Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pacific Balance Pinniped Society  (Read 10973 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re: Pacific Balance Pinniped Society
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 10:58:25 AM »

DFO has publicly said there will not be a cull at this time.

LOL! There you go once again Ralphie - spewing about what you know not.
Kind of a repetitive pattern with you it seems.
"Nephew of a close friend"... Hahahahaha!! Beauty!
Certainly shows just how "well placed" that individual really is.   ;)

Things are indeed developing as I noted.
It will not be overly long before I can share in that regard.
And no, the word "cull" is certainly NOT under discussion.

Cheers,
Nog

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2019, 12:31:49 PM »

I dont think they ever proposed a cull

Here is the precise quote:

In a statement to APTN News, DFO says there are no plans to authorize a large scale fishery or cull of seals or sea lions at this time.

here is the link: https://aptnnews.ca/2019/03/29/b-c-group-proposing-first-nation-led-commercial-seal-harvest-as-tensions-mount/

Dr Andrew Trites on the proposal for a seal harvest to reduce the seal population:

Andrew Trites, Director of the Marine Mammal Research Unit at the University of British Columbia, says this will end up hurting transient killer whales.

"It's being sold as 'This would be great because it's going to mean potentially more chinook salmon for southern resident killer whales to eat.'  But it's also going to mean that over half the food for transient killer whales is going to disappear.  So the next thing you know, we're now going to have a problem with trying to save the other population of killer whales, the ones who only eat marine mammals.  We're going to find them starving, thin, dropping in numbers."

He says it's time for British Columbians to have a conversation on whether we want to see an ecosystem with marine mammals, or go back to the 1960's where culling whaling killed nearly all marine mammals.

Trites adds that, although seals are one of their biggest predators, they're not the only ones.

"Mortality of the young fish starts when they leave the river system, or when they go into the river to come out.  So does it mean that ultimately we have to remove all the trout?  All the sculpins?  Remove the mergansers and the blue herons? And the mink, and the river otter?  And I just don't know where it ends.  Because at the end of the day, there's no proof that removing these predators will help save the salmon."

He adds that predators are beneficial to the fish population, as they don't hunt the fastest or strongest, but the sick and the weak.

He says although it may seem like a simple solution, hunting half of the seal and sea lion populations would end up hurting the marine ecosystem

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070/news/a-ubc-marine-mammal-researcher-says-culling-seals-is-a-bad-idea-1.8719435
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:49:07 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2019, 12:37:03 PM »

"Nephew of a close friend"... Hahahahaha!! Beauty!

you use the same vague references to inside contacts frequently.

Have you provided any substantiation that DFO approval for a harvest, a limited cull,an FN sealing industry (or whatever dodgy phrase used?) is close?  No! That smacks of hypocrisy.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2019, 12:43:16 PM »

Despite your Ad hominem provoking, I ain't taking the bait ol' boy.  ;D

You carry on with your misguided beliefs and subsequent rants.
In the long run, I WILL be having the last laugh in your direction.   ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2019, 03:20:45 PM »

Nog, would you burn your own fuel to go harvest seals if a cull opened tomorrow? There's no market for seal meat in BC right now, though I would certainly try a seal burger if you invited me over for a BBQ. I'd even bring the beer  8)

Honest question, is the seal meat they eat in Eastern Canada the same type as the harbour seals around here?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2019, 06:24:19 PM »

Despite your Ad hominem provoking, I ain't taking the bait ol' boy.  ;D

Ad hominem provocation, more of same...Hee Hee

in his presentation to the choir ...excuse me, the PBPS, the 'esteemed' Dr Walters referenced the east coast seal harvest and the lack of value in the product. By the look on his face I thought he believed there was no solid business case behind the PBPSS proposals.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:38:34 AM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2019, 04:13:58 PM »

Thomas Sewid
Admin · 2 hrs
Great news! Our dedicated leader Chief Roy Jones Jr from the Haida Nation has just informed me that D.F.O. has stated that if we have markets for seal and sea lions we First Nations can get license to sell!

Now that we know this, we can now announce that the group we are building is going to be led by the names I posted two days ago and more First Nations that want to join in the group.

We are now PACIFIC BALANCE MARINE MANAGEMENT, but we will not change name of group until our directors/advisers from throughout the coast agree at conference call on Monday.

Fellow First Nations we have your markets and now proceeding to get Letters of Intent to purchase from the companies and countries that want our seal and sea lion products.

Time for First Nations Bands, organizations and you the individual to contact Roy and I so we can get your process to harvest and sell put together. Ensure your Band has rights to harvest and get your license to sell from D.F.O. first before trying to sell. As always, follow the Law to the T.

Reach out and get your own markets as well. The door is open, let the HARVEST THE HERD begin!

To our fellow North American Indians south of the border, yes we need you all on board to help protect our salmon. This is a great time to invest in the new fishery of seals and sea lions that will help protect our salmon. Under J-Treaty there may be ways to get your harvested animals to Canada to sell? If interested in supporting, please contact one of us. We are here to help in anyway we can.

If you're new to group, please don't clutter comment thread with possible markets - the markets have all been posted in this group. Scroll away and see.

Non-natives, this is all about protecting salmon, so if you want those seal hide seat covers for your boat that water beads off so you don't get a wet arse, contact me. Yes, you can send us a Letter of Intent To Purchase if you want to diversify your business or build a new one with First Nations harvested seal and sea lion.

D.F.O. will be getting my application next week for me to harvest, process my own hides, make seat covers and clothing and market myself to sell.

HARVEST THE HERD!

Roy Jones Jr. 778-840-7897 pacificbalance@haidagwaii.net

Email: tom.sewid@gmail.com

Cell Canada: 604-724-7325 U.S. Cell 206-604-3303 In U.S. so call me on this number.

It's been a long 13 months of volunteer work, so please share post.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2019, 04:40:59 PM »

Hasn't it always been about finding a market?   Good luck with that ..

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »

Hasn't it always been about finding a market?   Good luck with that ..

They have commitments from companies like these https://www.furcanada.com/ for small scale orders.  Depending on how the harvest gets approved where and when it has the potential to have an impact.

I am not counting them out yet

dcajaxs

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 06:14:00 AM »

If every fisherman bought a fur coat to support the reduction of seal numbers locally how many less seals would be on the water?  How many pieces of fur go into a coat? I'm sure that theres a market for seal meat in dog food if its not for human consumption.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »

If every fisherman bought a fur coat to support the reduction of seal numbers locally how many less seals would be on the water?  How many pieces of fur go into a coat? I'm sure that theres a market for seal meat in dog food if its not for human consumption.

Hilarious! I can just see every angler dumping their gortex for seal fur coats. Seal based dog food will never sell. Still waiting for the toxicology test results!

StillAqua

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 11:29:39 AM »

Marketing, marketing.....You can buy Harp seal oils as omega 3 oil supplements (they have extra DPA) from about a dozen different suppliers on Amazon and some people swear by them. But they still only take less than 10% of the allotted east coast Harp and Gray seal harvest quotas because they can't move the meat or skins. Many of the carcasses end up on the ocean floor. It'll take many years before the image of cute fuzzy white baby seals having their head bashed on the ice fades from the public memory and they can perhaps rebuild a domestic and perhaps Asian market.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2019, 08:26:09 AM »

There's much more to it than just finding a buyer. Seal and sea lion harvest is bound to be a costly proposition. It is labor and time intensive.

zap brannigan

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 02:25:35 PM »

ill gladly eat them, seal is pretty good.