Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retention limits ??  (Read 4173 times)

Morty

Retention limits ??
« on: September 19, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »

I'm trying to find a source for the retention limits for each salmon species on various BC rivers.  I'm either having an unusually l-o-n-g grey moment, or the web pages and search engines have changed.

The link on www.fishingwithrod.com to "BC Freshwater Salmon Supplement" doesn't actually go to that guide.

Any other suggestions?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Retention limits ??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 01:20:29 PM »

Kind of, it does and it does not. Several years ago, someone at DFO had this bright idea that the saltwater regulations and freshwater salmon regulations should be merged into one section, and people would find everything more easily by searching the areas where they want to fish.

Well, I no longer expect anyone to find or understand anything on there anymore.

If you are looking for salmon retention limits for rivers in Region 2, it's at:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.html

To get there, you basically go to that link from my website, then click on page 3, then look under "Vancouver, Bowen Island, Indian Arm, Squamish", click on Region 2, not Area 29.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 04:36:57 PM »

the basic retention limit for salmon is 4 but gets further restricted by species and size for a specific species. Also when looking over the listings in the link Rod provided, if the waterway you are fishing isn't listed it means the retention limit is 0.

DFO changes retention limits so frequently the old method of including retention in the published Provincial Freshwater synopsis no longer makes sense. An angler really does have to check virtually before every trip out.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

ae_9

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:13:44 AM »

They should have a feature that can send you alerts when changes are made.

yoda

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »

Any idea when limits on rivers will become available?  First river with cohoes would be Capalino, and they are in there soon.
I heard they were updating , but are they making any progress?