Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kawkawa in hope  (Read 6663 times)

bobby b

Re: Kawkawa in hope
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2021, 08:01:35 PM »

It's not about enforcement. It never really was, it's about trying to keep the virus from spreading to cities that are incapable of handling an outbreak right now. Stay within the health region as defined by the health authority right now unless it's essential to do otherwise and then hopefully we can fish everywhere this summer/fall.

!00%

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 06:05:23 PM »

It's not about enforcement. It never really was, it's about trying to keep the virus from spreading to cities that are incapable of handling an outbreak right now. Stay within the health region as defined by the health authority right now unless it's essential to do otherwise and then hopefully we can fish everywhere this summer/fall.

Right on brother! Hopefully that starts tomorrow!!! Sorry we'll miss you on the June trip...

alindsey

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2021, 09:13:56 PM »

Went today to jig for them with small spoons and 2" buzzbombs.  Went on the northern side where the drop off is steeper. No fishfinder. No luck. I'm a terrible fisherman

colin6101

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2021, 10:06:38 PM »

You're not a terrible fisherman but it's very tough to jig for them without a finder. I would troll around if I didn't have the use of electronics for kokanee.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2021, 08:17:23 AM »

Went today to jig for them with small spoons and 2" buzzbombs.  Went on the northern side where the drop off is steeper. No fishfinder. No luck. I'm a terrible fisherman

I just picked up a new fishfinder and is amazing how many features it has for a $150.00 unit.
Even has GPS.

Garmin Stryker 4

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2021, 12:51:33 PM »

I just picked up a new fishfinder and is amazing how many features it has for a $150.00 unit.
Even has GPS.

Garmin Stryker 4

I have 2 of these units to use on my assorted boats and they are amazing for the price.

alindsey

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2021, 04:47:32 PM »

I have 2 of these units to use on my assorted boats and they are amazing for the price.
Even has GPS.

Garmin Stryker 4

@CohoJake and @firstlight - are they good at picking up fish?

I talked to someone at a local shop and they said they're only good for identifying structure and maybe bait balls, but won't do to good at picking up individual fish. Can the Garmin Striker 4 pick up fish in the 10 inch range at 40 - 60 ft depth? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm very very new to lake fishing.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 07:46:30 PM by alindsey »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2021, 06:36:11 AM »

@CohoJake and @firstlight - are they good at picking up fish?

I talked to someone at a local shop and they said they're only good for identifying structure and maybe bait balls, but won't do to good at picking up individual fish. Can the Garmin Striker 4 pick up fish in the 10 inch range at 40 - 60 ft depth? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm very very new to lake fishing.

Yes, I use it for trout and kokanee all the time, and the kokanee are on the small size where I am.  Kokanee look like an arch on the display. I fish 70 feet of water and can see them from the surface to the bottom. The only time the display is unclear is when fishing shallow water with lots of weeds.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2021, 07:46:58 AM »

Apparently Kokanee have huge swim bladders. All I know is that they light up my Humminbird like a Christmas tree. Even small fish (Alouette) are really easy to distinguish.