Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Canim lake fishing  (Read 4307 times)

maxkiddsbrodie

Canim lake fishing
« on: May 25, 2021, 06:41:07 PM »

Hello everyone, I am heading to canim lake in June, I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to use (lure, colour, etc). Also any good spots and what depth to go down? Thank you !!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Canim lake fishing
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 02:26:48 PM »

Depends what you're fishing for. For Lakers ( Canim lakes #1 sport fish ), the north side inflow creeks are a great place to start. I know it sounds like a generic thing to say but the north side does fish better. As far as depth goes, turn on the electronics. Lures, 4" to 5" plugs. Ive had luck with almost any color. I will say that it is a deep cold lake. I've fished it in June with little success. Chances are the Kokanee will be deep now. The Lakers will hang out underneath them.

maxkiddsbrodie

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 10:46:18 AM »

Thank you! And just wondering if you have any suggestions on the depth to go at or the depth you have had luck at ? Thanks!

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 08:16:53 PM »

Thank you! And just wondering if you have any suggestions on the depth to go at or the depth you have had luck at ? Thanks!

Just depends where the kokanee are. The kokanee In Canim are not the size for sport fishermen. They mainly serve as bait for the Char. If the Kokanee are at 50' set the ball at 55'. If the surface e water temp is lower than 45f or 7 degrees, chances are the Kokanee are deep. You could crank your gain on your electronics to 100% and see where the thermocline is. That should give you a clear indication where the Kokanee are. However if the surface e temperature is above 45f, set a wide beam on your chartplotter and scan for koanee higher in the water column. Just remeber that when fishing for Char, you're essentially scouting Kokanee. You'll end uo seeing BIG fish on the Chartplotter anyhow. Just comes down to water temp.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 01:05:48 PM »

Curious to know how you did at Canim lake

maxkiddsbrodie

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 01:12:27 PM »

Hello @hike_and_fish, my trip got delayed sadly, so I am going up July 3rd now. I will let you know how it went when I am back for sure

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 06:59:49 PM »

Hello @hike_and_fish, my trip got delayed sadly, so I am going up July 3rd now. I will let you know how it went when I am back for sure

Fishing will be better at that time anyhow. I don't know you're fishing situation. If you're downrigger fishing or fly fishing but check out Ruth lake. It's close by and the Kokanee fishing is solid.

maxkiddsbrodie

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 10:29:14 PM »

Awesome sounds good thanks, mainly going to be trying to jig and troll but just with dipsy divers. But I will check out Ruth as well.

Any good bait you recommend for jigging for lakers?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 10:01:56 PM »

Awesome sounds good thanks, mainly going to be trying to jig and troll but just with dipsy divers. But I will check out Ruth as well.

I've jigged for Bulls only but a char is a car IMO. Swimbaots work well. Anything aimed at Lingcod should do the trick.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 01:13:12 AM »

Haven’t watched all the videos, but you might glean something.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSWDMvtPz3f0DHODijWY2wy4_-f7qta3r

maxkiddsbrodie

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2021, 06:50:29 AM »

Thanks!

maxkiddsbrodie

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 07:15:37 AM »

Hey @hike_and_fish , I just realized I never ended up responding to you. I did make it up to canim last year but unfortunately the day we got there they banned boats from water as they wanted lake empty for helicopters to grab water. But, I am heading up this year July 10-21 and definitely going to do a lot of fishing so I’ll let you know how it goes.

redside1

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2022, 09:36:02 AM »

Hey @hike_and_fish , I just realized I never ended up responding to you. I did make it up to canim last year but unfortunately the day we got there they banned boats from water as they wanted lake empty for helicopters to grab water. But, I am heading up this year July 10-21 and definitely going to do a lot of fishing so I’ll let you know how it goes.

july 10-21 has already happened, so how did you do? great trip I hope

maxkiddsbrodie

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2022, 02:02:42 PM »

Sorry…… meant August 10-21.

If anyone has any other tips for wishing the lake please let me know !!

maxkiddsbrodie

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2022, 02:47:07 PM »

I am staying by Reynolds’s resort which I know is not the best fishing side but if anyone has and good spots for lakers around there please let me know!