Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking to add a fighting butt to an existing fly rod.  (Read 1147 times)

Riverman

• old fart
Looking to add a fighting butt to an existing fly rod.
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:41:04 AM »

Have great 10ft 6in custom made 6wt. It casts beautifully and is great to play fish on. The extra length cries out for fighting butt. Just my preference. I have nt really found a supplier in BC . Live in the Shuswap so pretty much by mail. Any suggestions? Planning to self install.
Riverman

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Looking to add a fighting butt to an existing fly rod.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 12:07:41 PM »

https://js-outdoors.com/adding-a-fighting-butt/

may give you some ideas. On some reel seats the end cap can be pried off. For an extension you can use a piece from a broken or old rod, even a cheap rod from Walmart etc. At worst a wooden dowel. If necessary add some rings of masking tape so it snugs inside the blank of your rod.

There are some experienced rod makers on this website - Dave B & Typhoon come to mind who could provide better info.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Riverman

• old fart
Re: Looking to add a fighting butt to an existing fly rod.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 01:53:37 PM »

Thanks a few ideas there. This has a cap so I am sure I can come up with something.
Riverman