Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pacific Balance Pinniped Society  (Read 10978 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Pacific Balance Pinniped Society
« on: October 19, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »

The new group "PACIFIC BALANCE PINNIPED SOCIETY" is up and running.

For those on Facebook, they have a new page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1864653340315808/?ref=gs&fref=gs&dti=1864653340315808&hc_location=group

Their management plan has been submitted, and early indications suggest support from local DFO.
Coast wide support among FN's, and both recreational and commercial sectors has been very strong.

I suspect these folks will be getting on with their HARVEST (not cull!) programs reasonably soon.

I, for one, wish them All The Best!!   ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Fatso

Re: Pacific Balance Pinniped Society
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 09:37:22 AM »

Yes!  Me too.   :)

Fatso

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:36:44 AM »

But the cull will never be allowed regardless.  The people in charge of “saving the world” will never allow it. 🙀
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:40:06 AM by Fatso »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »

But the cull will never be allowed regardless.  The people in charge of “saving the world” will never allow it. 🙀

This group is making incredible progress, They already got permission to harvest 30 seals.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 01:00:51 PM »

In this you are mistaken.
The program is already underway.
And, there has been no hiding of it.
Both regular media and online have reported on the Society and what they are up to repeatedly.

Methinks Paul McCartney and Pam Anderson might be a little shy of engaging the FN's...   ;D

Cheers,
Nog

Fatso

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 09:47:56 AM »

Really?
Great! Its the most sensible thing so I didnt think it could possibly happen.  :D

Fatso

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »

This group is making incredible progress, They already got permission to harvest 30 seals.

Great.... so are there any updates?

Did they actually do this?

I would like to be invited to the bbq! 🤣

fishfulangler

• Reel that sucker in!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 08:01:19 AM »

I doubt this cull is actually necessary. There's alot of other reasons the salmon fishery is in decline. Oceans getting warmer and more acidic due to climate change and pollution. Commercial fisheries. FN illegally selling fish they've caught. On top of that, there's research that says a cull of the seals and sea lions will have little to no effect on the salmon population.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 10:19:10 AM »

.... On top of that, there's research that says a cull of the seals and sea lions will have little to no effect on the salmon population.

The greatest scientific minds this coast has to offer have a diametrically apposed opinion to what you just stated. In fact, the eminent Dr. Carl Walters, and the Head of Sciences at DFO Nanaimo helped co-author the related IFMP, and are both fully in support.

While there are nay-sayers, I prefer to rely on those with numbers of peer reviewed papers, and decades of solid related research behind them.

Cheers,
Nog

Fatso

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 10:31:15 AM »

I think it stands to reason that is you can eliminate the number of predators that target the salmon, the population of salmon will increase.  So bring on the cull of sealions and seals. 
Lets have a lovely bar-b-que.   8)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 07:09:57 AM »

Any updates on this cull?
30 Seals is a start but not much of one at all.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 11:35:57 AM »

Any updates on this cull?

As you can imagine, the wheels on the DFO bus rotate damn slowly.
That said, there has been a fair amount of progress over the past couple of months.
We are getting close at this point.
I will elaborate more as the time comes...

Cheers,
Nog

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 11:47:24 AM »

They just need the proper spin to get people on board.  I'd put it this way - seals and sea lions are threatening the food source of SRKWs - they eat massive amounts of juvenile chinook as they migrate out to sea, so the chinook can't survive to grow fat to feed the whales.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 09:11:40 AM »

DFO has publicly said there will not be a cull at this time. Nephew of a close friend is well placed within DFO and says the risks outlined by Dr Trites and others have been accepted. The opinion of Carl Walters have are just that, opinion. Risks of a cull are thought to far outwieght any benefits.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 10:27:19 AM »

DFO has publicly said there will not be a cull at this time. Nephew of a close friend is well placed within DFO and says the risks outlined by Dr Trites and others have been accepted. The opinion of Carl Walters have are just that, opinion. Risks of a cull are thought to far outwieght any benefits.

I dont think they ever proposed a cull