Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reporting your catch, an error?  (Read 2889 times)

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
Reporting your catch, an error?
« on: June 02, 2021, 11:35:43 AM »

A tidal fishing friend showed me a notice or letter from DFO that stated that he had done some fishing report but is incomplete and that he needs to complete reporting all days and all his catches. He said he has never filed a report before. He isn't even a salmon fisherman nor a non tidal fisherman, just doing bottom fishing in the ocean and some crabbing. So he is puzzled by the letter. Is this an error? What should he do? If he ignores it, will there be a fine? Thanks for any comment.

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Reporting your catch, an error?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 04:13:54 PM »

That's kind of weird. I wonder if it's regarding the iREC reporting program https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/irec-iarc/index-eng.html
Which would odd because the FAQ make no mention of mailing follow-up letters.     

There should be contact info on the letter for him to inquire with, or if it is iREC he could contact the following...     

Questions or concerns:

Contact DFO’s Sport Fishing Report team: DFO.SportFishingReport-RapportPecheSportive.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Or the iREC Reporting Program Manager at PRA Inc. at: SportFishingReport@pra.ca Tel: 1-888-877-6744

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 04:40:48 PM »

Was it an email or a physical letter? Can you post a photo of it (with personal details redacted)?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 05:34:55 PM »

That's kind of weird. I wonder if it's regarding the iREC reporting program https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/irec-iarc/index-eng.html

very possible it's the result of someone entering an incorrect License #
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Roderick

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 06:38:30 PM »

I had to fill out a fishing report on the DFO web site this year, detailing my tidal fishing for Apr. I think doing it is a condition of the licence (?).  It's pretty complicated and it's easy to leave things out.  If it wasn't completed properly, they will almost certainly send you an email telling you to finish it. 

I have no idea what happens next if you don't do it.
You shoulda been here yesterday.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 08:15:55 PM »

That's right! I remember now I had to do that once. It was easy... Q. Did you fish for finfish fish during the of month of February A: No.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

poper

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 10:14:32 PM »

I had the same thing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 10:37:19 PM »

It's a condition of buying a tidal licence.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 07:29:54 AM »

It's not a big deal. Licensees are selected randomly and if I remember he just has to report for the one month. He just has to do it to the best of his recollection.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 10:39:15 PM »

Just catch your limit, record it. Once limit is reached, go home and toss license in the trash. Print new replacement license and keep fishing.

All jokes aside, the paper license thing is a joke. Same goes for their online survey. It's all honor system based.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 05:43:00 AM »

Writing on that big sheet of printer paper in the rain is always fun as well.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 06:28:55 AM »

Just catch your limit, record it. Once limit is reached, go home and toss license in the trash. Print new replacement license and keep fishing.

All jokes aside, the paper license thing is a joke. Same goes for their online survey. It's all honor system based.

;D

I actually did not fish in tidal water that February. I don't much fish tidal water much at all. Some years I don't buy a license. I haven't this year as yet.