Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sizing beads for euro style nymphing  (Read 3694 times)

Preliator

Sizing beads for euro style nymphing
« on: April 28, 2021, 10:22:06 PM »

I’m curious as to what the largest bead/hook size combination you use is, and just generally what your strategies are for your most heavily weighted nymphs when you need to get down.

The commercially available nymphs are usually lighter as they’re fished in places where you can use multi-fly rigs, in addition to perhaps not being fished in flows as fast or as deep as we have out here.

Clint Goyette of Valley Fishing Guides in Squamish has a couple of YT videos where he ties patterns in size 14 with a 3.8mm bead, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone going heavier than a 4mm bead.

Thoughts? I’m looking to start tying my own and could use some suggestions. Right now my strategy is simply to pair the commercially available flies with split shot either on the leader, or in a drop shot rig. I’m not oppose to using shot, I just want to also have appropriately weighted flies for our streams.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Sizing beads for euro style nymphing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 06:59:16 PM »

From what I have seen of Euro-nymph patterns it's however big a bead  you can stick on the front of the hook without it sliding off the front. Be sure to use tungsten beads. This style of nymphing and tying evolved for competition angling where weighting the leader is prohibited. There are few waters in BC that ban the use of external weights. They sink more efficiently & may let the fly behave more naturally.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Preliator

Re: Sizing beads for euro style nymphing
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 04:07:53 PM »

Thanks for the tips, Ralph!