Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the Ambleside Park area closed for fishing or just fish retention?  (Read 3068 times)

Gato

I've never fished in this area of the Capilano, so I was looking forward to wetting my line there. However, when I looked at the 'restrictions' in the DFO site, it says that "Finfish for 28-8 is Closed." Does this mean that this area is closed for fishing any type of fish (including salmon)? Or does it mean that I can still fish there, but the area is closed for retention of any type of fish (including salmon)? Sorry for the confusion. I'm a fairly new to tidal fishing.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Ambleside area is open

Roderick

Look at the area map for area 28.  Ambleside is 28-9. Clicking the "salmon" tab at the top says that hatchery coho, pink, and chum are currently open.  Clicking the "other finfish" tab shows rockfish and lingcod are closed for all of area 28, among other things.  28-8 is actually English Bay which is closed for hatchery coho till the end of the month. 

The area map also shows the protected areas like the glass reefs (no crabbing or prawning) and rockfish conservation areas (no fishing for finfish). 
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Gato

Ambleside area is open

This is good to hear. I went there today to scout the location and didn't see anyone fishing near the bridge.

Gato

Look at the area map for area 28.  Ambleside is 28-9. Clicking the "salmon" tab at the top says that hatchery coho, pink, and chum are currently open.  Clicking the "other finfish" tab shows rockfish and lingcod are closed for all of area 28, among other things.  28-8 is actually English Bay which is closed for hatchery coho till the end of the month. 

The area map also shows the protected areas like the glass reefs (no crabbing or prawning) and rockfish conservation areas (no fishing for finfish).

Thanks for this clarification! I went for a long a walk to Ambleside today just to check it out. On the way back, I walked along the Stanley Park seawall from prospect point. If you don't mind me asking, is it possible to fish along the seawall on Stanley Park or are there regulations against it? I was checking out the area near the Lions Gate bridge on the Stanley Park side and was wondering if there was a reason not to fish there. Maybe toxic fish?

Old Blue

Closed along Stanley Park.  Try from the mouth of the Cap at low tide

Easywater

• Old Timer

If you go at a decent low tide, there is bar way out at Ambleside that is accessible for an hour or two (I forget exactly how long).
There is a specialized spinner that is used there that works very well.

It's been probably 10 years since I fished there but it was a great experience with the views, etc.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Thanks for this clarification! I went for a long a walk to Ambleside today just to check it out. On the way back, I walked along the Stanley Park seawall from prospect point. If you don't mind me asking, is it possible to fish along the seawall on Stanley Park or are there regulations against it? I was checking out the area near the Lions Gate bridge on the Stanley Park side and was wondering if there was a reason not to fish there. Maybe toxic fish?

There used to be and maybe still is one of the largest Pacific Octopus that lives by the Lions Gate bridge.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.

BUZZ BOMB

iblly

• Old Timer

I watched a seal eat a big octopus just off the sea wall years ago.