Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Tidal Fraser River pink salmon fishery opening and updates  (Read 32773 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer
Re: 2021 Tidal Fraser River pink salmon fishery opening and updates
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2021, 02:24:15 PM »

I fished the North Arm for about 2 hours just before low slack. I saw no definite signs of pinks. I thought the water clarity was relatively good. While it was a good run out (1.6 feet), I've never seen the river this low in this location. I got to see all the snags to which I'd previous made lure donations.

I did see a beaver (surprise). It swam by within 20 feet of me and even gave me a look! What a city slicker!

Same thing here. no fish rolling. no bite. Water is quite clear in my experience

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2021, 03:12:24 PM »

The estimated escapement of pink salmon past Mission through September 2 is 1,671,900. Catches of pink salmon in the in-river test fisheries have not increased as much as expected over the last week implying a longer travel time from Area 20 than the assumed travel time of 18 days or a smaller run size than expected. Daily estimates at the Mission hydroacoustic site remain steady and have yet to observe a substantial increase in abundance that might represent the pink salmon observed in the marine test fisheries on August 13 and 14 in Area 20. The large abundance associated with high test fishing catches on August 23 and 24 have not been confirmed by the US pink directed fisheries. Unlike sockeye salmon, pink salmon migrate slower and have demonstrated considerable variability in their migration behavior in the past, making it more challenging to line up observations in Area 20 with observations in Area 7/7A or at Mission. This lack of confirmation of the high test fishing catches in Area 20 increases the uncertainty associated with the abundance represented by these large marine test fishing catches and the associated run size. At Monday’s meeting, the Panel adopted an in-season run size of 5,700,000 pink salmon with an associated Area 20 timing of August 18. Further updates of run size will be dependent on additional confirmation of abundances.

https://www.psc.org/download/639/2021/14059/september-3-2021-2.pdf

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2021, 05:52:50 PM »

I saw hundreds if not thousands near the reach today on the tide change. But about an hr after the tide change it dropped of quick.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2021, 05:54:55 PM »

I saw hundreds if not thousands near the reach today on the tide change. But about an hr after the tide change it dropped of quick.

...and you caught how many?

pretty typical for the tidal Fraser IME. Mostly fish are active around the change.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2021, 06:07:18 PM »

Richmond is on fire...No.5, 6, 7, fish jumping everywhere now.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2021, 07:29:12 PM »

I landed 2 and lost 6 but took me awhile to find out what they wanted. They wouldn't touch anything but my spoons. I wasted quite some time twitching lol. Then I slipped on a rock fighting a fish and decided it was time to go home and rest till tomorrow ;)

nevertoolate

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2021, 07:49:25 PM »

I am having a hard time interpreting the regulations.   Are we able to fish for pinks in the Vedder right now?

colin6101

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2021, 08:19:01 PM »

No you can't fish for them in the Vedder right now, only Springs and Coho are open. They usually announce an opening once they get an idea what the return is like.
https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 08:42:37 PM »

Passed by the Port Mann area to look. Visibility is surprisingly good (by lower Fraser standards). Didnt see any activity in the 5-10 minutes I watched

ktt

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2021, 10:10:13 PM »

Fishing the south arm in Richmond this evening, water clarity is good, caught one and lost two. It was nice to see Officers come and check people's gear.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2021, 10:10:17 PM »

We dragged the family out this evening (kids, grandparents) for a couple hours just down from the Upper fishing boundary in Abby-Mission to hit the evening peak tide. Unlike Richmond, we did not see thick schools of fish going by. There were the odd rolls here and there, and majority of the surface activity did not occur until around 8pm. I managed to lost one right by my feet and somehow foul hooked another one. There were around 30 to 40 other anglers enjoying the evening, and perhaps 5 to 10 other fish caught in total. Water clarity was so so up this way, visibility was perhaps slightly less than a foot. I'm sure the fishing will only improve on the days to come.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2021, 10:11:39 PM »

I am having a hard time interpreting the regulations.   Are we able to fish for pinks in the Vedder right now?

Fishing for pink salmon is closed in the Chilliwack/Vedder at the moment, this includes catch and release. Retention opportunities are being considered for both the Chilliwack and Harrison River system today, and more likely than not there will be an opening announcement at some point next week.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2021, 10:59:59 PM »

Fishing for pink salmon is closed in the Chilliwack/Vedder at the moment, this includes catch and release. Retention opportunities are being considered for both the Chilliwack and Harrison River system today, and more likely than not there will be an opening announcement at some point next week.

I spent some time scouting Calamity point this afternoon. 3 pinks observed rising. 4+ cycles ago  at this time of year and my log book says I had multiple hookups already.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2021, 09:37:38 PM »

a few caught today with both my sons! when i went to buy license this morn i hadn't realized the last time i did this was 2015 !!!!

pink buzz bomb in the 2inch was the ticket !

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2021, 10:04:02 PM »

No shortage of fish moving through the upper part of the Tidal Fraser this evening. Almost everyone was catching them which was nice to see. Water clarity was not great...