Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Federal $647M funding outline for Pacific salmon restoration measures.  (Read 2058 times)

Parasoul

www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6057761

The 5-year program is being touted as the 'largest and most transformative' salmon investment in history.

Pacific Salmon Strategy will put money into four pillars: conservation and stewardship, hatcheries, harvest transformation and integrated management.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

So much money being dumped into a good cause. Did we run out of the 142M being contributed two years ago already? ;D

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ottawa-b-c-announce-142m-salmon-restoration-fund-to-rebuild-wild-stocks-1.4338626

CohoJake

• Old Timer

www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6057761

The 5-year program is being touted as the 'largest and most transformative' salmon investment in history.

Pacific Salmon Strategy will put money into four pillars: conservation and stewardship, hatcheries, harvest transformation and integrated management.

Does anyone know where the "two new hatcheries" are going to be sited?

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

So...$142M 2 years ago, $647M now - $789 Million.

If we go back 5-10 years, can we call it an even $1Billion?

Parasoul

I can't be cynical over any amount coming. Project money runs out quickly and into things we never see the hint of until later.

How much money did the canyon landslide cost and eat up? How much goes to research that pays later?

If I could get even a single hatchery enhancing a river, more school programs where they raise smolts, more habitat enrichment and restoration I'd be happy with the money spent.

The bar is set so low.

Old Blue

How much of that money is being spent in Ottawa and how much actually on improving things?

Pre-Trudeau 60% of DFO budget was spent outside of Ottawa, ever since it's close to 50% as per a family member who retired from the Government this year

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

This is simply more smoke, mirrors and pre-election vote pandering from the feds. Nothing more.

Obscure Federal Government Announcement of $647M for Salmon Recovery Raises Questions

Not a New Announcement

Interestingly, this is not a new announcement. It was originally covered thoroughly in an April 21, 2021 National Observer story written by Rochelle Baker. In spite of this apparent recycling of news, the Pacific Salmon Strategy Initiative is welcomed based on the general intent to restore salmon stocks that will support fisheries. The minister described it as a “single guiding force” and “a massive undertaking unlike anything before.” However, Minister Jordan’s announcement was short on details regarding how the money will be spent, who will spend it, and who will make those decisions. The announcement was wrapped in words like “cooperation and collaboration”. It also pointed to the creation of a new “arms-length advisory body,” as well as a “new Restoration Center of Expertise,” both undefined, while including an additional $100 million to beef up the BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund.

The Bad News

The problem is this: While the announcement said all the right things, it was woefully lacking in details. This concern was clearly expressed by the Sport Fishing Institute’s (SFI) Martin Paish (who is also chairman of the Fisheries Minister’s own Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB)), when he said, “Increased enhancement and linking that to more angling opportunities is good news. But the devil is in the details."

https://islandfishermanmagazine.com/obscure-federal-government-announcement-of-647m-for-salmon-recovery-raises-questions/

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Is hard to get excited about this announcement knowing there history.
If that money was put in the right hands id be excited but im afraid its going to get used up on studies and bafflegab.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry

Does anyone know where the "two new hatcheries" are going to be sited?

Not yet. I'd guess at least one will be in the Fraser watershed above the Big Bar slide. One of the best criticisms is that it's not clear what the money will be used for. We also don't know if it's new money or funds recycled from previous budget years. There also isn't a good handle on why salmon runs have declined so precipitously over the last 5 or 6 years. As always DFO talks about habitat improvements often because as even DFO says "It's what we know how to do." If you reads Hooton's column his best point is that there is still lots of very good habitat but there are not enough adult fish to repopulate it. I think near urban areas where most of us live you can see there is a lot of damaged and lost habitat but even just up the valley there is good habitat that needs wild adult fish to spawn there.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.