Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fished the Qualicum river  (Read 1989 times)

benedictbrown

Fished the Qualicum river
« on: August 29, 2021, 06:19:47 PM »

Hi everyone,

Anybody fished the Qualicum river for coho above the hatchery in the last few years,what is the best way ,float or spoons ?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!!!

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: Fished the Qualicum river
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 07:05:58 PM »

i was there last oct and the river was slow and clear. mostly float fishing some nice size coho taken one guy was fly fishing and i saw him hook into 3 fish landed 2. nobody throwing spoons that i saw, lots of dirty chum around as well. opens 30th sept for 2 a day.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 08:21:27 PM »

I passed over the Qualicum river last week while saltwater salmon fishing on the island. All of the eastern island streams I saw have extreme low water conditions. There is a serious drought on eastern VI. Hopefully lots of rain this fall.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »

other than as specified in regs there is a stream closure July 15th to Aug 31st south of Campbell River.

Are we talking about the Big Q or the Little Q?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

chille51

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 09:59:34 AM »

Not adding much to what others have said, but I did fish the Big Q about 2 weeks ago, before all the rains of the last couple of days.  It was very low for most of the length at that time.  There is one big hole about a 10-15 minute walk up the trail from the hatchery parking lot, and a few other smaller ones along the way.  Most people were fishing the length just above the hatchery by the train bridge.  Most people were float fishing, a few chucking spoons or spinners.  I tried both and didn't have any luck, and lost a few spoons in the process.  Saw a couple of people land some pinks by the bridge, and there were Chinook in there, though mostly holding below the hatchery where it is not legal to fish. 

The rains over this weekend hopefully have made it better.  It was a busy spot by 10am, as it is so accessible - so I would get there early.  Check the regs, there are limits on hook size.