Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Internet Censorship  (Read 7123 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Internet Censorship
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 09:00:59 PM »

Here's another Big Tech issue that C-10 should address - fake business reviews and worse fake reviews for money. It's fraud, it's harmful but there is no law that lets the Police or other enforcement agency control it:

"The environment is such that cheating, faking reviews is actually rewarded and honest businesses actually suffer tremendously from it," said Kay Dean, a former fraud investigator with the U.S. department of education. "I would argue millions of consumers are being duped and deceived and honest businesses are being clobbered in the current environment."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/fake-reviews-on-google-1.6033859

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 06:41:20 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 03:43:44 PM »

Fourteen Newspapers ran with various versions of this same letter yesterday:

Getting it yet Ralphie?

Wondering...
Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 05:51:57 PM »

Yeah but do you? Do you read more than 3 sentences from the articles you post? These are consistent with some of the stuff I posted above. Let's see if the Trudeau  Gov't follows up on it's promise not regulate personal content.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2021, 10:00:01 AM »

... Let's see if the Trudeau  Gov't follows up on it's promise not regulate personal content.

Given that they shut down any and all debate on the matter, then slammed through numerous "amendments" without even bothering to have them read to parliament, I wouldn't be holding my breath...

Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 11:57:58 AM »

Again I ask; Do you actually read the content you post?

Did you notice sections such as :

"so shocking is the inaction of your government"

" This isn’t just a Canadian problem. Google and Facebook are using their monopoly powers in the same way throughout the world — choking off journalism from the financial resources it needs to survive."

"Prime Minister, need to keep your word: to introduce legislation to break the Google/Facebook stranglehold on news before the summer recess. It’s about political will — and promised action."

this letter is urging the Trudeau government to get on with it and pass C-10 within weeks.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2021, 04:36:36 PM »

House passes Bill C-10 while senators of  the Independent Senators Group (ISG) vow it faces changes and amendments in the Senate and may not pass before summer recess:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-mps-pass-bill-c-10-sending-controversial-broadcasting-act-legislation/

... and who created the ISG after Harper campaigned on an independent Senate but gave the country the same old patronage senate featuring people like Mike Duffy, Patrick Brazeau, Pamela Wallin and Lynn Beyak (who defended the residential school system)?

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2015/08/27/news/why-harper-corrupted-senate

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 02:24:11 PM »

The bottom line on the latest Senate maneuvers: "Bill C-10 received second reading from Senator Dennis Dawson, followed by a pair of speeches on the bill from Senators Tony Loffreda and Paula Simons. Everyone agreed that the bill requires significant study and should not be rubber-stamped.

"The speeches are likely to continue on Monday, after which the bill will be sent to committee. Given that the committee does not meet in the summer, an election call in the fall would kill Bill C-10."

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2021, 11:33:53 AM »

"Canada shouldn’t turn away from the difficult task of regulating online speech"

says Taylor Owen, Director of the Centre for Media, Technology and Democracy at McGill University in an Opinion Piece published in the Globe and Mail Saturday:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-canada-shouldnt-turn-away-from-the-difficult-task-of-regulating-online/

while Owen makes the argument for regulation he is also critical of the Federal Liberal Government's handling of Bill C-10. He also discusses the use of internet regulation by "illiberal" countries as a way of suppressing free speech   that should be reasonable within anything that could be described as a democracy.

excerpts:

At its core, the problem these laws all seek to address is relatively straightforward: There are a lot of awful things on the internet. And while some of this is a result of there being lots of awful people, the problem is magnified by the very way social-media platforms are designed. The problem of online hate is a difference in kind, not just degree.

By deciding who is seen and heard, by shaping what we read and watch, and by controlling the means of collective action, social-media platforms don’t just facilitate free speech, they shape the character of it. And as such, they bear some responsibility for the ensuing harms.

What’s more, because these companies now look and behave like traditional monopolists, they have little incentive to self-regulate. So citizens are left with little choice other than to accept the harms embedded in the system. Put simply, the free market has failed.

Those of us lucky enough to live in democratic societies have a responsibility to show how online speech can be governed in a manner that both minimizes harm and prioritizes and reinforces core democratic principles.

It is undeniable that social-media platforms increasingly govern like states, some more responsibly than others. But they invariably do so in a manner driven by private rather than public interests, without the norms and institutions of democratic accountability we have rightly placed on our governments. And this has come at a significant cost.

the question of how we govern online speech will rightly spark important and heated debates, doing it in a manner that prioritizes free expression and accountability will make the internet more democratic, not less.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2021, 04:32:16 PM »

Trudeau's censorship bill FAILS to pass through Senate

MP Pierre Poilievre (PC-Carleton) released a video Saturday where he announced that Bill C-10, the controversial bill that would have regulated Canadians' content online, has failed to pass through the Senate before summer break.

https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-trudeaus-censorship-bill-fails-to-pass-through-senate/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2021, 10:42:26 AM »

The Senate rose for the summer on June 30th. It took Mighty Mouse Poilievre 3 days to produce the video? ::)

BTW the way I appreciate your attribution of his HOC riding. Just as if you'd done a paste and copy from a CPC briefing sheet. What a weird coincidence!

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:54:21 AM by RalphH »