Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2019-2020 NHL Hockey season  (Read 166117 times)

arimaBOATER

Re: 2019-2020 NHL Hockey season
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 09:04:15 PM »

Congrads TNA on a big W.
Nick Bonino ex Canuck gets a HT & only player on Preds to pot in goals for a 3-0 win over Chicago.
Your aged goalie is stopping the puck. Shutout.
Crazy baseball series has visitors more relaxed playing away.
3 wins for Nationals are played in Houston & the 3 Astro wins are in Washington DC.
Game 7 in Texas tomorrow.
Hockey teams can be like that. Some play better away than at home. Preds & Canucks have good home records so far.
Caps beat Leafs in OT.
Fire the coach.
FA I bet the attendance is very good in Nashville. Team is exciting & lots of people moving into that city.
Where as Memphis each yr there's less population.
TNA will give you the facts as my view is an assumption.

TNAngler

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »

We have sold out every game for something like 3 years straight.  Haven't heard the number recently but it is likely around 150 games in a row.  There is a waiting list for season tickets.  They hold back some tickets for single game tickets but those are usually gone within a couple hours of going on sale.  You can buy tickets on the secondary market so you can still go to the game but the stadium is packed most nights.  There has been one game this week where it was only 3/4 full maybe but we had a huge thunderstorm happening, one of the main interstates into town was shut down, and it was a Tuesday game, so all together it was understandable that some people decided to just stay home for it.

Game last night was a lot of fun as well.  Our best scorer is still not playing but he is close.  We got Duchene back which was good.  He makes our powerplay so much more effective.  They get him down below the goal, pass it to him from the side wall and he does a quick turn and fires it to a guy in the crease right in front of the net who unloads on it.  Goalie has to be perfectly positioned and lucky to make the stop if the defense isn't on the guy.  The problem is, the way to solve that is to sink in and condense the defense but that opens up the other side winger (who is our best scorer if he is not hurt) to take a pretty wide open shot.  Very tough to guard both but with our best scorer out, they don't have to worry about that side shot as much.  Duchene is a master of puck control and being left handed makes him able to make passes from below that a right hander couldn't.  It is very fun to watch.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2019, 11:48:19 PM »

TNA wow sounds like yous get some powerful thunder storms.
In Vancouver area we may get a major thunder/lightning storm every 3-5 yrs. Like as in one lightning / thunder very 3-5 yrs.  We get the odd small one but hardly notice it.
Good tricky power play. Described well.
FA & I & other Canuck fans are liking our 5-3 W in LA.
Markstrom played well.
Miller could of got 2-3 goals but was stopped.
Our top line was hot tonight.
Flames are your next opponents. See if yous can still get 4-5-6 goals & keep the puck out of the net.
Sports can be so crazy....Astros lost 4 home games. Lose 4-3 in games to Nationals ( past Montreal Expos ) guess Gary Carter ex- Expo NY Met was taking in the game from cloud 9.
Go so far only to lose....but for the champs winning is sweet.
Just ask the Boston Bruins. They still have scars & open wounds  ;D

TNAngler

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2019, 08:19:04 AM »

We do get some strong thunderstorms.  When my parents visited, they always enjoyed getting a good thunderstorm.  This time of year, one a week is not unheard of.  Sometimes we will go a couple weeks without but then get a couple in a single week.  Most are just good rumblings with lots of rain but sometimes there are tornadoes included too which get pretty scary sometimes.  We don't generally have them too near our house although a year or two ago we did have one that touched down about a mile or so from our house but it wasn't terribly strong.

On Monday we play the Red Wings at 4:30 your time.  Schedule says it will be on ESPN+.  Not sure if that is a channel you can watch if you wanted to catch a game.  That doesn't make it on TV here but you might be lucky.  Also, we play at 11 your time this Saturday.  I would think that would make it onto a major channel but doesn't indicate it here.

TNAngler

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2019, 07:14:32 AM »

Exciting game last night that definitely didn't end like it should.  Team fell into the trap that happens all too often it seems.

First period, completely dominate.  Score ended up 2-1 after first although Calgary only got I think 4 shots on goal, had none through half of the period.  The second, still dominant but got a couple penalties, scored two short handed goals (both by the same person).  Second period ended good guys up 4-1 with I think 9 shots on goal by Calgary.  Third period starts, we have dialed it back, came out expecting them to just roll over but they came out firing.  They score quickly, then again.  Then with just a couple minutes left, again.  Sigh.  Now we have lost our lead, our drive, these don't end well.  Our team start fighting back some and getting some offensive pressure, very back and forth at this point but we get a break away and score with just over a minute left.  Flames go empty net and score with just over 20 second left.  OVERTIME.  Lot of back and forth, not many good shots on either side, just a lot of skating around.  Then, with 1 second left in overtime, Flames guy pulls the puck between his legs and shoots it.  Quite a nice shot that we see from Forsberg a couple times a year but the goalie wasn't ready for that and they score.  1 second left.  I guess we got one point.

It drives me nuts when the team turtles like that and dials it back to try and hang on to the lead instead of continuing to push although I understand it.  It is a long season, anytime you can conserve energy and hits and wear and tear on the body, it is worth it, even it costs them a couple games.  7-3-2 for record so definitely not doing badly and we got all our stars back on the ice.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2019, 07:49:30 AM »

Wow that sucks.
4-1 lead ...your good players back from injury ...Flames tie the game...Preds go in lead with only short time on clock nevertheless Flames get that late goal ya state. Ouch.
Then 1 sec. left in OT & Calgary pots one in ... Ouch.
Kinda like driving an auto 20,000 miles & only 1 mile to home & engine blows / 4 flat tires.
Canucks did the same against Caps.
Hockey is such a game physical but also psychology game.
When the behind team gets it going & the other team freaks out a game can turn around quickly.
Remember Vegas in the playoffs last yr. with their big lead in the 3 rd period.
And FA reminds us ever so often about the Leafs meltdown against the Bruins about 6-7 yrs ago in a game.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2019, 12:24:59 AM »

Preds lose.
They are getting rusty. Get the oil can out.
Rangers had so many chances they could of won by a lot more if not for Saros.
Saros played great.
Ranger goalie played great & think Preds got kinda discouraged.
Definately Rangers out chanced Preds in this one.
Preds had their moments though.
Canucks pot in another 5 goal game.
Telling ya they are like the 1980s Oilers. Heard it here folks.
Leafs win.
We need a Canadian team to finally win the Stanley Cup. USA teams have hogged it long enough. (Ha !)

TNAngler

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 07:31:32 AM »

First two periods of Saturday's game were horrible.  Just played like poo.  Third was a little better but still played like poo.  Passes weren't crisp, very lazy and at half speed, missing pucks all over the place.  Although, for whatever reason, we absolutely suck at early games.  Too reliant on the routine and changing that routine makes them suck so I wasn't expecting much.  Also, it was Hockey Fights Cancer night so they did a ceremony beforehand too.  That always makes us play bad too for some reason.  So, we had both, should have expected a very rough game.  Also, on top of that, we always play like crap in front of Sauros at the beginning of the year for some reason.  Break aways, open shots in horrible spots.  Sigh.  Play again tonight and I expect this will be much better.  Sorry you had to watch that stinker.  Even though we almost came back, that is not us.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 11:14:55 AM »

First two periods of Saturday's game were horrible.  Just played like poo.  Third was a little better but still played like poo.  Passes weren't crisp, very lazy and at half speed, missing pucks all over the place.  Although, for whatever reason, we absolutely suck at early games.  Too reliant on the routine and changing that routine makes them suck so I wasn't expecting much.  Also, it was Hockey Fights Cancer night so they did a ceremony beforehand too.  That always makes us play bad too for some reason.  So, we had both, should have expected a very rough game.  Also, on top of that, we always play like crap in front of Sauros at the beginning of the year for some reason.  Break aways, open shots in horrible spots.  Sigh.  Play again tonight and I expect this will be much better.  Sorry you had to watch that stinker.  Even though we almost came back, that is not us.
Ceremony just distracts & gets players out of their game frame of mind.
A 60 minute hockey game is concentration & think & react & skate hard. One sec. your on offence going one direction & skating hard...suddenly the puck is going the other way...& in another sec. the players have to think defense...
And if the players are near the end of their shift ...speed energy reaction is slowed...the other team's line may have been out there 30 secs or more less & are fresher.
That NY Ranger goalie too was on top of his game.
Had to chuckle at your description on the Preds play. Lazy poo suck were not crisp etc...
Honestly the Preds management at home games should give you the public mic at the end of each period & TNA can tell all in attendance what he thought of the last 20 minutes of play !!!!!   ;D
If Preds playing good surely you will praise them !
But watch out if they are playing badly....
TNA grabs mic & says: You players are playing like poo,lazy,not crisp, on & on...
Head coach will not have to give a raw raw talk in dressing room because you already gave it both barrels blast.
Preds players will suck it up & play well as they do not want to get ripped embarrassed by TNA's take.
TNA tells it as it is. No candy coating.

TNAngler

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2019, 06:42:02 AM »

I do say it like it is.  What you saw was our worst game of the season, BY FAR.  And they listened to me too because we played Detroit last night.  We gave up a goal on the first shot of the game and didn't score the first period although we spent most of the time in Detroit's end.  Second period.... WOW.  We set a new team record for 5 goals in a single period on the road.  2 for 2 on the power play but the first three goals were 5 on 5.  Chased the goalie after 4.  It was just a whoopin.  Got another in the 3rd to end 6-1.  This was one of those games where it was close for a bit but at the end, you really just want it to be over because you feel so bad for the other team. 

See we play Vancouver on Tuesday next week.  I wonder which team of ours will show up.  You guys got a little love when they were talking about the upcoming schedule about how Vancouver was playing good hockey lately.  Looking forward to that game.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »

Congrads on the big W.
Domination.
Fire power.
Red Wings are far from the team they had in 90's / early 2000's.
Thanks for the "heads up" on the Canuck vs Pred game.
Thought that comes to mind is The Alamo.
Canucks slaughter the Preds in this one.  ;)
No actually it should be a great game.
Not bias but.....Canucks should win by a goal.
Create some extra interest & heat.
Every shift every pass every shot every save will matter. Not going to washrm or eat or even sneeze till intermissions.

TNAngler

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »

I hear ya.  Our top goalie is 8-0-2 through 10 games, .923 save percentage, 2.07 goals against average.  Pretty impressive.  You guys will need to be on the top of your game.

And yes, Detroit sucks now.  They gave us our first loss though and have beat us something like 9 out of the last 10.  So they have had our number so the win was actually big.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2019, 10:54:37 AM »

Preds & Canucks have near same pts.
Yes we have to be on top of our game to beat Preds.
& have to beat your good goalie.
Surprised he is so good because when I seen him play some yrs ago pucks seemed to go under his arm or between legs ...he looked unbalanced or something. He'd flop if there were rebounds & had to make 2-3 save...he'd be late getting across the net...
Either your D has given him better help or he has just improved his game ....

Canucks get a pt at less in OT loss.
Before the game 4-5 1970's Canucks players came out on the ice.
One guy was Glen Hanlen (sp?) nickname The Carrot. He got the best applause.
He was a so so goalie.
He went on to play with Blues & Rangers I think. Really assuming though on this one ...too long ago.
But he had that great personality that the fans liked.
If both goalies of the Canucks got injured last night we could of brought in The Carrot as emergency backup.  :o
I was quite busy last night so only watched the game here & there...just to check the score.
Oh when the Canucks meet the Preds another picture came to mind.
Remember Jaws as he destroyed that big fishing boat from the stern.
That old shark fishermen became his meal.
Canucks are the shark...  ;)
Gotta build some extra heat....the other team we hope to mop the floor with is those pretenders ( Leafs ) another match up with heat. ROAR  at least the Preds are the real deal but Leafs are pretenders.

Oh on the tv local news/sports 6pm the sports guy says: the Canucks are like the 1980 Oillers.
What that's what I said on comments here 2x .
The sports guy is Squire Barnes. GlobalBC
Ironic. We think alike.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 10:58:00 AM by A-BOATER »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »

Squire Barnes is a clown

TNAngler

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2019, 08:51:08 AM »

Tonight will be a good test for my team.  Colorado, in Colorado.  Messing with the lines a little bit but seems to have been a good switch back to our same dominant line as we had last year and then our new center on the second line with our other new center we got the year before who seem to play really well together.  If we can pull this one out, it will be big for confidence.  Then Saturday against San Jose, then the matchup of all matchups on Tuesday.  LOL