Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 77301 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

As mentioned in several posts throughout this year, the Sumas First Nation has been exploring terminal fishing options in the Chilliwack/Vedder River system for their community. Back in July and August, fishing for summer chinook salmon was done for several weeks and just over 50 chinook salmon were harvested. There have also been ongoing discussions since earlier this year about fall fishery options for other species and these will be taking place starting this weekend.

Four salmon species will be harvested and the target numbers are 750 coho salmon (hatchery marked), 2,000 pink salmon, 500 chum salmon and 200 chinook salmon.

Unlike the summer chinook salmon fishery, the method used in the fall fisheries will be an open weir trap. This will be set up just below the confluence of the Sumas River. As shown in the diagram, the weir will be made of a lead line which guides fish into the channels created by the trap lines. Once in the compartment, fish can be removed by dip net. Targeted species can be harvested by this selective fishing practice, while protected species such as wild coho and sockeye salmon can be released without being harmed.

Just a side commentary as always. This has been a collaboration throughout 2021 and I continue to be very impressed by all the groups involved. I am happy that selective fishing options are being considered while none of us really know if this pilot project would actually catch fish. I’m also really pleased to see the harvest target numbers are being kept really conservatively while more work is being done on assessing stock abundance. Lastly, I am grateful that I have been given the opportunity to contribute my knowledge on the recreational fisheries and address concerns that I have had. There are numerous challenges in fisheries across this province and no shortage of divisions in this world, but I am feeling that we are doing something right in this little corner.

More updates to come! :)

CohoJake

• Old Timer

All foul hooked fish die.
Yes, all salmon die after spawning.  Given how many fish I have caught with hooks/lures in their bodies, sometimes catching the same fish 2 days in a row, I know some foul hooked fish do manage to make it just fine. The other day my wife landed a pink that had a Brad's Wiggler (a type of salmon plug with 2 treble hooks in it) hooked in it's anal fin.  She actually hooked the lure with her bead leader and landed it that way. It was a great catch, because those plugs are like $8 US each. This fish had obviously been hooked much farther downstream in the Skagit where these lures are commonly used, but we were way upriver fishing for coho - the plug in his fin didn't stop him from making it most of the way to his spawning grounds.

But on the other hand - I feel that pinks will bleed if you just look at them wrong - I've landed plenty that were hooked in the tip of the nose but were still bleeding from their gills/throats. That is why I only fish for pinks when I tend to retain them and I quit after reaching my quota.

fic

• Old Timer

As mentioned in several posts throughout this year, the Sumas First Nation has been exploring terminal fishing options in the Chilliwack/Vedder River system for their community. Back in July and August, fishing for summer chinook salmon was done for several weeks and just over 50 chinook salmon were harvested. There have also been ongoing discussions since earlier this year about fall fishery options for other species and these will be taking place starting this weekend.

Four salmon species will be harvested and the target numbers are 750 coho salmon (hatchery marked), 2,000 pink salmon, 500 chum salmon and 200 chinook salmon.

Unlike the summer chinook salmon fishery, the method used in the fall fisheries will be an open weir trap. This will be set up just below the confluence of the Sumas River. As shown in the diagram, the weir will be made of a lead line which guides fish into the channels created by the trap lines. Once in the compartment, fish can be removed by dip net. Targeted species can be harvested by this selective fishing practice, while protected species such as wild coho and sockeye salmon can be released without being harmed.

Just a side commentary as always. This has been a collaboration throughout 2021 and I continue to be very impressed by all the groups involved. I am happy that selective fishing options are being considered while none of us really know if this pilot project would actually catch fish. I’m also really pleased to see the harvest target numbers are being kept really conservatively while more work is being done on assessing stock abundance. Lastly, I am grateful that I have been given the opportunity to contribute my knowledge on the recreational fisheries and address concerns that I have had. There are numerous challenges in fisheries across this province and no shortage of divisions in this world, but I am feeling that we are doing something right in this little corner.

Interesting info. If the weir works like the rock weir at the Capilano, they should catch tons of fish.  Any idea when they plan to start it or they already have? 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Interesting info. If the weir works like the rock weir at the Capilano, they should catch tons of fish.  Any idea when they plan to start it or they already have?

This work begins today. The fishing times are going to be Thursday to Monday in the weeks to come.

psd1179

• Old Timer

The seals gonna love the weir trap

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

so great to see the local FN bands adopting selective methods. This is a new one! We are getting close to what has been hoped for a long period of time. Much of the fishing currently done on the Fraser uses fish wheels and beach seines. Beach seines haven't yielded the release survival rates that was hoped for but it is at it's worse no worse than the average loss of gill nets. In most tests it's considerable less. it will be interesting to see the survival rates from this method once it's tested.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Now back to the fishing... ;)

The first hatchery coho salmon of the season was a dandy.

FYI, since the rain and river level bump last weekend, the hatchery now has about 600 to 700 coho salmon. Average size appears to be bigger.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Is there anything you're doing different with your presentation to target springs? I have yet to catch one in the vedder and I'd love to get into some this season. From what I understand it's looking for the deeper pockets but is that it?

I'm probably the worst person to ask about targeting springs. I tend to fish the more quiet tailouts, away from crowds so I usually end up catching spring jacks instead of big adults.

canoeboy

• row row row my boat

Might catch you out that way tomorrow then rod. Looks like the fishing has been good.

stsfisher

Just to clarify please? will this trap be 300' across and 300' long in total just below the confluence of the Sumas and Vedder or confluence of what should be known as the Sumas and Fraser? 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

The total length of the lead line is 300', the trap is not 300' across. The trap is required to be less than 2/3 across the channel starting from the shallow side, leaving the deeper side of the channel open. This is being set up just downstream from the Sumas confluence where it enters the Vedder, not the Vedder/Sumas confluence to the Fraser.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

so great to see the local FN bands adopting selective methods. This is a new one! We are getting close to what has been hoped for a long period of time. Much of the fishing currently done on the Fraser uses fish wheels and beach seines. Beach seines haven't yielded the release survival rates that was hoped for but it is at it's worse no worse than the average loss of gill nets. In most tests it's considerable less. it will be interesting to see the survival rates from this method once it's tested.

Exactly this is what everyone has been asking for. There is usually thousands of chinook and coho as surplus in the hatchery.

psd1179

• Old Timer

Exactly this is what everyone has been asking for. There is usually thousands of chinook and coho as surplus in the hatchery.

Rod said there were 600-700 coho in the hatchery already. Why bother set up the trap? just scoop the fish in the hatchery

roeman

"Surplus"
Thats hillarious.  Since when are fish a surplus..
Are you fishin or catchin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Now back to the fishing... ;)

The first hatchery coho salmon of the season was a dandy.

FYI, since the rain and river level bump last weekend, the hatchery now has about 600 to 700 coho salmon. Average size appears to be bigger.

I got my 1st coho of the season earlier in the week. Not a hatchery fish and not in the Vedder but it was large and one of the most epic tussles I have had with a fish. It was about 10 to 12lbs and i got it on a 6wt fly rod. It ran down stream along a high bank overgrown with high grass and blackerries. I chased it down while it was jumping all the way. When I caught up with it, it ran back upstream to where where I had hooked it. This time i just pointed the rod out horizontal and brought it back. When it was back in front of me the leader was tangled around a blackberry bramble. I couldn't free it. I sat on the edge of the bank and tried to rich the exhausted fish with my net. Too far away! I leaned out farther and slide down the bank into the water & filled my rubber boots. Then I broke the leader above the tangle and was able to steer it into my net which has a bag that's 24 inches deep. Several inches of the fish from behind the dorsal fin to the tail poked above the rim of the net. I cut the leader and let the fish go.

Just moments before that I hooked and got a good look at a fish that I'd guess was around 15 lbs. Was it a coho? There are springs in that stream but this fish had a big hooked kype which spring usually do not. Fought like a coho as well with that patented roll. I saw lots of big fish surface in this stream which most years the coho run maybe 3 to 6lbs with a few larger.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.