Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Introducing the proposed amended Fisheries Act  (Read 3777 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Introducing the proposed amended Fisheries Act
« on: February 06, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/campaign-campagne/fisheries-act-loi-sur-les-peches/proposed-propose-eng.html#how

Introducing the proposed amended Fisheries Act
Canadians have called for strong legislation that will protect our fish and fish habitat for future generations. Following extensive consultation, we heard from thousands of Canadians, including over 200 Indigenous groups, who said that they want strong, fair and clear legislation that sustains our environment and protects our oceans and waterways.

On February 6, 2018, we introduced proposed amendments to restore lost protections and incorporate modern safeguards into the Fisheries Act.

A healthy and thriving fishing sector is of vital importance to our economy. While protection of fish and fish habitat was a key focus for this legislation, we also looked at changes to support the sustainability of Canada’s marine resources for generations to come.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Introducing the proposed amended Fisheries Act
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:29:40 PM »

Hope this stops gravel mining of our rivers, Vedder River and get Fish Farms out of our oceans too. Thanks for the link.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »

Hope this stops gravel mining of our rivers, Vedder River and get Fish Farms out of our oceans too. Thanks for the link.

Gravel mining is very unluckily to stop, concrete sand is hard to get right now in the lower mainland.ao were lickly to see continued extractions. I hope tho that the new regulations once implemented will stop it.

I also beleive that fish farms that are within fist nation territory that want them removed will be removed. The government is moving towards reconciliation.

Fish farms that are not in highly contested First Nations area will probably lasts longer.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »

Gravel mining is very unluckily to stop, concrete sand is hard to get right now in the lower mainland.ao were lickly to see continued extractions. I hope tho that the new regulations once implemented will stop it.

I also beleive that fish farms that are within fist nation territory that want them removed will be removed. The government is moving towards reconciliation.

Fish farms that are not in highly contested First Nations area will probably lasts longer.

I agree, and would add this is a great opportunity for pro fish farming FN to get involved in this growing industry.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:22:46 PM »

I agree, and would add this is a great opportunity for pro fish farming FN to get involved in this growing industry.

A savvy First Nations group I bet could even convince the federal government to pay for the infrastructure. After all that would ensure the group has fish for the years to come.

Should be interesting to see how all this shakes out.