Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2021 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 77294 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

It is that time of the year again! The fall salmon fishery in Chilliwack/Vedder River takes place between late August and early December. Like past seasons, I usually like to get this information up and provide ongoing updates so those who are new to the fishery can have a chance to enjoy what this river has to offer by learning proper techniques, staying informed on regulations and etiquettes.

Fish species

All five salmon species are found in this river during these months, but only some can be targeted and/or retained.

Fishing regulations

The salmon regulations of Chilliwack River, including the daily quota of each species, can be found in Region 2 of the Freshwater salmon supplement.

Cultus Lake sockeye salmon alert

Cultus Lake sockeye salmon are endangered and usually enter the Chilliwack River in late summer so their run time overlaps with other fall salmon species. All sockeye salmon caught in the Chilliwack River are required to be released carefully. Please be aware of the difference between a coho and a sockeye salmon. Some Cultus Lake sockeye salmon are also missing their adipose fin so please don't confuse them with hatchery-marked coho salmon. Read about it some more...

How to float fish more effectively for coho salmon?

To effectively catch salmon on the Vedder by float fishing, you want to keep your offerings in the strike zone. New anglers have a tendency to mistaken the strike zone as the depth where the fish are sitting. It is not. Salmonids look up and strike at the offerings above them. The fish position themselves near the bottom, so the strike zone is usually 1 or 2 feet above the river bed. This technique does not only apply to the Chilliwack River, but also other Lower Fraser River tributaries.

Gear setup

Rod:9' to 10'6" baitcasting or centerpin rod, rated between 8 and 20lb
Reel:Small baitcasting reels or centerpin reels
Main line:12 to 15lb test
Leader:6 to 10lb test
Hook:Size 4 to 2/0

The diagrams below illustrate the correct and not-so-correct ways of float depth adjustment.

Excessive length of leader

For some reason, many people believe a longer leader would produce more fish, quite the opposite! Your hook will always travel faster than your weight in a river. By using a long leader, your hook and bait are lifted up higher from the river bed, away from the strike zone.

Excessive float depth

Some choose to adjust their float depth so the weight is "tapping" or sitting on the bottom. The weight will usually anchor itself to the river bed, while the float drifts slowly or becomes stationary. Two things will result from this setup:

• You'll snag onto the bottom, and lose your weight, hook and bait.
  • Even worse, you'll end up snagging a pink or chinook in the belly or tail, which can be time consuming to bring in and release.

My way of float adjustment, but not necessarily the ONLY way

So far this has worked very well by producing about a dozen or more coho each season on the Vedder River without losing any hook, weight or line. I usually like to keep my leader length (the line between the hook and weight) around 1.5 feet in length. Judging the depth by looking at the gradient of the river bank and the water, I adjust my float depth (the length from the float to the hook) so that it is about 1 to 2 feet shorter than the actual depth. When this is drifted, the bait will lift a few inches higher, remaining in the strike zone. When the float dips under the water, there is no hesitation as I don't need to question whether it is a snag or a fish. The hook is usually set hard and most of the time the fight is on.

Some other small adjustments

I find these adjustments would connect me into more fish in the past.

• The float size varies, small (11 grams) in clearer, slower water, while big (25 grams) in faster, deeper water.
  • Tie on enough weight so only about 0.5 inch of your float (or the coloured tip) emerges on the water surface. This allows you to detect the bites sooner.
  • Keep your main line (the line between your rod tip and your float) tight enough without disrupting the drift. Always try to avoid having any line laying on the water surface.
  • Keep the drifts short. A longer drift doesn't necessarily mean a bigger chance to catch a fish. Long drifts also cause inconvenience for nearby anglers
  • Avoid standing in the water, especially when you arrive at a new location. Undisturbed fish have a tendency to stay close to the river bank.

Video resources

Some videos to get you started.

Water condition updates

Throughout the season, members will post up water condition updates so everyone can be alerted if condition is not ideal. Please feel free to post updates in this thread after your trips. We can all benefit from each other's updates and save gasoline and cost of our season. Please do not ask for updates. All requests will be deleted.

iblly

• Old Timer

Have you put this back up because you got a hoho already :-)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Um, no. I haven't touched a hoho nor have I touched my rod since early July. I know, it's incredibly unhealthy so I am determined to change that soon... :-X

iblly

• Old Timer

Driving along the lower today see a few cars and trucks around

iblly

• Old Timer

I hear guys are launching at barrow town and running down to the mouth but Fraser is not open for salmon is it ?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

It is still closed for Salmon if I’m reading the Sept 1 updated fishery notice correctly. They are probally fishing for Sturgeon at least let’s hope so. Back in the day we used to fish the canal for cutthroat out of a car topper and hardly ever see anyone around. Then as the yrs went by the Vedder canal turned into a boater hwy with the big jets roaring down to access the Fraser and that ended that.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 06:25:09 PM by Wiseguy »

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer

Roared down to the mouth in my big jet boat 2 days ago and saw a few boats anchored up in a line trying to catch sturgeon with pink spoons and spinners.

jim

A friend and I scouted around the lower Vedder on the 2nd. We saw no pinks, but did see a small school of springs I think. A few teenagers had spotted them also and were fishing with one rod to try and catch them. they were in a side channel in super slow water, so I could see silver grey sides on a few, down 8-9 feet below. guys were gear fishing at a couple well known spots, and a few fly fishers in the canal.

fic

• Old Timer

Low and Clear obviously. The fish are not moving through in the day time it seems. They are hiding out in holes until night time.  Need some rain/clouds to get them moving like a fish conveyer belt.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Fair amount of pink salmon can be found throughout the lower river now. Hopefully a little bit of rain in the forecast will spread things out a bit.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Had a look see at the dog park today. A dozen anglers below the crossing on either side of the bridge. They were fruitlessly flailing away. The river is super low and clear.

Old Blue

Lot's of waves of pinks that I saw this afternoon in the short time I swung by above the canal.  I stepped away from a small crowd that were spaced very far apart and found some fly water to myself and quickly dispatched two great looking fish on my 6 weight that'll be sturgeon bait on sunday.

iblly

• Old Timer

Fished today between crossing and peach road, hooked several pinks and one coho. Lost the coho. Not a lot of water to choose but I managed to stay away from the “meat holes”. Saw to coho dispatched.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

caught 10 or more pinks in the lower river in about 5 hours plus lost a good number including a spring. Saw one spring and one jack landed and another angler lose a nice spring. Pinks are turning colour. I kept 2. One still had sea lice.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer

Awesome. I fished three hours yesterday between crossing and peach on yarrow side and only hooked one pink. I did avoid the crowded hot spots though.