Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lower Fraser Netting/ killing  (Read 3003 times)

AaronWilde

• Old Timer
  • Teh Fishes
Lower Fraser Netting/ killing
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:48:27 PM »

Me and a few buds were down at 5 road in Richmond Sturgeon fishing last Saturday (June 10th), and a small boat with a gill net rolls up in front of where we are fishing. It is low slack tide. I tried to shout and ask what they were fishing for, and they ignored me. Not sure who but they seemed brown skinned (really don't want to make this racial, but it could help solve this?). They let their net sit for about an hour, tucked just out of sight of the main river in the ferry channel. Half hour in, they went and released some fish from the middle of the net, which proceeded to float upside down. After another half hour, they pulled in the net, and to our surprise they were clearly getting some large Chinook. After they got the net in, they quickly released some fish back into the river (looked like they put some Chinook back), and sped off in a hurry, not to be seen again. After they left I spent a few casts and hooked into the first fish which got caught in their net mid way through the hour that was tangled and released from the net. It was a 4-5 foot dead Sturgeon, with a big chunk of flesh cut in its back. We were disgusted with what we had laid witness to. Really wish we took pictures or knew who to call..
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:37:42 AM by AaronWilde »

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Lower Fraser Netting/ killing
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 01:22:28 PM »

I double checked FOC fishery notices to make sure that there wasn't an aboriginal chinook fishery open in the lower Fraser. Doesn't appear that there is.

Really wish we took pictures or knew who to call..

I have both the ORR and RAPP phone numbers as contacts in my phone
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/enf-loi/report-signaler-eng.htm

As well, you can also download the BCWF Conservantion app to make reports in online in real time. Although I have not yet used the app, you can attach photos and your map location to your online report.         
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:26:42 PM by clarki »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:43:24 PM »

it doesn't hurt to call the local band office (Musqueam in this case) and advise them what you saw. The bands do try (usually successfully)to get members to adhere to their agreements with DFO. There is considerable peer pressure applied to those who think they have the right to act outside those agreements to comply.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:45:56 PM by RalphH »

AaronWilde

• Old Timer
  • Teh Fishes
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 08:32:01 AM »

Thanks for the replies. We saw a Port Authority boat come in that same area to check things out before the netters showed up too - made us wonder. I'll put those numbers in my cell and call up the band if we see that again. Part of me feels really bad about calling in on them because I can't help but fathom how many fish there would've been 200 years ago. Thx again for the info guys