Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kyuquot, July 8th - 11th 2021  (Read 2973 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Kyuquot, July 8th - 11th 2021
« on: July 18, 2021, 08:12:54 PM »

We were in Kyuquot fishing with Dave Murphy once again earlier this month. The chinook salmon fishing was excellent. The first evening session was probably the fastest fishing I have experienced there so far. We managed to hook into 8 while trolling in 1.5 hours. This year's fish are also quite a bit bigger than last year, really fat!

The groundfish fishing was also great as usual. The daily quota of two halibut under 90cm this year meant fishing was a lot faster. Once we drew the fish after an hour or so, the bites were non-stop.

I took a few hundred photos and here are some of them. There will be four episodes coming out from this trip.

The last photo posted is DFO collecting samples from every salmon that was caught. I asked Marilyn to comment on this and here's what she provided.

"Murphy’s has a long history of sampling both for coded wire tag and DNA in collaboration with and under the umbrella of the Kyuquot Checleseht (Ka;’yu:’k’t’h’/Che:k’tles7et’h) First Nations local round table. 

Sampling from all of the local lodges and the KCFN fisheries has lead to a decades long database to support the Kyuquot Checleseht Round Table fisheries management plans. These plans have lead to some rebuilding of precious local wild stocks and key passing stocks of concern by time and area.  Collaborative fishing plans based on local traditional knowledge and science allow our fisheries to target more abundant harvestable stocks. In particular abundant US origin hatchery chinook and other WCVI hatchery origin chinook.

This collaboration of collecting and sharing of data has led to special relationships based on local first nations' values, respect, trust and long lasting friendships. Over the years thousands and thousands of samples have been collected.

In 2020 the collaboration turned its efforts towards community protection plans to eliminate the pandemic risks to the local community from lodges and visiting anglers. The leadership of the table developed plans that allowed the lodges to operate safely with the goal of eliminating all risks to the community. The 2021 pre season development was no different, it was through the local round table that the Kyuquot Family of lodges continued their commitment to protecting the local community and still do so today.

These efforts has brought us even closer together in remarkable ways."