Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Local fishing lakes good for kids?  (Read 2758 times)

mk1freak

Local fishing lakes good for kids?
« on: May 21, 2021, 06:01:50 PM »

Hey guys,

Plan on taking my twin boys (14yo) out for some trout fishing locally and was wondering who's been out where and how busy it was recently. I wanted to day trip out to Hicks (still within the health authority) but i can imagine all the people out there already uuughhh. I was considering Green Timbers but again lots of people walking the trail by the lake and parking sucks when its busy hahaha.

Anyways any suggestions would be appreciated as we'd be going during the mid week (more to avoid the rush of people enjoying the outdoors).

Also i'd consider paid local guided day trips into less populated areas, if the cost was decent (and they're open).

Thanks,
Len
Me:  I have a fever
Boss:  Ok take the day off!
Me:  Thank god i'm the boss! ;)

colin6101

Re: Local fishing lakes good for kids?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2021, 08:04:57 PM »

Do you have a boat or are you shore fishing? What type of vehicle do you drive (can open up 4x4 lakes as an option). I took my kid out to Albert Dyck park the other day and caught lots of small bass and sunfish but if he was older I'm sure we would have went elsewhere.

mk1freak

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 09:04:21 PM »

hey colin thanks for the reply.
We don't have a boat and will shore fish. I have an acura sedan , even though it's awd unfortunately there will be no 4x4 access....sigh.
Me:  I have a fever
Boss:  Ok take the day off!
Me:  Thank god i'm the boss! ;)

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 08:37:46 AM »

Mill lake in Abbotsford has a nice fishing dock with hand rails around it. Safe for kids to fish from and recently stocked by Go Fish B.C with catchable size rainbows.

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 09:38:06 AM »

Lafarge? The whole west shore is accessible from the walking path, but far enough away for plenty of social distancing.

Also the highest stocked urban lake around here.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 11:18:41 AM »

Whonnock and Mike have docks you can fish from. I think Buntzen does as well. Some lakes have shore fishing and it can be fun bushwhacking the shoreline to find spots.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

colin6101

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 11:38:51 AM »

You can fish Rolley lake from shore too if you're in that area, there is a trail around the whole lake with a few access spots. If you do end up fishing in Sasquatch park I have always done better fishing Deer lake from shore (walk around to the far end of the lake where the streams come in).

Abedc

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 05:09:22 PM »

Whonnock and Mike have docks you can fish from. I think Buntzen does as well. Some lakes have shore fishing and it can be fun bushwhacking the shoreline to find spots.

Buntzen dock was closed when I went this weekend unfortunately (24th) no fishing from dock, or getting on the dock

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 09:27:04 PM »

Best place to go with kids is a trout farm. Lake fishing can be slow at times but a farm will produce nonstop bites and hooked fish by the bucket load. That where I take my two kids. Best ti save the harder fishing lakes for when they're older IMO

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 12:42:02 PM »

All the stocked lakes will be busy evenings and weekends.

Last time I was at hicks, 2 weeks after stocking, people with kids were catching shed loads off the rocks to the right of the launch (usually with power bait on a sinker).  Should be good mid week.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 07:57:47 PM »

If you aren't partial to trout, there are a number waterbodies with invasive largemouth bass, pumpkinseed sunfish, even crappie, that are kid friendly, fishable from shore, and it doesn't get any more technical than a bobber and worm.