Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing off a bridge in BC?  (Read 5027 times)

Clipped.Adipose

Fishing off a bridge in BC?
« on: August 24, 2021, 01:25:09 PM »

I always thought it was illegal to fish off a bridge in BC but I can’t find it in the regs? Is it illegal?

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing off a bridge in BC?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 02:18:33 PM »

Hmmm interesting question.  I have no idea since I have never considered it, particularly when the next logical thought would be how would you recover the hooked fish, which may also need to be released?  (maybe that answers the question?)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 03:33:58 PM »

I recall there used to be a popular, and legal, bridge fishery for salmon on the Shuswap River.

Then I found this article: https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/fisheries-puts-a-stop-to-snagging-in-shuswap/

Fishing for salmon on the bridge, as well as upstream and down, is now illegal. Not because fishing from a bridge is inherently illegal, but because 90% of the fishing activity was snagging.

To confirm your thinking, I think you might need to look into transportation acts (i.e. BC Highway Act, or similar) to see what the regulations and prohibitions are.       

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 07:05:52 PM »

I recall a line in the regs about how fishing from a bridge, or within 100m of a dam (or similar), was prohibited. Looked just now but I can't find it. Probably I'm just looking in the wrong PDF... there are so many different freshwater PDFs ::)

Clipped.Adipose

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 08:50:17 AM »

I ask because I was at a popular bridge and there were guys catching and releasing trout from probably 50 feet up. I’m positive all the fish “released” are dead. I told them it was illegal to fish from a bridge and they said they get talked to all the time by the conservation officers but they don’t get fines because nothing they are doing is technically against the regulations. They check that their hooks aren’t barbed and then leave them alone.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »

I dont think there's any regs against fishing off a bridge, though they should get a talking to about fish handling practices. The regs have a some wording about releasing fish in a harmful way (dont recall the exact wording)

If I caught a trout then threw it 50 ft in the air back into the water, whats the difference from dropping it off a bridge? Either should be considered poor practice

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 09:30:50 AM »

I ask because I was at a popular bridge and there were guys catching and releasing trout from probably 50 feet up. I’m positive all the fish “released” are dead. I told them it was illegal to fish from a bridge and they said they get talked to all the time by the conservation officers but they don’t get fines because nothing they are doing is technically against the regulations. They check that their hooks aren’t barbed and then leave them alone.

As DanL says  anglers need to handle and release their catch in a manner that maximizes their chance of survival.  If they don't they can be charged under wildlife act.

I don't know if you'd be willing to say were this bridge is, even generally?

suggestions: gather information if you can - photos of dead fish in the water, license plate numbers, photos of the 'culprits'? Contact the local Fish and wildlife office and see if can speak to the Regional biologist and inform them of your concerns.

List of office and contact info: https://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/offices.html

I did this last spring after visiting a local stream that was not included in the updates for spring closure. I saw a number of small dead trout in the water. I took photos and forwarded them to the Regional Biologist and asked why this stream wasn't included in the closure updates as these are in place to protect these fish.. He got back to me and told me it should have been included. He also had intelligence that steelhead had been seen spawning in this stream for the 1st time in decades. He assured me it would be included in the spring closure as soon as possible. I am hopeful this happens.

Last note - Local governments and the Ministry of Transportation have the ability to ban fishing on specific bridges will do so if the fishing activity disrupts vehicle of pedestrian traffic.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:34:03 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 06:03:17 PM »

Friend of mine just sent me a picture of about 20 people fishing off a bridge over the Shuswap river in Enderby right now. I assume it’s ok ??

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 06:51:22 PM »

Friend of mine just sent me a picture of about 20 people fishing off a bridge over the Shuswap river in Enderby right now. I assume it’s ok ??

Definitely not legal from Jun 15 to Nov 15:
Salmon regs: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region8-eng.html
Freshwater regs: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/freshwater-fishing/region_8_okanagan.pdf

That bridge is notorious for snagging and other illegal fishing practices. Fishing was shut down around the bridge years ago for the reasons mentioned in the article that Clarki posted above.

Send your friend's photo to RAPP. The COs know that the bridge is a problem area but it's nice to remind them 8)

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 07:51:10 AM »

I’ve never even considered fishing off a bridge ?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 07:58:49 PM »

Don’t they fish off a cliff on the Capilano river? Wouldnt that be a similar situation?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 10:22:13 AM »

People who fish off bridges or similar high structures should be required to have a hoop style Pier net like the one used in this video;

https://youtu.be/9eIFoXVsBgg?t=139

if they have to release a fish they can lower it back down rather than a 50 foot drop release a fish is unlikely to survive. Nor does a small fish have to hang off a hook while it's winched up a rod and reel. I have seen nets like this used at the Campbell River fishing dock.

instructions to make one are on line including you-tube:

https://www.instructables.com/Homemade-PierBridge-Landing-Net-Fishing/

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

salmonrook

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2021, 10:21:28 PM »

Don’t they fish off a cliff on the Capilano river? Wouldnt that be a similar situation?
They do at the Cable Pool  I think , its basically snagging , or spearing ?

Big Green Machine

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 04:35:43 PM »

Definitely not legal from Jun 15 to Nov 15:
Salmon regs: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region8-eng.html
Freshwater regs: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/fishing-and-hunting/freshwater-fishing/region_8_okanagan.pdf

That bridge is notorious for snagging and other illegal fishing practices. Fishing was shut down around the bridge years ago for the reasons mentioned in the article that Clarki posted above.

Send your friend's photo to RAPP. The COs know that the bridge is a problem area but it's nice to remind them 8)

You have the wrong bridge in mind. The one in Enderby was open mig August to mid September. Plus, it’s not illegal to fish off a bridge unless stated so in the water specific regs, like the Trinity bridge upstream.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 04:37:23 PM by Big Green Machine »

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2021, 08:59:57 PM »

You have the wrong bridge in mind. The one in Enderby was open mig August to mid September. Plus, it’s not illegal to fish off a bridge unless stated so in the water specific regs, like the Trinity bridge upstream.
Yes I was thinking about the Trinity Bridge... was the OP talking about the main bridge over the river in Enderby?