Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I've Started Another Blog... Catalogue and Conquer - Winter 2020  (Read 10408 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: I've Started Another Blog... Catalogue and Conquer - Winter 2020
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 05:22:49 PM »

I know we're well past the end of winter steelhead season now, and that I've started these relatively late, but here's another one (with likely 10 more or so to come). Hopefully everyone is enjoying the reads rather than watching all the news on covid. Enjoy Part 10!

Catalogue and Conquer - Part X - Deja Vu/

Snagly

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 02:14:30 AM »

That silver-gold 2/3 oz R&B spoon is money in clear, cold water.

Keep those write-ups coming!

I like what you've done with your nails, too.
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2020, 03:57:28 PM »

Another new one. Enjoy the read!

Catalogue and Conquer - Part XI - A Long Wait

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2020, 04:52:53 PM »

Glad to see the rod is working for Kitty :) That is a stunning photograph Dan!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 08:54:21 AM »

Glad to see the rod is working for Kitty :) That is a stunning photograph Dan!

The rod is fantastic Dave! The 8 wt is definitely suited best for steelhead in the faster water or bigger water. Still is as light in hand as the 7 wt, but way more power.

You did a fantastic job on the build. Everyone who's seen it really likes it. Thanks in regards to the photo, turned out exactly how I wanted.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 09:50:30 PM »

Every Day

• Old Timer

Snagly

Great read. Couple of questions on how you rig your worms
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 03:57:28 AM »

I see from that chromer photo that you've rigged your 4" worms with the hook at the bottom, but flipped the worm so it's head down. Is this the "only" way you fish them, or do you mix it up?

In the article, you mention you've gone to circle hooks exclusively. Can you tell us a big more [brand(s) and size(s)] and how your hook-up and/or landing ratios have changed since giving up J-hooks? (I'm hoping the answer is "Not very much" as I have about 100 pre-rigged worms with #1 Gamis and Owners, and really don't want to change them all.)

Nice story, again. If I didn't know better, I'd guess you were fishing VI of thirty years ago.

Beautiful cork on that custom pin rod, BTW.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:30:09 AM by Snagly »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 10:43:55 PM »

I see from that chromer photo that you've rigged your 4" worms with the hook at the bottom, but flipped the worm so it's head down. Is this the "only" way you fish them, or do you mix it up?

In the article, you mention you've gone to circle hooks exclusively. Can you tell us a big more [brand(s) and size(s)] and how your hook-up and/or landing ratios have changed since giving up J-hooks? (I'm hoping the answer is "Not very much" as I have about 100 pre-rigged worms with #1 Gamis and Owners, and really don't want to change them all.)

Nice story, again. If I didn't know better, I'd guess you were fishing VI of thirty years ago.

Beautiful cork on that customer pin rod, BTW.

Personally, I always fish worms head down now. Back when I used to experiment, I always found the head down out fished tail down. It makes sense, as head down creates a lot more movement.

I've gone to circle hooks on 4 inch worms, trout beads,  and roe bags (when fishing bait is allowed). Circles don't work well with 6 inch worms or roe chunk in my experience,  but with beads and 4 inch worms they make a world of difference. On the worms I use a size 1 gammy, on beads I use a size 4.

With circle hooks, I hook up at least 50% more fish on beads, and my landing rate is typically about 90% overall now as a whole (worms/ beads/ bags). In a good year with standard hooks I sit around 75% landing rate, bad years 60%.

The rod is definitely beautiful. Another wonderful Dave Barnes build!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 10:51:40 PM »

I should also mention that I dabbled a lot with circles on spoons. I found that on early season fish or summer runs,  they worked extremely well. They also work very well on browns and bulls. Any fish that hit hard and turn with it really. The key is they need to turn.

On picky late season fish, or when I'm not fishing metal on the swing (as in twitching them, rolling them, or retrieving them) I'll stick with sickle style. You tend to miss fish a lot on circles when they are just nipping it/ swiping it/ mouthing it.

Snagly

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 12:43:01 AM »

Those are crazy high hookup and landing rates on beads. How far up are you pegging your bead? (I'm a 1" - 1 1/4" incher myself.) My theory on beads is that the fish are sucking them in (inhaling), tasting and spitting (exhaling) in one or two breathing cycles lasting 2 seconds tops. The pegged bead is in their mouths (the hook as well, or just outside) and they turn their head to taste/spit, on the way out, the combination of the turned head and the fisherman beginning his hookset causes the hook to embed just inside/outside the jaw. (Or the fish hooks itself on the turn.) You do much more sight fishing than I. I'd be very interested in what you actually see as opposed to what I think happens.

And just to be clear, you aren't setting when fishing the circle hooks: you're just reeling up tight? (This is why I couldn't fish circle hooks on spoons. I've got 30 years experience in slamming the rod back every time I feel a strike (or some other disturbance in the Force).

Finally, a #4 Gami octopus can be a tiny creature depending on the style you select. Can you provide a product number for that critter?

As always, tight lines and skinned palms!

redside1

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 09:51:01 AM »

Personally, I always fish worms head down now. Back when I used to experiment, I always found the head down out fished tail down. It makes sense, as head down creates a lot more movement.

if you were old enough to have fished way back in the day when you could fish a rig with multiple hooks, you have known this was the deal.
At one time a common rubber worm rig was fished heads up with your hooks tied in tandem with a hook on the head and one closer to the tail. A pair of 2/0 or 3/0 Mustad 92553 or 92554 were commonly fished back then since there was no Owner or Gamakatsu or even Eagle Claw Lazer sharps in the market place.
Many more times than not when you landed a steelhead the top hook in the head of the rubber worm was in the mouth and the tail hook was hanging outside just flapping around.
I have fished this way ever since the province made it "single barbless hook back in the 1980's   
I don't think the comment on head down creates more movement is really a driving factor. In gin clear slow water the rubber worm doesn't appear to wiggle around much at all.
At least from my observation over the years.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2020, 01:39:14 PM »

Those are crazy high hookup and landing rates on beads. How far up are you pegging your bead? (I'm a 1" - 1 1/4" incher myself.) My theory on beads is that the fish are sucking them in (inhaling), tasting and spitting (exhaling) in one or two breathing cycles lasting 2 seconds tops. The pegged bead is in their mouths (the hook as well, or just outside) and they turn their head to taste/spit, on the way out, the combination of the turned head and the fisherman beginning his hookset causes the hook to embed just inside/outside the jaw. (Or the fish hooks itself on the turn.) You do much more sight fishing than I. I'd be very interested in what you actually see as opposed to what I think happens.

And just to be clear, you aren't setting when fishing the circle hooks: you're just reeling up tight? (This is why I couldn't fish circle hooks on spoons. I've got 30 years experience in slamming the rod back every time I feel a strike (or some other disturbance in the Force).

Finally, a #4 Gami octopus can be a tiny creature depending on the style you select. Can you provide a product number for that critter?

As always, tight lines and skinned palms!

I actually only fish my beads sliding with the circle hooks. I found pegged missed a lot more,  and sliding seems to let the bead ride more naturally, especially if you're rolling it along bottom. There's no worry about deep hooking fish with the circles.

As for hook set, I just reel down until I feel weight and then set as normal. Seems to work for me. I find the key is you do need to reel down first to get it to turn into place. If you just set fast you can definitely miss them. I find most are hooked up and running by the time I do a hook set though.

Your observations for them eating beads is correct. Every time I've watched them eat it,  they swim over and just suck em in/ mouth them, give it a couple chomps, and then eject it. A lot of the time,  the movement on your float is actually as they let it go/toss it, and your hook kind of briefly catches them and bobbles your float. It's another +1 for the circle as it tends to at least make contact without you doing anything and gives you a chance on the light biters.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2020, 03:02:24 PM »

I don't think the comment on head down creates more movement is really a driving factor. In gin clear slow water the rubber worm doesn't appear to wiggle around much at all.

So you think that they just attack the head based on past observations? Whatever the case, I do seem to get more bites from head down! Thanks for sharing that - I never even knew tandem hooks were ever allowed in B.C. Freshwater.

As for the comment on movement, I tend to use really soft plastic worms, or rig them so that well over half the worm is free moving off the line. Even just holding it, it wiggles. It's exceptionally rare that I fish worms in slow, flat water. Almost everywhere I fish them is turbulent, choppy, or fast. I feel with the worm tail "sagging" up above, any float movement or current swirls will bounce that tail around. Rigged the other way there's nothing for water to push against. Very likely over thinking it, but it works for me!

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2020, 08:55:19 PM »

So you think that they just attack the head based on past observations? Whatever the case, I do seem to get more bites from head down! Thanks for sharing that - I never even knew tandem hooks were ever allowed in B.C. Freshwater.

As for the comment on movement, I tend to use really soft plastic worms, or rig them so that well over half the worm is free moving off the line. Even just holding it, it wiggles. It's exceptionally rare that I fish worms in slow, flat water. Almost everywhere I fish them is turbulent, choppy, or fast. I feel with the worm tail "sagging" up above, any float movement or current swirls will bounce that tail around. Rigged the other way there's nothing for water to push against. Very likely over thinking it, but it works for me!

Do you think the plastic smell repels fish? I tried Powerbait worm. no luck so far. the other worm smells strongly.