confirm this for me? Just want to make sure it's not part of the "release coho and chinook but don't even fish for sockeye part of the regs. Thanks in advance!

ButtLoadOfDucks

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2021, 07:48:49 AM »

Sounds like that guy is just a tiiiny bit jealous

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2021, 08:14:17 AM »

I fished at Glen Valley on Sat and Sun. Nothing on Saturday but got into a lot of fish on Sunday. Kept 3. It was one of those odd days where I was hooking up lots and so was the guy next to me but no one else was. (Usually the other way around for me) As I was leaving someone enquired what lure I was using. I replied that it was an Orange and Silver Koho spoon. He told me that you're not allowed to use "orange" for pink salmon. I am fairly certain this is not true and I reread the regs. Can someone confirm this for me? Just want to make sure it's not part of the "release coho and chinook but don't even fish for sockeye part of the regs. Thanks in advance!

Use whatever colours you want. People say the weirdest things during this time of the year.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2021, 08:45:26 AM »

It was likely a joke. Humour is rather subjective i find....likely why i have so many friends here like milo lol

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2021, 09:35:30 AM »

when I got into this back in the 80s there used to be a saying "use pink for pinks". Maybe this guy heard this expression but misunderstood the meaning. Just about anything will work at times. Chartreuse is a good color as is orange. I have seen numbers caught with plain silver or gold spoons or spinners.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 12:12:11 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2021, 11:51:25 AM »

We used to catch Pinks on herring strip trolled behind a flasher when fishing for coho out at Tsawwassen in front of the coal port back in the day.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2021, 01:59:02 PM »

And that is exactly what is being worked on behind the scene at the moment...

Discussion on pink salmon opportunities took place in the last two days. I was asked for input on what opportunities should be available and my recommendation was 2 fish/day throughout September then closed to fishing after Sept 30th, for both the Chilliwack and Harrison River systems. More likely than not you'll see a fishery notice next week for these.

Just a quick follow-up on this. Just waiting for approval for both Harrison and Vedder retention opportunities, fishery notice should be out very soon.

The fish seem to be more bitey this morning from the reports I received.

One quick note that Garry Point Park is in fact closed to salmon fishing during this opening, as it falls in sub-area 29-9 which is closed to salmon fishing. This item is going to be revisited this fall at the SFAC to have the area rezoned as managers now know how important it is to have opportunities available for shore anglers in that area.

I've been going back and forth in communication with various staff at the department to see how it's going. So far all the feedbacks have been positive. Compliance has been good overall, lots of people out fishing on the long weekend and majority of the participants were all very positive despite of the low catches. Resource managers are now seeing the social and economic benefits from this particular fishery and I'm really happy to see all the effort going into making it successful this year. And I've only caught one so far this season lol!

I'm just gonna show you a couple of screenshots which were relayed to the department earlier today. These are just some of the testimonials which were sent to me (there were a lot more in my inbox...) from first time participants of the fishery. This has never been about getting the allocated biomass to harvest, but to have opportunities and create experiences like these. Most people are just happy that they are able to catch one salmon on their own.

12 more days of happiness, get out there and enjoy it.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2021, 02:16:45 PM »

That’s what’s it’s all about so important for new anglers it’s great to see