Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CBC Firearms "expert" get his my friend handed to him  (Read 3196 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
CBC Firearms "expert" get his my friend handed to him
« on: March 10, 2021, 02:14:35 PM »

CBC, in their usual scramble to support anything Trudeau, invited a so-called 'expert" on firearms to discuss the situation in Canada. Spoiler alert - he is from the UK, and has zero concept regarding Canadian Laws. And... he basically got destroyed.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-4-bc-today/clip/15824989-federal-government-gun-buyback-program.-first-nations-vaccination

Unfortunately he represents the mindset of the uninformed masses screaming their opinions on a matter they have no understanding of whatsoever...

Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: CBC Firearms "expert" get his my friend handed to him
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 09:16:18 AM »

Rob Gordon, has been a professor in the Criminology and Applied Law for many years. He was also a Dean at SFU for 5 years. He is originally from the Uk and received his Bachelors there but did his Master at SFU and Phd at UBC. Like you I.N. he may have come to Canada from another country but has been here and a member of the community for an extended number of years. If anyone googles his name you'll find his varied background includes research in local gangs and his name often appears in media stories on related crime issues that go back over 10 years.

Crazy thing in the CBC broadcast Gordon in many ways agrees that the ban on assault style guns will have a limited effect on gun crime in Canada. He states most of the illegal weapons come in across the US border. He made a few comments about ammunition that one or two callers took considerable exception they have a point. Point he is likely one of the few "experts" (using the term loosely) willing to comment publicly in that sort of forum given the vitriolic response that usually results.

Cheers.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 10:15:53 AM »

... Point he is likely one of the few "experts" (using the term loosely) willing to comment publicly in that sort of forum given the vitriolic response that usually results.

I well understand professor Gordon's background and credentials.
However if you take the time to actually listen to his comments in the interview above, it is quite apparent he does those accreditations poor justice. He was entirely uninformed on much of what he spoke. Just one case in point: No, it is not legal for handgun owners to wander around cities with them in their pockets. Anyone purporting to be an "expert" should have a much better handle on the situation than he apparently does.

As such, the response he has faced since was warranted IMO.

Cheers,
Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 10:47:56 AM »

I did listen to it. He actually spoke very little and most of the time was taken up by the Michelle Eliot the host and the call in listeners. There were some good points particularly from the person who had worked in ERs and never seen an ER patient with a long gun bullet wound. I think your criticisms of Gordon are moslty invalid and you are contradicting yourself as you previously alleged

he is from the UK, and has zero concept regarding Canadian Laws. And... he basically got destroyed.

You are from the US originally and have often demonstrated a lack of knowledge about Canadian law and. I guess most readers here should ignore you as well. Likewise his "getting destroyed", that's a matter of opinion, specifically yours.

Cheers!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 11:00:22 AM »

... You are from the US originally and have often demonstrated a lack of knowledge about Canadian law

Nice.
You may have missed the part wherein I studied both Wildlife and Criminal Law rather extensively (in Canada btw) and worked both for Alberta Fish & Wildlife and National Parks as a Warden. Might say I likely  have a little better handle on that than say you do Ralphie Ol' Chap.

Lovely way to shoot at the messenger again though.
One of your tried and true responses that can always be counted upon.

Carry on. At least your mumblings are somewhat entertaining.

Cheers,
Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 04:28:05 PM »

Well I have had similar background at least in working 20+ years in the justice sector, Crown Attorney and NGO law firms. The issue is what you say not infrequently doesn't correspond with laws and legal practice  as they have evolved over the last 30 years or more or even with some items as existed since the country was formed. Turning to Ad Hominem attacks on a person with credentials far exceeding the both of us, based on his accent and his place of birth is what the problem is as I see it and why you lack credibility as an advocate.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 05:35:45 PM »

... Turning to Ad Hominem attacks on a person with credentials far exceeding the both of us, based on his accent and his place of birth is what the problem is as I see it and why you lack credibility as an advocate.

Nice try Ol' Chap.
If you look back you will realize that while I did slight him on his country of origin, that was simply to point out the fact that he basically NO understanding of current (or past for that matter) firearm laws in Canada. That is more than apparent from his own words. Citing anyone with such a lack of basic knowledge / understanding as an "expert" is beyond ludicrous. Not ad hominem as you suggest whatsoever.

In your haste to attempt to take me to task on anything I post, you often wander outside the bounds of reality Ralphie. I can indeed understand why many do not consider you much of an "expert" or advocate for much of what you like to opine on as a consequence.

Have a wonderful evening though...

Cheers,
Nog