Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: North of the Fraser  (Read 5621 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
North of the Fraser
« on: October 29, 2020, 01:34:53 PM »

As the reports from the Chilliwack coho numbers are on the wane though I'd point out now is the time to fish the north side tributaries. The Alouette, Kanaka, Stave, Nicomen/Dewdney, Norrish Creek, the Harrison and the Chehalis all offer retention of hatchery fish and some smaller lesser known tribs have small to modest numbers of wild fish.

I was out Tuesday and Wednesday, hooked 9, landed 7 5 of which were hatchery fish in the 4.5 to 7lbs range. Not a lot fish around where I was but I found a restless school of fresh fish. Once I realized what was in front of me I hooked and landed 5 fish in less than an hour and one later in the day. A return the next morning brought 3 hooked, 2 lost but the landed fish was a 7lb hatch doe.

Evidence:

note my toes in the 2nd photo.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 02:50:29 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ja

Re: North of the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 05:46:07 PM »

Thanks for the report Ralph. Very nice fish!

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 06:51:35 PM »

Just curious what flow u were on. Some have only 2 retention limit. If north shore and grassy I think it may only be 2 fish. Apologies if I am wrong.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 07:55:03 PM »

No the limit is 4 hatchery fish.

I fly fish maybe 85% of the time and these fish were caught on a home made spinner so I am not a purist. I can even chuck spinners on fly tackle - but not for these. Maybe I'll post a pic tomorrow. I've listed my favorite coho flies a few times.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 08:05:17 PM »

Well done, Ralph. The bottom fish is a dandy

and some smaller lesser known tribs have small to modest numbers of wild fish.

This year, I just noticed the wording in the regulations that you are not allowed to fish the lesser known tribs that do not have hatchery enhancement and only have wild fish. It may have been in the regs previously, I just noticed it this year

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html "There is no fishing for salmon in Region 2 except for the opportunities listed in the table below"

And in FN0789 this wording "There is no fishing for salmon in any of the rivers or tributaries that flow into the Fraser River except in those areas during the time periods provided above"

It's (was) a joy to stalk and C&R wild coho on these small streams. Little or no angling pressure cuz of the lack of retention keeps the meat eaters at bay, so you can have the run of place to tease out aggressive, unfished coho.

I get the regulation. To prevent poaching and the inevitable C&R mortality, these small runs of wild coho need to be protected.  Now I'll just have to fish for cutthroat and hope for a coho as a bonus.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 07:43:23 AM »

I hadn't noticed that phrase was back...it has appeared and disappeared regularly over the last couple of decades leading to many arguments among anglers.

The Region 1 table says: "Unless otherwise stated in the table below, the daily limit for all waters in Region 1 is zero (0)." which I think had been the wording we have had in Region 2 for several years. Infact this applies primarily to regions that include the Fraser Watershed (2, 3 & 5A). No matter.

Unfortunately for the intention of the regulation coho will take much the same lures and flies as cutthroat. Coho are usually more numerous than the trout and more endangered. I wish they'd get their stuff together and protect the trout with bait bans and longer closed periods.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:36:08 AM by RalphH »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 12:06:09 PM »

No the limit is 4 hatchery fish.

I fly fish maybe 85% of the time and these fish were caught on a home made spinner so I am not a purist. Maybe I'll post a pic tomorrow.

photo of the spinner: gold French blade marked as #4 but pretty much the same size as on a Blue Fox #3

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 04:58:09 PM »

It’s wrong to tie a egg pattern into the hook of a spinner.

You need to pick one style of fishing and stick with it. You can’t smoosh ‘em all together!😀

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 12:26:01 PM »

Very nice! Stratocaster and I were conversing with some anglers out that way and they stated two very concerning things:

1. Chehalis hatchery is permanently closing. So there will be no more coho run in the future for that system.
2. Inch Creek hatchery is closing and not collecting coho for this year, meaning no coho return in 3 years.

Does anyone know if the above is true? I am unable to find any definitive information online about this. I hope this is just gossip!

mikeyman

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 10:05:49 PM »

I don't think they are closing. Just closed to public due to covid.