Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 78441 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Around 10,000 coho salmon have bypassed all of us lousy anglers so far. Fish harder people. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

psd1179

• Old Timer

Need to twitch jigs there

Morty

Around 10,000 coho salmon have bypassed all of us lousy anglers so far. Fish harder people. ;D

Night Swimmers.   
For years we've been catching most of the ones that are pre-disposed to Day swimming.   ;)
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

Odd everyone was talking about fishing in the lower and now they are all at the hatchery.

What happened in all the pools in between

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Scouting out spots today and went to a spot on the river today where there was anglers lined up on both sides of the run around a dozen on each side. Lots of cohos were surfacing and jumping in the run. There was 3 anglers standing shoulder to shoulder hooking one after the other where’s as only the odd fish was being hooked by all the other anglers. Upon further investigation looking more closely at what they were using as most everyone there were using beads. I realized the three anglers were using long leaders. Lol. Looked to be around 6 foot leaders from the weight to the bead. Most of the fish they were landing were wild with an occasional hatchery. Must have been a ton of fish in there to be flossed one after the other. Just an observation folks do not want to start a debate here. Cheers

milo

• Old Timer

Upon further investigation looking more closely at what they were using as most everyone there were using beads. I realized the three anglers were using long leaders. Lol. Looked to be around 6 foot leaders from the weight to the bead. Most of the fish they were landing were wild with an occasional hatchery. Must have been a ton of fish in there to be flossed one after the other. Just an observation folks do not want to start a debate here. Cheers

I don't even bother to get upset anymore. There was a guy fishing by my side the other day. He was hooking 5-6 fish to my 1. He tried to "help" me hook into more fish by suggesting I fish deeper (so that the weight would drag along the bottom causing his 5 foot leader to sway). I thanked him and told him I preferred to catch biting fish only. He was genuinely shocked when I explained that most, if not all, of his fish were lined (flossed).
To prove my point, I asked him to put on a tiny green bead on top of his hook. Needless to say, he kept doing quite well. 🤪
But it's OK. There was a time, many moons ago, when I believed chartreuse yarn was the hot ticket for Fraser sockeye. 🥴

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

If you have been fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder River system, you may have come across a hatchery coho salmon with one of these black tags. This is one of several fishery projects taking place right now in the river system. Yesterday I was able to watch some of the fish being tagged at the Chilliwack River Hatchery and had a conversation with the biologist in charge of this at Fisheries and Oceans Canada. These adult coho salmon are tagged once they reach the hatchery and released back into the Vedder Canal. Around ten specimens are tagged and released per day. If you catch a tagged hatchery coho salmon, please feel free to retain the fish, but we'd like you to return the black tag by dropping it off at Fred's Custom Tackle's Chilliwack store. It would also be really helpful if you can include the time and location of the capture. Studies like this can only be successful with the help from the recreational fishing community and they'll hopefully benefit anglers in the future.

Please share the information with others.

armytruck

• Old Timer

How many hatchery did you count in there  ;D ;D ;D :o
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

booters

I dont know

Morty

What a waste !!
Three fairly large white Chinook stripped of their roe and dumped over the side of the road at the parking area just west of Way's Field

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/SeaLegend22/waste.jpg

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

How many hatchery did you count in there  ;D ;D ;D :o

There were quite a few hatchery fish I saw, some rather big ones...

Conditions remain great, water is getting a little on the low side but that shall change pretty quickly this weekend. Popped down to the river briefly this evening. One hook-up, and one bright silver hatchery fish on the beach.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
It ain't the roe bro'

Morty

RADIO TAGS

If you have been fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder River system, you may have come across a hatchery coho salmon with one of these black tags. This is one of several fishery projects taking place right now in the river system. Yesterday I was able to watch some of the fish being tagged at the Chilliwack River Hatchery and had a conversation with the biologist in charge of this at Fisheries and Oceans Canada. These adult coho salmon are tagged once they reach the hatchery and released back into the Vedder Canal. Around ten specimens are tagged and released per day. If you catch a tagged hatchery coho salmon, please feel free to retain the fish, but we'd like you to return the black tag by dropping it off at Fred's Custom Tackle's Chilliwack store. It would also be really helpful if you can include the time and location of the capture. Studies like this can only be successful with the help from the recreational fishing community and they'll hopefully benefit anglers in the future.

Please share the information with others.

Curious how much data is obtained from those tags. ??   Are they tracked automatically via GPS or does the researcher have to go on river with a device to track?  Is the data collected fairly often?  (i.e. fish's location every 15 minutes or so?)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

River conditions surprisingly have remained excellent. It really hasn't rained that much in this valley. Great to see many anglers out there enjoying the day.