Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink salmon flies  (Read 12227 times)

psd1179

• Old Timer
Pink salmon flies
« on: May 27, 2019, 10:45:57 AM »

My salmon fly fishing experience are poor. May anybody post some their pink salmon flies for salt and for river. What size is the hook selection?

Thanks

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Pink salmon flies
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 06:33:28 PM »

Most anglers who have done it successfully for a few years will tell you pattern isn't that important. Color is and either hot or florescent pink or Cerise are most popular, particular for a wing of hair or synthetic or marabou. Chartreuse and blue are also useful, particularly on the East Van Island beaches. I have also done well with a clouser style pattern of florescent chartreuse and pink fake fur.  Sizes in 6 to 10 or 12 seem most popular. The body I favour is either diamond braid (silver gold etc, doesn't matter) or plastic or sparkle chenille is pink or Cerise. The clearer the water, the smaller the pattern

I will post photos of a few patterns later.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »

what RalphH says....
Blue with some flash is also good on the Vedder canal in September because you will pick up the early cohos as well as the pinks.
It ain't the roe bro'

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 02:25:12 PM »

I can't speak with saltwater locations but for targeting Pinks migrating through the Vedder / Fraser confluence area, my go to fly pattern is a small size 10 nymph hook, hot pink thread wrapped body, few strands of pink crinkle flash and a few strands of holographic flash, topped with a pink bead head. I usually fish strip retrieving on a clear intermediate tip.

Small and sparse is key. A friend and I a few years back were fishing the confluence from a boat in the peak of the pink run and hooked over a hundred between the two of us. We did a lot of experimenting with different flies, sizes and colors. We caught fish on all of them but hookups were noticeably up with with smaller and sparser flies and have done well on them since.

End of the day, Pink salmon aren't overly picky and will bite almost anything presented but thats my go to.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 08:58:29 AM »

Sneaky looking pattern BNF

Check out the Pink Eve - I think this was the first published BC fly tied specifically for Pinks http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can135.php

Another was Cathy's Coat" https://www.iwff.ca/FLY%20TYING/FLY/Cathy's%20Coat.pdf

here are a few of mine:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:54:59 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 10:21:42 AM »

It ain't the roe bro'

Moloto

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 12:56:35 PM »

Sneaky looking pattern BNF

Check out the Pink Eve - I think this was the first published BC fly tied specifically for Pinks http://flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can135.php

Another was Cathy's Coat" https://www.iwff.ca/FLY%20TYING/FLY/Cathy's%20Coat.pdf

here are a few of mine:

Noticed that one of your flies is tied on a circle hook. Any differences in hook ups with circles? Been thinking about giving it a shot to reduce foul hooking them when they are in thick.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 04:29:19 PM »

Let's hope some pinks actually come in this year!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 08:58:09 AM »

I have only used the circle hooks a few times but was very satisfied with how they worked. Establishing a hookup once a fish takes is different, just continue your retrieve or use a slip strike once the hook set is established I seldom lost a fish. Foul hooking happens seldom and the fish quickly shed the hook in most cases.

The PSF preliminary Pink Salmon outlook for the south coast/Fraser is reasonably promising. No estimates have been released but it is supposed to be better than '17 and some runs are forecast to be abundant.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:49:16 PM by RalphH »

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 10:59:52 PM »

The PSF prilimiary Pink Salmon outlook for the south coast/Fraser is reasonably promising. No estimates have been released but it is supposed to be better than '17 and some runs are forecast to be abundant.

Oh?  Where have you seen this?  All the Washington pink salmon returns are forecast to be terrible to dismal, with some worse than 17.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 08:34:06 AM »

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/species-especes/salmon-saumon/outlook-perspective/2019-summ-somm-eng.html

Pink 2019 Outlook

11 Outlook Units
    37 CUs
    Northern BC: uncertainty and continued poor returns expected
    Southern BC: some fisheries expected; many groups abundant

https://pacificwild.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/DRAFT-Southern-Salmon-IFMP-19-20-February-2019.pdf:

The total 2019 forecast of Fraser Pink Salmon ranges from 2.5 million to 10.6 million at the 10% and 90% probability-levels, with a median (50% probability level) forecast of 5.0 million. The median forecast is below average (12.7 million)

Chances are the Campbell/Quinsum runs, which are super enhanced, will be open to retention. Looks like a reasonable chance there will be some retention on the Fraser system if returns are around the median probability level.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 12:08:47 PM »

I got a box of these. But none have caught pink salmon

bobby b

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »

I do well in the Squamish on small chartreuse muddlers for Pinks....

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 11:50:53 PM »

I got a box of these. But none have caught pink salmon

If you are selling let me know ;)
A rig out of water catches no fish.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 06:51:39 PM »

I have found my go to fly